2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 12 invisible), 1,963 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Last Thursday, I purchased Mr Russsell Kassman's, Steingraeber 130. As many know, & for those who don't, Mr Kassman is the former founder & owner of R. KASSMAN Piano, in San Francisco. He's recently retired & an active member on PW, under the username 'master88er'

Mr Kassman originally handpicked this piano in 2017 for His store, from the Steingraeber factory in Bayreuth Germany. Shorty after, He decided to retire, and chose to take it with Him, as His personal piano. Below is an explanation by Russell, from another thread, "When I sold the shop, I also decided to move back to Chicago to be closer to family (health reasons). I decided to custom order a Steingraeber B-192 made to my personal specs (cabinetry) which I knew would take about a year. SO, I had to pick something to have during the first Chicago winter in a condo..... and although all the uprights in my shop have wonderful qualities, the Steingraeber uprights just simply surpass everything else. At the time (last August) we had two 130's in stock and only one 138. So, I chose a 130 because I wanted to be sure Ric (the new owner) had a 138 in stock because they take a long time to replace."

So, although it's a used piano, it's a very recent production year. And from what I've read, finding used Steingraeber uprights, particularly recently new, is very rare. As well, Udo Steingraeber has agreed to issue Me a new piano warranty, with the piano. Also, knowing the previous owner is Mr Kassman, I feel extremely confident the piano is an excellent instrument which has been meticulously maintained & cared for. Finally, it's a specific piano some of You may have seen in person or on YouTube. It's such an exceptional example, Mr Kassman promised to let Udo Steingraeber use this 130, at the 2020 NAMM show, to represent the Steingraeber Uprights.

Below's a YouTube video of this piano at the NAMM 2020

Steingraeber 130 at NAMM 2020

It's kind of difficult to see the piano well in the video. To quote Mr. Kassman "This piano is a polished ebony Steingraeber 130, with full Sostenuto, Laranim keytops, genuine ebony sharps, and specially designed tone panels on top and bottom. About three years ago, Steingraeber came out with this cabinet design, which gives the 130, and those who play it, an extraordinary amount of sound, tone and resonance."

The piano is equipped the with Classic Action, not the SFM Action. I asked Mr. Kassman about the different actions, & In His opinion, He felt the SFM Action was better on the 138,... & the Classic Action was better on the 130. He went into some detail with Me as to why, but I'm going to pass on trying to relay those details, as I won't do His reasoning justice.

Below are some pictures, taken by Mr Kassman, of the Piano:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mr Kassman is helping Me setup the shipping from Chicago to Seattle. He's recommended using Walter Piano Transport, & I'm hoping We'll have an idea this week, as to when it will arrive.

With all the above in mind - I felt confident in purchasing this used piano, even without playing it. I understand why that's typically not advisable, but given this piano's provenance & history, the Covid crisis & My strong desire not to travel - I'm okay making this exception.

I'd like to thank Mr Kassman for being wonderful to work with, as well as Ric Overton, who's the current owner of R. Kassman Pianos, in San Francisco. Ric has located a highly respected & qualified Technician, in My area, that can service the piano as needed. Ric will also handle any potential warranty issues, should the need arise. Finally, Thanks to all the wonderful members here, who provide such Great content. I spent a lot of time searching & reading old threads about the Steingraber uprights, the 130 specifically, as well as the many threads that have covered the topic of Tier 1 Uprights. PW has been an phenomenal resource, particularly during the Covid crisis.

When the piano arrive - I'll post pics of It,... in It's new Home!

~Lucubrate

Last edited by Lucubrate; 07/12/20 04:07 PM.

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
Excellent!, a hearty congratulations. I'd love to see photos in its new home.

I have a soft spot for the large German uprights and this isn't helping - LOL.

Last edited by blueviewlaguna.; 07/12/20 04:20 PM.

2021 August Förster 215

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Congratulations! And thanks for sharing the story! Russell is definitely an industry stalwart; it's no wonder he can arrange special considerations with the factory! His retirement is significant, but I'm reluctant to call it the end of an era. Perhaps more like a new chapter, because I have a feeling he'll remain active in the piano community (health permitting, of course--and I certainly wish him well).

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

W
W
Lucubrate, congratulations on your new purchase. Steingraebers are certainly one of the finest one can buy in my opinion. I must say, even just from the video (which doesn't do it justice), I can't believe that it's an upright...! The quality of tone sounds like that of a grand. Very impressive indeed.

Current: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X
Previous: Venables & Son Academy-168, Kawai K-15 E and Yamaha Clavinova CVP-208

"Insurance broker by day, classically trained pianist by... well, when I'm not working!"
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Wait a minute. Didn't you just get a decent piano? ?!?

L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by blueviewlaguna.
Excellent!, a hearty congratulations. I'd love to see photos in its new home.

I have a soft spot for the large German uprights and this isn't helping - LOL.

Thanks blueview!

Me either - I've been thinking about & reading up on, the large German uprights, prior to,... during,... & after the purchase of My Grand - I couldn't shake it!

But I feel better now!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Congratulations! And thanks for sharing the story! Russell is definitely an industry stalwart; it's no wonder he can arrange special considerations with the factory! His retirement is significant, but I'm reluctant to call it the end of an era. Perhaps more like a new chapter, because I have a feeling he'll remain active in the piano community (health permitting, of course--and I certainly wish him well).

Thanks Retsacnal!!

Let's hope so!! Russell's be wonderful to work with,... & I would not have purchased a used piano, like i did, if it didn't have the same backstory as this one. The fact that Russell handpicked it out,... chose it as His personal piano (if only while His Grand was being built)... & knowing it's been in His care - made All the difference

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie

Hey Lennie!

Yep,... & the It's not going anywhere!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by williambonard
Lucubrate, congratulations on your new purchase. Steingraebers are certainly one of the finest one can buy in my opinion. I must say, even just from the video (which doesn't do it justice), I can't believe that it's an upright...! The quality of tone sounds like that of a grand. Very impressive indeed.

Thanks William!

Aside from what Russell conveyed to Me - Hearing it in the video, as well as the comments by James about the piano, made the purchase decision easier

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

F
F
What a beauty, congrats Lucubrate - looking forward to a video of it ...

L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Thanks Farfisakid!!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Lucubrate

Hey Lennie!

Yep,... & the It's not going anywhere!

~Lucubrate

Damn! Living the life.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Farfisakid
What a beauty, congrats Lucubrate - looking forward to a video of it ...
Sounds like it was featured on that YouTube series. Not that a different snapshot wouldn't also be impressive. Very fine piano.

L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Damn! Living the life.

Nah

If I had the playing Talent, to do the Instruments justice, then maybe... a little bit

I did enjoy Your thread on German Uprights, as well as other comments You’ve made on the subject - Thanks!

German Uprights

~Lucubrate

Last edited by Lucubrate; 07/12/20 09:51 PM.

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

K
K
Very nice piano, congratulations.

Please note: you bought a piano from a small manufacturer where the people working are super friendly. I think I've never felt more welcome in any shop (they sell at their factory).

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Congratulations! Nice piano!

H
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
H
Congratulations on your Steingraeber 130!

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your Steingraeber 130! Yes I remember you just bought another piano recently. Why not mention which pianos you have in your profile and or signature.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Happy piano, Lucubrate!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Thanks Everyone for the goodwill & well-wishes!

I’ll post pics after the piano arrives

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission