2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
28 members (ChiaraTor, DYC, dbudde, Fer15, Boboulus, clothearednincompo, DaKillaGuineaPig, BachToTheFuture, 7 invisible), 403 guests, and 468 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Winter NAMM 2021 - Proceed or Cancel?
#3002219 07/13/20 03:55 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Winter NAMM Show 2021 is scheduled to take place January 21-24, 2021.
If Winter NAMM 2021 were to take place right now (given Covid-19) - would you go?
Should Winter NAMM 2021 even happen (given Covid-19)?

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
Re: Winter NAMM 2021 - Proceed or Cancel?
PianoManChuck #3002229 07/13/20 04:25 PM
E
EPW Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
I wouldn't go knowing how severe Covid-19 can be if you're one of the unlucky ones to get more then a mild case of it. Even now they are finding the virus is doing damage to mild cases that the experts thought were not not causing long-term health issues.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
PianoManChuck #3002236 07/13/20 04:46 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Isn't this a silly question? Isn't it akin to "if you had the opportunity to bang your head on the wall ... would you?" Who would say yes?

As for 2021 ... it all depends on whether a vaccine comes along by Q4. Because until there's a vaccine there will be no widespread immunity.

MacMacMac #3002237 07/13/20 04:48 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Isn't this a silly question? Isn't it akin to "if you had the opportunity to bang your head on the wall ... would you?" Who would say yes?
We've seen people say "yes" at recent Trump rallies!

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
PianoManChuck #3002239 07/13/20 04:56 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
😁

And I didn't want to say anything in fear of the discussion turning into politics...

A lot could change in half a year if "test and isolate" works out, but I'm sure there are a lot of problems with that strategy in USA.

And not because of politics, but overall population size, density, ignorance, attitude, economical everyday challenges and whatnot.

Politics can also play a role but enough about that...

I wouldn't be overly optimistic about the winter NAMM.

PianoManChuck #3002253 07/13/20 05:24 PM
E
EPW Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
I just had to fill out a survey from my school district about how to proceed for the fall. My take is at all possible it needs to be online learning for my High School aged kids.

Thank goodness my teenagers know what is at stake and are really good students. I told the district there is no way even with only half enrollment at the high school to social isolate and clean the rooms between classes. I can't even imagine how teachers at the Junior high and lower grade levels would be able to teach and protect the kids and themselves. It is not going to be possible. Schools were set up to be a place to socialize!

Anyway these are really hard times and sad that the outbreak is being used by political parties and fools that openly won't wear a mask to protect themselves and those around them.

PianoManChuck #3002261 07/13/20 05:40 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Even if a vaccine is available by Jan 2021 (IMHO unlikely), the initial available doses will go to health care workers, emergency personnel, teachers, and those with significant co-morbidities, such as immunocompromised patients. I wouldn’t except a roll out to the general population for many months.

No way would I plan on NAMM and I wouldn’t attend even if it is held.

Last edited by dogperson; 07/13/20 05:43 PM.
PianoManChuck #3002267 07/13/20 05:50 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoManChuck
Winter NAMM Show 2021 is scheduled to take place January 21-24, 2021.
If Winter NAMM 2021 were to take place right now (given Covid-19) - would you go?
Should Winter NAMM 2021 even happen (given Covid-19)?

It's on my calendar, at least for the moment.

If it were happening right now, no, I wouldn't go. I have not flown since late January.

Unless things change positively by the end of October, it's going to be tough for NAMM to happen, in person, anyway. Companies have to reserve booth space and make travel plans, ship demo product, and so many people aren't allowed to freely travel into other countries that it will create an insurmountable problem for an in-person show (assuming one felt comfortable enough to attend) that is so dependent on an international presence to be successful.

Am not sure if a "virtual NAMM" model would work, because a lot of the fun of the show is being able to actually try stuff. So much of the nuance of the business meetings would also be lost, but possible on a more rudimentary level, online.

Although I have enjoyed meeting you there, Chuck (I think we've shook hands on at least a couple of occasions), I'm put the odds at maybe 20% for the winter show happening.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
PianoManChuck #3002316 07/13/20 08:36 PM
D
D
Wow, people saying "yes" to NAMM at Trump rallies?
All joking aside, to answer Chuck's original question, no, I wouldn't go anywhere near Orange County right now.
As of this afternoon, all non-essential businesses in CA are to shut down again so I wouldn't be overly optimistic about huge gatherings anytime soon.

PianoManChuck #3002325 07/13/20 09:12 PM
I never go out without a mask. But maskless people are everywhere.
On a evening new show earlier tonight a reporter on the UNC campus read her story ... whilst in the background students were roaming about, and NOT ONE had a mask.
Originally Posted by PianoManChuck
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
We've seen people say "yes" at recent Trump rallies!
Foolishness knows no politics.

PianoManChuck #3002347 07/13/20 11:08 PM
E
EPW Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E

This is so true. I was out and a person had a Mask on with POTUS logo for 2020 on it with the matching MAGA baseball cap. I had to chuckle as you are supporting the man that doesn't believe in wearing a mask. Top of that you are using a Mask as an advertisement for him. The oxymoron of it had me shaking my head. The person I was with saw the humor in it too and said I know not to get you started on that image. He was right. Sorry if that is too political.

Anyway I don't see how NAMM could be a success even in January 2021. You go to feel and play the instruments IMHO. I wouldn't want anyone playing into a wind/brass instrument before me. I don't care how much you cleaned it after each demo!

EPW #3002358 07/14/20 12:41 AM
R
R
Originally Posted by EPW

This is so true. I was out and a person had a Mask on with POTUS logo for 2020 on it with the matching MAGA baseball cap. I had to chuckle as you are supporting the man that doesn't believe in wearing a mask. Top of that you are using a Mask as an advertisement for him. The oxymoron of it had me shaking my head. The person I was with saw the humor in it too and said I know not to get you started on that image. He was right. Sorry if that is too political.

Anyway I don't see how NAMM could be a success even in January 2021. You go to feel and play the instruments IMHO. I wouldn't want anyone playing into a wind/brass instrument before me. I don't care how much you cleaned it after each demo!

"I'm all for masks" and "would have no problem" wearing one in public. "People have seen me wearing one. If I'm in a group of people where we're not, you know, 10 feet away and, but usually I'm not in that position and everyone is tested. Because I'm the president, they get tested before they see me. But if I were in a tight situation with people -- I would absolutely," Trump said in an interview with Fox Business Network.

PianoManChuck #3002363 07/14/20 12:59 AM
K
K
I'm almost certain it will be canceled, but I wouldn't go even if it's not. There's basically no way we'll have things "Good enough" to proceed with such a large scale event with the way things are going now. Furthermore, I doubt vendors from around the world would even WANT to come to the US at that point.

NAMM says "We have retained a medical doctor on our team" to help them. Oddly vague. I know of quite a few places that retained a "medical doctor" for helping with COVID situations only to find out later they were of a field completely unrelated to viruses and such. I don't trust it when they're so vague. But even then, I doubt there will be much "hands-on" stuff, which is an important part of pianos...as this forum loves to mention a lot

PianoManChuck #3002364 07/14/20 01:09 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Here's the actual statement from NAMM at this point. It's understandably lengthy:

https://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2020/articles/looking-forward-2021

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
EPW #3002365 07/14/20 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by EPW
I was out and a person had a Mask on with POTUS logo for 2020 on it with the matching MAGA baseball cap.

Perhaps this person was practicing "social distancing" following using Larry David's technique?
(Google "curb your enthusiasm maga" if you're curious, but be prepared for strong language)

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
PianoManChuck #3002663 07/14/20 09:11 PM
M
M
Pianoman Chuck, Sir.

Aiyah. Oofah. Think thousands of people, impossible social distancing. Keys touched by hundreds of hands. Virus lasting days on surfaces. Multiple surfaces at odd angles with crevices impossible to clean (immerse new keyboard in alcohol between playings?). Masks worn poorly (under the nose, removed for eating). ?alcohol. No herd immunity. Vaccine not ready, incompletely deployed, antivaxxers. Question of airborne spread. Huge epidemic in California, lotsa free spirited young people. Also a certain Pianoman with a few gray hairs.

Think I'd pass...

VPC-1. Komplete Kontrol 61 1st gen. Pianoteq, Ravenscroft, etc. Two kids on Alfred.
Melving #3002679 07/14/20 10:37 PM
P
OP Offline
P
We're all passing on 2021 NAMM.... that is except for NAMM administration who still plans on proceeding with the show. I think the Orange County Mayor may step in and stop it from happening, otherwise the California Governor. A day at a NAMM show doesn't end at 6pm, it continues with parties, dinners, get-togethers, and at the end of the day - a hotel room with elevators and buttons, doors with handles, steps with rails, etc, etc, etc. Robert Redfield, Director of CDC said to prepare for the worst in the Fall of 2020 and Winter of 2021.
My annual NAMM membership dues were due this month, and I considered not paying this year for renewal... but NAMM does a lot of good with it, so I fully support them -- except for their current plan of still proceeding with the 2021 show (which I'm 99.9% certain will NOT happen).

www.PianoManChuck.com
PianoManChuck on Youtube

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice for small handed player(9th interval max)
by dcbluepiano - 08/14/20 11:43 PM
Roland FP-30 WAV volume vs keyboard volume
by Richard Bruer - 08/14/20 10:57 PM
Yamaha Sound Decay
by Lonnie Bear - 08/14/20 07:44 PM
Experiences with Roland RD-88 (or Yamaha CP88)?
by Karnevil - 08/14/20 07:35 PM
Lord Vinheterio?
by JeanieA - 08/14/20 07:11 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,932
Posts2,991,969
Members98,150
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission