2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
29 members (Georg Z., ChiaraTor, EssBrace, Flygbladet, FrankCox, 8 invisible), 374 guests, and 446 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Modern Alternatives to the Metronome
#3002306 07/13/20 08:10 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Using a metronome really challenges me and helps me gauge how well I know a piece, so I developed an interest in playing my various pieces against a metronome. I started with a traditional metronome but quickly decided that it wasn't for me -- the sound is harsh and the metronome is overall very finicky.

Maybe my experience was a 1-off, but it started me on this journey of finding a better metronome and I wrote up a whole article to share:

Modern Alternatives to the Metronome

Here's what I ended up with, you can see some basic examples from my Alfred book:

And here's some polyrhythm fun!:

Yes, I ended up with a groovebox -- I didn't know anything about these when I started out. The groovebox ended up being the same price as higher end metronomes, but is an independent instrument that is so much more than a metronome. It is much more fun than any old regular metronome -- my kids love making beats on it and are creatively inspired. So why not?

Thought I'd share my experience and learn from the experience of others willing to share... going down the rabbit hole can be fun!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Modern Alternatives to the Metronome
navindra #3002335 07/13/20 09:48 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Based solely on the example of the first video above, it seems to me that you are looking for - and have found - a metronome that's going to do all the work for a student without that student having to think or figure anything out for him/herself. In simple 3/4 time, does one have to have a metronome that counts the half-beats when they come up in the music, and skip them when they don't? Can't a student count from one to three, and add a half beat when necessary when one occurs without the help of this device?

With such a device, where's the student's thinking, active involvement and actual learning in the process if this device is going to do all the "thinking"? How will a student ever learn even basic rhythms if everything has to be subservient to a metronome that virtually tells him/her what to do and when to do it? When the student misplaces the metronome or when the battery runs out before a new one is bought, will the student be rhythmically helpless?

I'm afraid that I see such a device - and the use of it that is demonstrated in the first video - as a crutch that severely limits a student's learning.

A simple mechanical or digital metronome that just beats out the tempo that one chooses is all the metronome that one needs.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
navindra #3002339 07/13/20 10:18 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Thanks for the feedback, BruceD!

What I was intending to demo was a metronome that could play any arbitrary drum sound, vocalization, or sample, you might want, accenting anything you might want in creative ways. In this case I used counting as an example, which is something other metronomes support as well in more limited fashion, but it's in no way limited that way... your creativity and vision is the limit.

When I play for my teacher, I don't use this metronome at all but I certainly do count everything all by myself -- in fact, counting has become very easy for me now. The metronome is purely a tool and supports a few dimensions of practice. There are many other dimensions to be practiced in different ways that do not involve the metronome at all.

In this case, the metronome can be a tool to help internalize and understand the beat... used judiciously.

navindra #3002357 07/14/20 12:36 AM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
People have been using a traditional metronome with a swinging pendulum since the time of Beethoven 200+ years ago. Today you can still find these but it is increasingly being replaced by metronome apps that can be downloaded onto a smartphone or tablet. The alternative is a portable battery-operated pocket-size metronome.

An app has more options available than an old fashioned swinging pendulum such as changing Time Signature, the sound of the ticks and tuning notes for people who have to tune their portable instruments.

Going 1 step further I'd find at least 1 online recording of the piece I'm working on and play along. At the student level there are half-dozen learning pieces that are already posted by teachers & students like the "Minuet in G" & "Musette in D" from the Notebook for Anna M. Bach. I play violin with a music group so playing with soundtracks instead of a metronome works just as well. We usually have a conductor waving a baton.

The Korg sample above is like a notation program with the songs in memory and the device counting along. When practicing music I'd simplify counting by doing every song in 1s so I don't have to keep track of which song has 2 and which has 4 for each measure. Our music group played a few Johann Strauss waltzes like "Blue Danube" & "Emperor". The conductor would use a 1 beat (triplet) substitute for the 3 beats to a measure. It's less tiring for him than waving a stick quickly to show 3 beats per measure for 7 minutes.

thepianoplayer416 #3002369 07/14/20 01:39 AM
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Going 1 step further I'd find at least 1 online recording of the piece I'm working on and play along. At the student level there are half-dozen learning pieces that are already posted by teachers & students like the "Minuet in G" & "Musette in D" from the Notebook for Anna M. Bach. I play violin with a music group so playing with soundtracks instead of a metronome works just as well. We usually have a conductor waving a baton.
Oh, good point and thanks for pointing to that practice strategy. It's not something I've tried before.

After all, that's partly why books like Alfred come with a CD and why the children method books come with accompanying music for kids to play along and clap along to.

So it's not such an alien idea to play along to a metronome count either. The volca has full flexibility in terms of muting parts and level adjustment... my teacher often asks me to play while counting different ways, so that works here.

Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
The Korg sample above is like a notation program with the songs in memory and the device counting along.

Yes, you are right, you'd ultimately want to generate a drum track straight from the score. The KORG device is not this powerful and more limited but some other metronomes accept MIDI and can probably do something like this.

navindra #3003491 07/16/20 08:40 PM
M
M
Anything that clicks will work, it more about learning ways to use the metronome. Like hearing it as only 2 and 4, or only as 1. Because you need to work on building your own internal metronome. There are some good metronome apps that you can set to randomly stop audible click for a few measures then audible click returns. This way you can see how well you keep time without the constant click.

Real cool metronome trick turn on, and hear the click as the 1 of 5/4 and get the feel for the beat timing. Now come in with click as 1 of 4/4. What this does is move the click over one beat every measure. First click is on 1, next time it clicks its on 2, and so on. Take some getting used to, to do but really cool trick to develop your internal sense of time.

Oh just a reminder if you hear the click you're out of time. if you're in time your clapping or playing will make the click disappear.

navindra #3004184 07/19/20 03:31 AM
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
So I know there's been a lot of skepticism here, but I can at least provide one datapoint -- as someone with beginner skills working my way through the Alfred book with a teacher.

My teacher does not even know about this device I've been using to practice. In fact, we haven't even gotten to the point where metronomes have been introduced as a practice tool.

Lately, she's been passing me on my Alfred pieces and explicitly calling out that I've "definitely gotten the rhythm" on these pieces.

The standout factor here is that I've been using the volca quite a bit while practicing. A tool is just a tool and needs to be used judiciously... not advocating anything more than that, and I've been counting out loud quite easily as well.

Just sharing what I've learned, and what seems to be working for me as an adult beginner. I'm going to be working on more pieces with swing/syncopation, so it will be interesting to see if things start to fall apart for me now!

navindra #3004406 07/19/20 04:22 PM
S
S
Navindra,
I think this is cool and I would like to know more on how you set it up.
I believe you have to essentially enter step by step each song correct ?
You should do a video on how to get and import the samples and the program it.
Definitely down the rabbit hole! My main interest is in having the vocal and the ‘&’ counts....
Thanks for sharing!

navindra #3004409 07/19/20 04:35 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I can understand everyone's skepticism -- learning how to count is one of the most important skills for a beginner, and you need to be able to do that on your own.

But I think this is a great learning tool, especially for the polyrhythms! I think it's cool to be able to change which (the duplets or the triplets) gets the count and which gets the beat etc., and have it focus on different aspects (turning the volume down on one or the other). I can imagine all kinds of ways this could be used for a learning tool and also as something to play along with.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
navindra #3004482 07/19/20 08:09 PM
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by navindra

And here's some polyrhythm fun!:

An "Acid House" metronome. I like it!

ShiroKuro #3004546 07/20/20 01:11 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
I can understand everyone's skepticism -- learning how to count is one of the most important skills for a beginner, and you need to be able to do that on your own.
The importance of counting comes second, while the pronunciation of the rhythm comes first. The experience of Hindus in 4.5 thousand years says something ...
And for counting, you can use a talking metronome.

Last edited by Nahum; 07/20/20 01:11 AM.
navindra #3004607 07/20/20 07:13 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
What do you mean by the “pronunciation of the rhythm”? I’ve never heard that term.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #3004691 07/20/20 11:09 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
N
What do you mean by the “pronunciation of the rhythm”? I’ve never heard that term.
Pronunciation is the way in which a word or a language is spoken.

https://naanfunctionalharmony.com/2013/11/02/rhythmic-building-blocks/

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUPLAYER_alionello&time_continue=16&v=BBY4PZaYplc[/video]

navindra #3004698 07/20/20 11:24 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Ahh, thanks for those links.

That's super interesting! And it reminds me of how Japanese taiko drumming is taught (and written), with symbols like that.

As with the comment I made above, I feel like this rhythm pronunciation could be esp. good with polyrhythms.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #3004704 07/20/20 11:35 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
N
That's super interesting! And it reminds me of how Japanese taiko drumming is taught (and written), with symbols like that.
Oh! I've never heard about ; you are the first in my life to mention this! Is this such a big secret? I would like to know more.

OK,I see - Kuchi shōga

Last edited by Nahum; 07/20/20 11:41 AM.
navindra #3004717 07/20/20 11:54 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I meant syllables, not symbols. (Autocorrect)

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: About rhythm counting in (West) Africa
navindra #3004720 07/20/20 12:04 PM
N
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
N

From 4:00

No metronomes!

Last edited by Nahum; 07/20/20 12:06 PM.
Re: About rhythm counting in (West) Africa
Nahum #3004751 07/20/20 01:42 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Nahum
Pronunciation is the way in which a word or a language is spoken.

https://naanfunctionalharmony.com/2013/11/02/rhythmic-building-blocks/

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUPLAYER_alionello&time_continue=16&v=BBY4PZaYplc[/video]

That's all very interesting, yes, interesting indeed. However, most of us here are playing western classical music where the most complex polyrhythms we encounter are two/three, three/four, and occasionally two/five.

Learning a new vocabulary of rhythm pronunciation seems to be more than most of us would ever need. Moreover, since almost all the music that we play is contained within measures of repeated, regular beats, I don't see the need for "pronouncing" every sixteenth-note or every thirty-second note within a measure.

Surely, if I were playing something like this:

[Linked Image]

I don't need to pronounce every sixteenth note when there is no polyrhythm nor any complexity to the rhythmic pattern. If the unit of measure is the quarter note, can't just about everyone play four even sixteenths to the quarter without having to count every sixteenth?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
navindra #3004775 07/20/20 02:37 PM
N
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by BruceD
That's all very interesting, yes, interesting indeed. However, most of us here are playing western classical music where the most complex polyrhythms we encounter are two/three, three/four, and occasionally two/five.

You, like the vast majority of academic teachers, are mistaken. This is the result of a Eurocentric approach to teaching the development of rhythmic hearing, which is a small share in the world's musical culture. The most striking proof of this is the huge number of questions in an differents forums: how to develop a rhythmic feeling, how to read a rhythm and how to perform it. On this forum alone, I have counted (yes, yes, if necessary, I count!) 75 threads on rhythm problems, some of which contain 150 posts.
That is: there is a problem, and it has not disappeared from the period of the piano teachers of the 18th century. This is all the same rake
on which stumbles again and again every new generation of students; who are taught to scratch the left ear with the right hand , and from behind.
I suggest reading the rhythm of Adagio from Bach's 1st Violin Sonata using counting .

http://www.sergeblanc.com/files/bach-sonatas-partitas-en.pdf

By the way, the indigenous people of Africa do not ask in forums how to develop a sense of rhythm ...

navindra #3004791 07/20/20 03:15 PM
N
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by BruceD
[
[Linked Image]

I don't need to pronounce every sixteenth note when there is no polyrhythm nor any complexity to the rhythmic pattern. If the unit of measure is the quarter note, can't just about everyone play four even sixteenths to the quarter without having to count every sixteenth?

Regards,
Here you are absolutely right, but for the reason that only two repeating simple rhythmic patterns appear; which makes reading rhythm easier: taatiki, takatiki .In more complex cases, it is required to isolate each different pattern (in a logically written music, the number of patterns is limited), provide it with syllables for pronouncing, and learn it like a dictionary; and only then go to the tool. In India, the tradition is that students study Konnakol for 2 years while, before picking up the instrument.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice for small handed player(9th interval max)
by dcbluepiano - 08/14/20 11:43 PM
Roland FP-30 WAV volume vs keyboard volume
by Richard Bruer - 08/14/20 10:57 PM
Yamaha Sound Decay
by Lonnie Bear - 08/14/20 07:44 PM
Experiences with Roland RD-88 (or Yamaha CP88)?
by Karnevil - 08/14/20 07:35 PM
Lord Vinheterio?
by JeanieA - 08/14/20 07:11 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,932
Posts2,991,973
Members98,150
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission