2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
When my video teacher talks about theory, I am glued to the screen and absorb every little thing she tells. When I open a music theory book, I die, die! of boredom. I understand why. The book is just words.
So now I am looking for a music theory book that I need to take to my piano, with play-and-listen examples of everything. For instance, the difference between what a subdominant triad does to the music and what a dominant triad does. Then there should be a couple of notes that I should play so I can hear this difference. It doesn't need to be a book for piano players, for instance it is fine with notes on just one staff only.

Does a book like this exist or do I have to write it myself? laugh

Animisha

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
There is a few good videos on youtube about piano theory.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S
Most of theory up to grade 5 is essentially about notation and a few basic notions on chords. Like a subdominant chord is just a triad built on the 4th degree. How to use it is more complex. Most theory books would have examples to illustrate concepts but it is not possible to explain all the possible cases and usage in one book. But if you want to really understand harmonic theory, at some point you'll have to deal with the conceptual side of it.

Blüthner model 6
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Music Matters here and Music Theory Guy here are the best sites I have found, but are not what I think you have in mind. Recently I was searching for Part Writing information that would supplement my dry text books and I ran up against the same problem. Good tuition on theory is hard to come by and the best I could find was a Udemy course by Dr. Spondike (Music Theory Made Easy), which again I don't think this is what you are after either but as I said it was the best I could find.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
So now I am looking for a music theory book that I need to take to my piano, with play-and-listen examples of everything. For instance, the difference between what a subdominant triad does to the music and what a dominant triad does. Then there should be a couple of notes that I should play so I can hear this difference.

How comfortable do you feel sitting at the piano with a theory book and making up your own exercises? Take anything you want to learn and play it as an exercise round the circle of 5ths or chromatically. I usually figure out a musical pattern and then add a backing track to give the exercise a good groove.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S
In general, i think the issue you will run into is as follows: music is not like physics, there are no absolute rules as to how to compose a piece of music, there are practical guidelines. So what most theory books and sites will teach you is the most basic and common set of rules, which will already take you up to grade 10 or so (the harmonic tonality taught is that of the 19th century).

But as soon as you get into real pieces, you will have to deal with the specifics of each period. The way Bach is using a subdominant (and a dominant) is different from Mozart which is different from Chopin. Music theory has been evolving greatly and the practical guidelines to write music are dated. I guess for simplicity reasons most if not all theory books and sites ignore that fact. Often i see analysis of Bach music using 19th century concepts which obviously Bach could not be aware of, which sometimes leads to misinterpretation. Also there are many parts of Bach, Mozart or Beethoven which can not be understood only by applying the common harmonic theory.

I dont say that to make it overly complex but just to put in perspective the fact you obviously need to start somewhere and learn first the basic theory, but be aware that it will help you to understand simple piece or some parts of music but that is only a starting point.

Blüthner model 6
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sidokar
In general, i think the issue you will run into is as follows: music is not like physics, there are no absolute rules as to how to compose a piece of music,
Sidokar, this is exactly why I want to "play and listen"! For instance, the effect of a subdominant triad vs a dominant triad. I want to play and listen and get a feeling for it.

Originally Posted by Sidokar
learn first the basic theory, but be aware that it will help you to understand simple piece or some parts of music but that is only a starting point.
In the book that I dream about, they give the score of a simple piece, let me play it and make me understand it.

Originally Posted by Groove On
How comfortable do you feel sitting at the piano with a theory book and making up your own exercises?
Does a book like this exist or do I have to write it myself? laugh

I guess this book doesn't exist and I will need to write it, but it is hard, because I also need to learn it first!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Earlofmar: Thank you a lot for your suggestions! As you say, it is not really what I am looking for, but it can help me on my way.

M
M
Interesting that, as I mentioned in the sticky, I got a keyboard and started learning piano exactly to learn theory (jazz etc). The idea being to play, see & hear various ideas.... All I know is, it's a long road!

J
J
Have you ever looked at the Keith Snell 'Fundamentals of Piano Theory' series? I'm working through that...almost done with the last one (#10).

It's a workbook. There are lots of 'playable' examples. Snippets from pieces, or simple chord progressions written out in multiple keys. I've learned a lot. Prices are reasonable at sheetmusicplus.com and there are often sales, although you'll probably want to buy the answer keys as well, so that does all add up. I really wish there was a more advanced version of this to move on to...the workbook style really works for me.

You would not need to start at book 1, which is absolute beginner. I started with book 5, since I already had some basic theory knowledge (plus 30+ years experience on other instruments).

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
For instance, the difference between what a subdominant triad does to the music and what a dominant triad does. Then there should be a couple of notes that I should play so I can hear this difference.
You can start by doing lots of the right kind of listening from simple hymns that use just three chords (I, IV, V/V7), like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prthhmly0Gg

This is how it's harmonized, and listen carefully when the harmony changes (I-IV especially, then I-V and V-I):

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/82331499417647644/

Play it on the piano, and hear the effect of the chord changes.

In the end, harmony is all about hearing. Learning harmony without understanding - and hearing - how it sounds in context is like learning string theory for all its relevance to everyday life. With intent listening, you will be able to 'hear' the harmonies used in a song in your head just from the first hearing, and 'harmonize' straightforward melodies just from listening to the melody. (This is also what you have to do in the higher grades in theory exams).

Add on vi, then ii, and you have within your grasp all the basic harmonies that are to be found in the vast majority of hymns, pop and folk songs, and the simpler classical pieces.

For instance, songs like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vrEljMfXYo

I think the mistake most adult students make is to try to learn/understand/apply everything all at once, like all those 'added-note chords' used in jazz. Start simple and develop gradually from there. If you can't 'hear' the harmony used when you listen to something simple & straightforward (like many hymns), you're not going to be able to apply their use to anything else. Similarly, if you can't "hear" the underlying harmony in a simple unharmonized tune like Happy Birthday or Silent Night, you're not going to be able to understand how harmony is used.

In music, as in everything else, start with really really simple stuff. Nothing is too simple when you're trying to develop your ear.

KISS!

If music be the food of love, play on!
I think you will be interested in "The fifth factor" by Robijn Tilanus.
https://robijntilanus.nl/en/product/book-on-harmony-the-fifth-factor/
I really liked it. It's exactly how you describe: explaining harmony using examples to play and prompts to improvise. There's also a cd with recordings of all the examples, to use if you are not able to sightread all the examples yet.

Kawai K3 upright - Roland FP30 digital piano
Started from scratch august 2014
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thank you JB_PW and Bennevis, and thank you especially Muove, because the book you mention seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Muove
I think you will be interested in "The fifth factor" by Robijn Tilanus.
https://robijntilanus.nl/en/product/book-on-harmony-the-fifth-factor/
I really liked it. It's exactly how you describe: explaining harmony using examples to play and prompts to improvise. There's also a cd with recordings of all the examples, to use if you are not able to sightread all the examples yet.

Wow! That's a gem! Thanks Muove!
And thanks Animisha for asking the question!

Learner
P
P
Does anyone know where to get this book? On the robijntilanus.nl website you can only pay by direct Netherlands banking payment. Amazon.uk has it for for £20.42 + £29.32 shipping ($62.76), which is exorbitant. I did eventually find the ISBN's (ISBN-10: 9082717484 and ISBN-13: 978-9082717488) but nowhere in the US to purchase the book.

Last edited by Pianosearcher; 07/13/20 11:22 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

This books sounds so interesting and so practical that I have just ordered a copy for myself.

Thanks, Animisha, for starting this query.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
P

Thanks. I found it there too, and ordered a copy. $40.10 including air shipment (although they are quoting 6-8 weeks delivery nonetheless). I hope it includes the companion CD, because the free download from robijntilanus website appears to be broken. Even so, the sample pages on her website looked really well done so perhaps the CD isn't essential.

Last edited by Pianosearcher; 07/13/20 04:59 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pianosearcher
I hope it includes the companion CD, because the free download from robijntilanus website appears to be broken.
Pianosearcher, the page looks horrific, but when I clicked on the black download button, I was asked to give my name and email adress, and then I got 192 mp3 files in a zip folder. smile

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission