2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
42 members (Colette2, butchkoch, eamon, Craig Hair, David Boyce, aphexdisklavier, 7 invisible), 407 guests, and 427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Looking for some interesing chord voicings?
#3001556 07/11/20 03:56 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I have to start off by saying that after lurking for a long time perusing historical posts, this is a wonderful forum. So, I thought I’d make a contribution for those looking for alternative chord voicings that can add lushness and variety to your explorations of lead sheets and noodling around, or just to improve on the basic arrangements found in a lot of published pop and old standards. In my years of off and on poking around I’ve run across some fabulous (to me) chord voicings, so I thought I’d share them. Most of them will produce that lush cocktail piano or smooth jazz sound.

Here’s a great voicing for endings, intros, fillers and turn-arounds, nice bass richness
It’s a 1,5 3,6,9 voicing. 1 and 5 of the chord in the bass octave 2 or last couple of notes in Octave 1; right hand, 3, 6 and 9 in octave 3 or into octave 4, depending on the chord chosen.

For example, a “C” voicing would be C2 and G2 bass, treble- E3, A3 and D4. It’s great also as a cadence of 3 or so chords played chromatically. For example, a good ending or filler to a piece in C major is a Bb, B to C cadence. BTW this voicing produces the best sounding C chord ever IMO.

For clarification, I’m using the notation here of the chord using the 1 octave numbering scheme, eg; 1 thru 9 (well, I'm stretching the definition of 1 octave a bit), includiing the right hand extensions, because that’s the way I think of them on the fly, rather than using 10 .11, 12, etc. Occasionally I use 10, because that’s simple to my brain, just a 3 in the next octave.

Another mellow voicing is good any where you can fit it in as a substitute for a basic triad or 7th chord. It’s a 1,5 in the bass or just a 1, then treble is maj7,9,3,5. This voicing is good when the left and right hand notes are in adjacent octaves, but 1 octave lower for the left is also fine. Example “C” voicing:

C3, G3 left hand; B3, D4, E4, G4 right hand.
This chord voicing is a twofer, BTW. Any chord voiced this way as a 7,9,3,5 is also the 3,5,6,1 (8) of the 5th degree of the chord—the 7,9,3,5 of “C” is also the 3,5,6,1 of “G”

Here’s a George Shearing really close voicing that makes a lush fill calling for maj 7th chords—
Play a 4 note maj7th in the right hand and duplicate the maj7th right next to the root with the thumb of the left hand.

You can make a nice easy end passage with this one by first playing this voice, then move the left thumb and right pinky to the flat 6, then the 6. Or, just walk from the flat 6 right back to the maj 7 chromatically. Going down with the thumb and pinky from the original maj 7th chromatically to the flat 6 or the 5 is also useful.

Here’s a couple of open voicings that sound very bright but mellow— best played around the middle of the piano
1, 5 left hand, 1,3, maj7 right hand. This also makes for a good and simple 3-step chromatic cadence chord set.
A nice minor but bright-ish voicing—
Left hand 1 and 7, right hand; m3, 5, 9.

Have fun, hope you find them useful.

Don't shoot the piano player -- he's doing the best he can...
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Looking for some interesing chord voicings?
Slowroll #3001569 07/11/20 04:43 PM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Slowroll, hi! It would be nice if you also showed interesting chord voicings connections , for example:

G
E
D
B TO
/
G
C

C
Ab
Eb
Bb TO
/
Db
Gb

D
G
B
/
A
C
F

Slowroll #3001572 07/11/20 04:56 PM
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Can you record a video ? That’ll be great.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

Nahum #3001658 07/12/20 12:10 AM
S
OP Offline
S
NAHUM- - do you mean what would be the individual notes for voicing each chord of your stacked list, or do you mean what could be a pleasant chord progression series as per something similar to your lost?

Slowroll #3001682 07/12/20 02:38 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Slowroll
NAHUM- - do you mean what would be the individual notes for voicing each chord of your stacked list, or do you mean what could be a pleasant chord progression series as per something similar to your lost?
I remember the period of the secondary music school, when during the breaks we gathered near the piano, and everyone proudly showed a “new” jazz chord. For years, it was a pirate substitute for systematic jazz self-education - for the lack of an official one. But since then a lot of water has already flowed, and the look at the “beautiful” chords has changed: each voicing takes an honorable place in the harmonic pattern . Not an isolated single chord , but a harmonic progression!
Your C voicing is default part of pattern 2-5-1. But here is a completely different context and a different sound of the same voicing:

[Linked Image]

Nahum #3001828 07/12/20 12:01 PM
S
OP Offline
S
NAHUM, sure these voicings can be plugged into any progressions. I'm not sure that the 7,9,3,5 is default choice however. I haven't seen it very often, but I may be underinformed

Last edited by Slowroll; 07/12/20 12:02 PM.

Slowroll #3002047 07/13/20 04:43 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
NAHUM, sure these voicings can be plugged into any progressions. I'm not sure that the 7,9,3,5 is default choice however. I haven't seen it very often, but I may be underinformed
The default selection refers to pattern 2-5-1, where voicing 7935 is the first step. BTW, this form is called position “B” when position “A” is 3579.

Nahum #3002083 07/13/20 08:12 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Interesting Nahum. I have not encountered any theory books that systematizes these voicings. I must be underinformed. 🤔

Slowroll #3002136 07/13/20 11:43 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Interesting Nahum. I have not encountered any theory books that systematizes these voicings. I must be underinformed. 🤔
My first source in 1969 was John Mehegan's Jazz Improvisation, on which Mark Levine's book is based.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jack(?) clicking
by Keybender - 08/14/20 06:29 AM
Uncomfortable fingering in a book
by Tom97 - 08/14/20 05:16 AM
Beta testers wanted to test new music practice app!
by musicpracticeapp - 08/14/20 02:51 AM
Why are piano sheets for the same song wildly different?
by onaiplatigid - 08/14/20 12:52 AM
Pianodisc help? Repair? Advice?
by Spuds - 08/13/20 11:43 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,911
Posts2,991,624
Members98,139
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission