2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
55 members (achoo42, Almaviva, Blague, 16 invisible), 477 guests, and 442 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Looking for a professional pianist around Hamburg
#3001541 07/11/20 03:08 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hi,
I'm looking for a professional pianist around Hamburg, to help me pick a Steinway Model B from the Steinway factory.
If you are one or know one, I will appreciate if you can send me a private message.
Thanks so much!

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: Looking for a professional pianist around Hamburg
Light124 #3001596 07/11/20 06:11 PM
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Juan Maria Solare is a professor at Hochschule für Künste Bremen, which is not far from Hamburg. There may be serious students that could be recommended to make the trip as well.

I cannot recommend anyone closer. I hope that helps.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, King of Prussia, and Cherry Hill, NJ
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
Light124 #3001618 07/11/20 08:06 PM
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Light,

If you don't get an individual response, you might consider directly contacting the Hochschule für Musik und Theater Hamburg. I understand that all of the music schools in Germany are living under coronavirus conditions right now, but a nicely-worded email to the school might get somebody's attention and a lead on a piano student who would love to go with you to the factory and try out pianos. Only 15 minutes away (!) und viele Studenten sprechen Englisch if that's an issue. Heck, the factory could probably have somebody there.

I could give you several names in Cologne, but Hamburg's a pretty long drive to try out pianos.

Larry.

Light124 #3001667 07/12/20 01:30 AM
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
I also know a wonderful musician who knows the people there. Ratko Delorko teaches at two universities. I wanted to see if he would even consider this before mentioning him. He said he considers this fun. His email is delorko@gmx.de.

Here is more information on Ratko. I hope you can work something out with him.

Good luck,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
Light124 #3001786 07/12/20 10:20 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OP - I've put the word out to my German colleagues in a private WhatsApp group. If interested, they might respond to you here on PW, or, if they don't want to join PW, they would respond to me, and I will forward the information.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Light124 #3001950 07/12/20 07:23 PM
O
O
In my experience, very few pianists can make informed piano buying decisions. They hear what they play, they tell you what it feels like and whether they like it or not and what kind of repertoire they think a particular piano is suitable for.

When it comes to understanding the long term potential of a grand, the ways it can be modified in terms of regulation, voicing, tuning, room adaptation and influence of settling a new piano into a new environment and having it tuned by a real concert technician, they are - with very few exceptions - laymen. Which is OK, because it's not part of their curriculum during their studies and very few afford themselves the luxury of an intimate relationship with an experienced technician to understand what the real criteria for choosing a personal piano are.

Unless one has really comprehensive experience in dealing with all aspects of what a 'good' makes it good, I'd always take along an experienced concert technician to evaluate a specific piano for my specific purpose. He is the only one to find the ugly duckling that in turn will magically transform into the piano of one's dreams - but also weed out those ones that have been prepared to only sound and play well for the specific showroom.

Light124 #3002113 07/13/20 10:25 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Thank you everyone so much!

OE1FEU #3002114 07/13/20 10:28 AM
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by OE1FEU
In my experience, very few pianists can make informed piano buying decisions. They hear what they play, they tell you what it feels like and whether they like it or not and what kind of repertoire they think a particular piano is suitable for.

When it comes to understanding the long term potential of a grand, the ways it can be modified in terms of regulation, voicing, tuning, room adaptation and influence of settling a new piano into a new environment and having it tuned by a real concert technician, they are - with very few exceptions - laymen. Which is OK, because it's not part of their curriculum during their studies and very few afford themselves the luxury of an intimate relationship with an experienced technician to understand what the real criteria for choosing a personal piano are.

Unless one has really comprehensive experience in dealing with all aspects of what a 'good' makes it good, I'd always take along an experienced concert technician to evaluate a specific piano for my specific purpose. He is the only one to find the ugly duckling that in turn will magically transform into the piano of one's dreams - but also weed out those ones that have been prepared to only sound and play well for the specific showroom.

OE1FEU makes good points. One of the reasons I thought of Ratko Delorko is because he is an exception to what is referred to in the post above. He has worked with and for manufacturers and has involvement in the technical aspects of modern and pre modern pianos alike.

Good luck with your choice!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
Light124 #3002138 07/13/20 11:47 AM
M
M
Of course, the gold-plated version would be to have a techie come to hear what a good pianist can do with the instrument.

Light124 #3002242 07/13/20 05:01 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm in Hamburg Tennessee, does that count?
-chris

Chernobieff Piano Restorations
"Where Tone is Key"
Lenoir City, Tennessee U.S.A
www.chernobieffpiano.com
grandpianoman@protonmail.com
Light124 #3002283 07/13/20 06:43 PM
M
M
Disqualified if you serve Frankfurters.

Chernobieff Piano #3002295 07/13/20 07:11 PM
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
I'm in Hamburg Tennessee, does that count?
-chris

...and I am near Berlin, NJ. We should meet in Braunschweig for coffee... and we can tour some piano factories while we are at it.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
Light124 #3002387 07/14/20 04:04 AM
O
O
Alternatively, you could meet in Vienna, VA, and maybe have a decent cup of coffee there :-)

OE1FEU #3002399 07/14/20 05:56 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by OE1FEU

+2
I would prefer a technician as well. It might occur that a concert pianist opts for an instrument that suits him/her but not you. I suggest that you try the instruments and the technician may help from his point of view. Besides, I am living in Hamburg/Germany. Maybe Joachim Roemer might be worth contacting

http://www.klavierwerkstatt-roemer.de/ueberuns.php

Light124 #3002582 07/14/20 05:43 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Totally OT: So I clicked on the link to the German technician's website. It's amusing that Google auto-translate occasionally has difficulty with context, translating "Stimmung" as "mood" (instead of "tuning") and "Flugel" as "wing" (instead of "grand piano.") I guess my "wing" needs a "mood." smile

August Förster 215
Light124 #3002637 07/14/20 07:42 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
When you are in Hamburg (Germany!) anyway, and if you want to see Steinways realizing their full potential, you should not miss the opportunity to talk to these people. As I understand it, several top Steinway technicians set up their own shop to bring Steinways to an even higher level:
https://www.klangmanufaktur.de/en/home/

JG
Supply #3002817 07/15/20 06:53 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Supply
When you are in Hamburg (Germany!) anyway, and if you want to see Steinways realizing their full potential, you should not miss the opportunity to talk to these people. As I understand it, several top Steinway technicians set up their own shop to bring Steinways to an even higher level:
I am sorry to disagree, please do not take it personally. I went there and was deeply disappointed. The Klangmanufaktur is purchasing old and damaged historic Steinways at auctions in the UK in order to rebuild and sell them at excessive prices. When I was there they only had one instrument from 1908 for sale, the action of which was imperfectly regulated, and they wanted 65.000 €. One of their historic and rebuilt Steinways was donated to the conservatory in Hamburg-Blankenese but the students there said they do not like it because action and sound are quite inferior to a new Steinway.

Light124 #3002956 07/15/20 11:59 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Interesting, thank you. I have not been there but had heard some very good reviews.

JG
Pianist685 #3003053 07/15/20 04:07 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Pianist685
Originally Posted by Supply
I am sorry to disagree, please do not take it personally. I went there and was deeply disappointed. The Klangmanufaktur is purchasing old and damaged historic Steinways at auctions in the UK in order to rebuild and sell them at excessive prices. When I was there they only had one instrument from 1908 for sale, the action of which was imperfectly regulated, and they wanted 65.000 €. One of their historic and rebuilt Steinways was donated to the conservatory in Hamburg-Blankenese but the students there said they do not like it because action and sound are quite inferior to a new Steinway.

Looking at the Klangmanufactur website, it's interesting to note that they have Steinway pianos
- for sale
- for rent and
- for investment

For investment? The myth continues?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Light124 #3003088 07/15/20 05:19 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
There are ways to invest in pianos, such as offering them for rent. One must be knowledgeable, however.

Semipro Tech
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
W. Hoffmann (Langlau)
by Lijpe_Tjap - 08/07/20 02:30 PM
rhythm vs beautiful sound/overall effect.
by daoc2009 - 08/07/20 01:08 PM
Sforzandi in Beethoven
by samwitdangol - 08/07/20 11:27 AM
Production Voices - sfz libs are on sale
by VladK - 08/07/20 10:14 AM
Top end digital pianos??
by Chrisgilx - 08/07/20 10:00 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,779
Posts2,989,143
Members98,052
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission