2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
CajunJ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by CajunJ
Originally Posted by bennevis
She’s very serious, which is what I want. But, I don’t just want to play classical sheet music. I want to play creatively without sheet music as I do on guitar. I mentioned this and it sounded like she could accommodate it, but still in a traditional manner. I just wonder how loose she will be, while I think the other place sounded too loose. Should I just go with the strict traditionalist and worry about improvising and all that stuff down the road??
Learn the basics first, then with your new skills, you can do everything else. You can't create if you don't have the tools or skills.

Just like a child would need to learn the basics of written English before she can write a story, or a poem.

BTW, there's nothing to stop you attempting to play anything you fancy by ear, or improvising, even whilst you are having lessons and learning to read music.

Thank you, bennevis. I’m leaning that way. It makes sense to lay a proper foundation. I just don’t want to get stuck into only being able to play if I’m reading the sheet.

You could go to your piano right now, without any training in key signatures and harmonic progression, and improvise based only on what sounds good to your ears. With basic training and understanding, it will amazingly improve. If it you are learning to read music, you are always free to take what you are learning and to improvise on the concept or the melody.... you are never stuck

Thanks, dogperson. That’s definitely true. I’ll most likely go with the traditional approach. She said I could supplement with jazz lessons in a few years.

CajunJ #3000682 07/09/20 02:08 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I’ll most likely go with the traditional approach. She said I could supplement with jazz lessons in a few years.
This makes sense and I think it's a good sign that she said you could take jazz lessons in the future. I don't think it makes much sense to take jazz until you have some foundation. Kind of like most people don't study the organ until they've had some background on the piano.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/09/20 02:09 PM.
C
CajunJ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I’ll most likely go with the traditional approach. She said I could supplement with jazz lessons in a few years.
This makes sense and I think it's a good sign that she said you could take jazz lessons in the future. I don't think it makes much sense to take jazz until you have some foundation. Kind of like most people don't study the organ until they've had some background on the piano.

I agree! I’ll stick with her I think.

CajunJ #3000906 07/10/20 02:12 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Which makes me wonder about in-person lessons with the virus. I just contacted another local teacher and she said she’s doing zoom lessons, which I don’t really want to do... I hope things get back to normal soon.

My teacher switched to Zoom lessons as soon as lockdown started. She also teaches my two grandsons (almost 9 and just 7). The 7 year old just started during lockdown. My daughter and I pondered for a while whether to wait until when he could start with in person lessons again, but in the end decided he was so enthusiastic to get started that it would be worth a trial to see. So that is what we did.

It has worked out fine, so much so that both grandsons are having extra lessons during the summer break. And its the younger ones enthusiasm that is driving that.

The only important thing about zoom lessons is that you get a decent microphone. Lap top mikes tend to drop off very rapidly as you move away from them so it is hard to get consistent sound. I have a Blue Yeti that I use and its perfect, but my daughter has its cheaper brother, the Snowball and that works fine also.

[Linked Image]

akc42 #3000983 07/10/20 07:19 AM
C
CajunJ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by akc42
Which makes me wonder about in-person lessons with the virus. I just contacted another local teacher and she said she’s doing zoom lessons, which I don’t really want to do... I hope things get back to normal soon.

My teacher switched to Zoom lessons as soon as lockdown started. She also teaches my two grandsons (almost 9 and just 7). The 7 year old just started during lockdown. My daughter and I pondered for a while whether to wait until when he could start with in person lessons again, but in the end decided he was so enthusiastic to get started that it would be worth a trial to see. So that is what we did.

It has worked out fine, so much so that both grandsons are having extra lessons during the summer break. And its the younger ones enthusiasm that is driving that.

The only important thing about zoom lessons is that you get a decent microphone. Lap top mikes tend to drop off very rapidly as you move away from them so it is hard to get consistent sound. I have a Blue Yeti that I use and its perfect, but my daughter has its cheaper brother, the Snowball and that works fine also.

Good to know, AKC. I’m interested to see how Zoom goes. I have two trial Zoom lessons next week. I’ll also take a look at those mics.

CajunJ #3001103 07/10/20 01:20 PM
M
M

Thanks, dogperson. That’s definitely true. I’ll most likely go with the traditional approach. She said I could supplement with jazz lessons in a few years.
Just as an aside, one of the YouTubers I follow, Bill Hilton, has a ebook "How to really play Piano" which is intended to backfill stuff one needs for jazz and stuff.

https://www.billspianopages.com/how-to-really/

Last edited by mizmar; 07/10/20 01:21 PM.
akc42 #3001210 07/10/20 04:18 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...]The only important thing about zoom lessons is that you get a decent microphone. Lap top mikes tend to drop off very rapidly as you move away from them so it is hard to get consistent sound. I have a Blue Yeti that I use and its perfect, but my daughter has its cheaper brother, the Snowball and that works fine also.

Another vote for the Blue Yeti microphone.

Another element that has vastly improved reception to others listening to my broadcasting is the fact that I upgraded my Internet speed: download 75Mbps and upload 8Mbps. A minimum upload speed of 5Mbps for good transmission is recommended. I also connect directly to my router via an Ethernet cable rather than using Wi-fi.

In Zoom, make sure that "Turn on original sound" is enabled, and disable "Suppress Persistent Background Noise" and disable "Suppress Intermittent Background Noise" in Audio/Advanced.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #3001236 07/10/20 05:11 PM
C
CajunJ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...]The only important thing about zoom lessons is that you get a decent microphone. Lap top mikes tend to drop off very rapidly as you move away from them so it is hard to get consistent sound. I have a Blue Yeti that I use and its perfect, but my daughter has its cheaper brother, the Snowball and that works fine also.

Another vote for the Blue Yeti microphone.

Another element that has vastly improved reception to others listening to my broadcasting is the fact that I upgraded my Internet speed: download 75Mbps and upload 8Mbps. A minimum upload speed of 5Mbps for good transmission is recommended. I also connect directly to my router via an Ethernet cable rather than using Wi-fi.

In Zoom, make sure that "Turn on original sound" is enabled, and disable "Suppress Persistent Background Noise" and disable "Suppress Intermittent Background Noise" in Audio/Advanced.

Regards,

Thanks, Bruce. I didn’t know Zoom had those options. Good to know.

CajunJ #3002127 07/13/20 11:22 AM
C
CajunJ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Had my first trail lesson via zoom...and 30 minutes felt way too short. What’s your opinion on lesson time? I’m going to have to go longer.

Book she uses is Faber Piano Adventures for adults. Anybody else use this?

Next trial lesson is tomorrow.

CajunJ #3002137 07/13/20 11:43 AM
J
Online Embarrased
J
My lessons are an hour and we always run out of time. But I do only have lessons every other week, my teacher talks a lot (sometimes about nonsense), and I tend to work on too many pieces at once. In my opinion you should aim for at least 45 min, and you may find that an hour is best eventually.

CajunJ #3002139 07/13/20 11:49 AM
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
I agree with 45 min to 1 hr weekly for adult lessons

There is a running Faber discussion group... ignore the ‘graduates’ in the title
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2295775/faber-graduates.html#Post2295775

CajunJ #3002149 07/13/20 12:34 PM
C
CajunJ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Awesome, thanks. Yes, 45 minutes minimum I think will be the way to go. Thanks for the link dogperson!

CajunJ #3002188 07/13/20 01:57 PM
Had my first trail lesson via zoom...and 30 minutes felt way too short. What’s your opinion on lesson time? I’m going to have to go longer.

Book she uses is Faber Piano Adventures for adults. Anybody else use this?

Next trial lesson is tomorrow.

I'm a little late to the party, but figured I would chime in.

Last year I started using Adult Piano Adventures with adult beginners who cannot yet read music. I'm not totally sold on it, to be honest (and may experiment with Alfred at some point in the future), but it's not terrible.

I recommend 30 minute lessons to most of my beginners. Most will move up to longer lesson after a few months. If 30 minutes feels to short, feel free to ask your teacher for longer lessons. But you might have to be content with another timeslot, or maybe even wait until a longer timeslot opens up.

Austin Rogers, PhD, ARSM
Music Teacher in Cedar Park, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko"
CajunJ #3002199 07/13/20 02:32 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I also prefer 45-minute lessons, but I only take lessons every 2 weeks. I find 30 minutes too short, and an hour too long.

I also started on Faber's Adult All-in-One Book 1 when I first started with my teacher. It was fine. I liked it for what it was. I would recommend it to other adult beginners. I have since moved to the RCM curriculum but that was on my request.

Kawai K500
CajunJ #3002234 07/13/20 04:33 PM
W
W
Lesson time you can work out with your teacher. It varies. I take 30 min lessons. I feel that's all I can absorb. As it is now, as soon as I get in my car I immediately write down everything that had just happened. And the more I prepare for my lesson, the more stuff she throws back at me.

CajunJ #3002245 07/13/20 05:06 PM
C
CajunJ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I’m interested to see the difference between today’s teacher and tomorrow’s. Today’s teacher was pretty loose, but I’m sure we’d have more structure once I got the books and we worked them.

I’ve been playing non-stop since I got my board a few days ago. I can’t stop! Definitely wayyyyy more my instrument than guitar. That’s just the way it is.

CajunJ #3002252 07/13/20 05:24 PM
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
I’m interested to see the difference between today’s teacher and tomorrow’s. Today’s teacher was pretty loose, but I’m sure we’d have more structure once I got the books and we worked them.

I’ve been playing non-stop since I got my board a few days ago. I can’t stop! Definitely wayyyyy more my instrument than guitar. That’s just the way it is.

Don’t forget to discuss your goals with your prospective teachers— and you’re right in not hastily making a final evaluation based on the first lesson.

One more caveat: take the playing easily... and stop with any hint of pain.

CajunJ #3002260 07/13/20 05:40 PM
J
Online Embarrased
J
I’ve been playing non-stop since I got my board a few days ago. I can’t stop!

I feel you...I got back to playing about 2 1/2 years ago. At first I would play up to 3 hours at a time, with no breaks. Unfortunately I was not taking lessons yet and did not realize how bad my posture was. I was having a lot of discomfort in my shoulders/back. Make sure you are not pushing through any discomfort, and if you are feeling anything bad, make that discussion a priority with your new teacher.

CajunJ #3002279 07/13/20 06:36 PM
C
CajunJ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
My left hand was getting tight and achy after playing for hours yesterday. Back, shoulders, etc, are good. Sides of my thumbs are tender. Overall, I think it’s just muscles that haven’t been used like this before.

CajunJ #3002573 07/14/20 05:17 PM
C
CajunJ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Had my second test session, and I’ve decided to go with the teacher. I was much more comfortable with her than the first. She also have me a lot more information and things to work in right away. She immediately corrected my technique and explained why the sides of my thumbs were sore. I really like her. She’s more expensive, but I think she’ll be worth it. Thanks for all the insights on this thread! I look forward to my first lessons in 30 years!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission