2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
42 members (Colette2, butchkoch, eamon, Craig Hair, David Boyce, aphexdisklavier, 8 invisible), 410 guests, and 425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rintincop's Hidden Rhodes Patch Edit - Any audio/videos?
#3001634 07/11/20 08:56 PM
M
Mark122 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hey guys

I've been lurking for a while on information about the ES110. I was wondering if anyone has a demo playing video or audio could upload here or pm's on the "Hidden Rhodes Patch".

I'm really interesting in hearing what the ES110 has to offer, and how this patch edit can make it better!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Consisted of the following:

Rhodes Touch set to Heavy with no heavy Tremolo Chorus Effects on except for a little Reverb

Originally Posted by rintincop
To unlock the hidden clean tone vintage Fender Rhodes suitcase patch in the Kawai ES110:

Press the E.Piano/Organ button to select E.Piano 1
Press and hold the E.Piano/Organ button and then press the A#4 key
Press and hold the E.Piano/Organ button and then press the G#6 key

You know have a well behaved clean tone Fender Rhodes, no more wild jumpiness or spaced out effects.

Originally Posted by rintincop
On the ES110 there is an easy upgrade to turn the jumpy Rhodes into a superb well-behaving clean tone Rhodes. Simply set the Touch Setting to Heavy and then it won't be jumpy.

Also, turn off the spacy Vibrato Chorus Effect on the Rhodes. Then save it as a Registration. It's amazing to me that they could be so stupid in how they set the Rhodes in factory default.

Thanks in advance!

Yamaha Montage, Yamaha Motif ES8, Kontakt and a ton of VSTs
Re: Rintincop's Hidden Rhodes Patch Edit - Any audio/videos?
Mark122 #3002082 07/13/20 08:11 AM
M
Mark122 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
bump

Yamaha Montage, Yamaha Motif ES8, Kontakt and a ton of VSTs
Mark122 #3002106 07/13/20 10:05 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
As he described in the second quote you posted, the adjustments in his first quote do two things:

(1) changes Touch to Heavy. This means you don't trigger the high velocity samples as easily (avoiding what he finds to be a "jumpy" transition to those samples, by essentially by making them harder to get to). Whether it works the same way for you will depend on (a) whether you share his goal of playing the lower velocity samples for most of your playing, and (b) whether your touch is heavier, lighter, or about the same as rintincop's. Pretty much all boards have this light/normal/heavy adjustment so the velocity response can be somewhat tailored to your playing.

The stock Rhodes is at 2:48 at

Notice the player in the video has decided to play gently for much of the "accompaniment" and often use higher velocity to bring out the "melody" with more of the barkish and less of the bell-like tone. If you hear that and wish it would stay more with the bell-like tones and not so much of the barkier tone, changing the touch to Heavy makes it easier to do that. The actual tone of the instrument does not change, what's changing with this setting is how hard you have to hit to generate its different velocity tones. So in a sense, to "hear" what rintincop's suggestion of setting touch to Heavy does, just imagine more of the barkish notes of that video instead being played with the more bell-like tones. A video of this adjustment would consist of more of the board's quietly-played sound and less (or none) of it's loudly played sound.

(2) turns off the default effect, autopan (which was the only effect ever actually built into some Rhodes). You can hear what this adjustment does by listening to that same video in mono, if you have a setting for that. On the Mac, you can go to System Preferences-->Accessibility-->Audio, and check "Play stereo audio as mono." When you listen to a stereo pan effect in mono, it disappears, so on this same video, this also demonstrates what rintincop's other setting change does. (Note that to hear what this video sounds like in mono to defeat the panning effect, you do need to listen to the stereo track in mono, not just listen to one side of the stereo track!)

Mark122 #3002134 07/13/20 11:40 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I like the Rhodes patch on the ES110 but I can easily wear out my hands when I playing with bass and drums. I attribute this to desire to bring out higher velocity sample that the infamous "Hidden Rhodes Patch..." tries to make harder to access.

I'm fine with Kawai not giving away the store on ES110 as to a better Rhodes patch like on their higher end models, but I do wish they gave us a better stereo vibrato option. The preset is lame and sometimes I shut off but sometimes keep it on.

IMO, all this Hidden Rhodes Patch talk does is cause me to facepalm myself every time I read about it. wink

AG N2 | ES 110 | REFACE CP | GK MK & MP amps
36251 #3003284 07/16/20 09:43 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by 36251
I like the Rhodes patch on the ES110 but I can easily wear out my hands when I playing with bass and drums. I attribute this to desire to bring out higher velocity sample that the infamous "Hidden Rhodes Patch..." tries to make harder to access.
I'm another player who tends to prefer bringing out the higher velocity sounds a lot when I play Rhodes stuff. What I think is ironic, in this case, is that the high velocity sound actually seems to be where the ES110 is most faithful! Based on that video, at least, the lower velocity really don't sound like a Rhodes to me... e.g. the notes have a little click at the beginning of them, which is arguably a pleasing sound, but not something I associate with a real Rhodes. Actually, to me, that sound is halfway between a Rhodes and a DX7. It's when he lays into it that I think it actually sounds more like a real Rhodes, that's where I think it is more authentic.

Originally Posted by 36251
IMO, all this Hidden Rhodes Patch talk does is cause me to facepalm myself every time I read about it. wink
I know what you mean, it's not a "hidden" sound, it's really just takling advantage of the provided settings that let you adjust things to your taste.

Mark122 #3003297 07/16/20 10:34 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
LOL, I always thought this key combinations were selecting some underlying General MIDI voices or stuff like that. But it's just tweaking the velocity curve and disabling the effect laugh

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
CyberGene #3003315 07/16/20 11:41 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
LOL, I always thought this key combinations were selecting some underlying General MIDI voices or stuff like that. But it's just tweaking the velocity curve and disabling the effect laugh

I was thinking about copyrighting the name "Hidden Rhodes Patch."

AG N2 | ES 110 | REFACE CP | GK MK & MP amps

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jack(?) clicking
by Keybender - 08/14/20 06:29 AM
Uncomfortable fingering in a book
by Tom97 - 08/14/20 05:16 AM
Beta testers wanted to test new music practice app!
by musicpracticeapp - 08/14/20 02:51 AM
Why are piano sheets for the same song wildly different?
by onaiplatigid - 08/14/20 12:52 AM
Pianodisc help? Repair? Advice?
by Spuds - 08/13/20 11:43 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,911
Posts2,991,624
Members98,139
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission