2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
58 members (DaKillaGuineaPig, Almaviva, CyberGene, Blague, anotherscott, achoo42, Bobby Badd, Animisha, 13 invisible), 461 guests, and 473 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A Scary Gig
#3001536 07/11/20 02:41 PM
Simon_b Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi

Since I started gigging in the late 80s I've done, probably 150 gigs. Not that many really. I peaked in the mid 2000s when I was playing in variously a Jazz trio/quartet and quintet (depending on people's availability) and a rock/covers group that became in it's 2nd incarnation an all out blues band.

One gig stands out for me.

I should point for those that don't know me from previous posts/videos that I am not a proper Jazz Pianist, so to play at a professional level event was a thrill, but also utterly terrifying.

This was in about 2004, when the Jazz quintet I was in ("Miles to Go"), played the Starborough Jazz Festival in Kent (UK). In our quintet we did have one professional player (not me), the Sax player. And it just so happened that she lived next door to the Festival organiser. So she got us the gig. We were advertised as "local band Miles to Go" and played on the first day of the event, at lunchtime (before the official event started). So basically there weren't many members of the public listening, but there were professional musicians, and friends and family of musicians arriving and getting prepared while we were playing. So I was scared before we started.

The professionals there would mostly be playing Trad Jazz or mainstream. We played tunes by Miles, Bill Evans, Monk and Wayne Shorter, so were more 'modern'. Happily I only played the head on one tune "Straight No Chaser". However when it came to play it my hands were sweating badly, which is the only time that's ever happened to me. As normal I played the head with unison right and left hands 2 octaves apart. Needless to say I stuffed it up, but we got through it, just....

After we'd finished, we quickly packed out gear, and as we were walking out the drummer and I bumped into a Clarinet player (Julian Marc Stringle) who we had seen only a few weeks before at the 606 Jazz Club in London, where he played a fantastic set, that went on into the early hours of the morning. I got him to sign a CD copy of his album "Blues for the morning after" that night.

Amazingly he said he'd enjoyed our set. I suspect he was being very polite. If I'd known he was listening I think my whole body would have melted away, and there wouldn't have been a Piano player left in our band.

Any great scary gigs other people would like to own up to?!

Cheers

Simon
Yamaha CLP535
Vox Continental 73
Yanagisawa AW10 (alto Sax)

Play what you enjoy listening to, listen to what you enjoy playing!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: A Scary Gig
Simon_b #3001547 07/11/20 03:21 PM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Simon, do you have a recording from this gig? Most likely your particular excitement prevented an objective assessment of your performance. Judging by the situation, your ensemble was not so bad if you were given the opportunity to play on the first day of the festival, even at lunchtime. And if that was so, then maybe there was something worse in the performance, but there was something better; and the benevolent ear of a professional could have noted such moments, especially if it happened during lunch:). There is a Russian proverb : “Fear has big eyes!”
Usually, if you ask a professional for an opinion about an orchestra heard, which played really badly, he will answer: “Yes, sounds good!” (maybe amplification is meant? smile.
Fortunately for me, I did not have to be in such a situation; opposite : I was always happy to play for the public and for the professionals present. The main thing is that there is a partner nearby who you can rely on; therefore, for me, the most convenient formation was a duet with a saxophone. In most cases, they were from the greatest saxophonists of the country where I was born, and the country where I live.

Simon_b #3001696 07/12/20 03:53 AM
Simon_b Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Nahum

I don't have any recordings sadly. Would love to have some as it would be very interesting to hear it. Fortunately we did record a mini album (5 tracks) live at a studio the year before, so I do have a representative recording of the quintet playing.

Happily I also have a poster from the event with our bands name on it. This is framed and on my music room wall upstairs to this day.

My only memory of playing during the event is getting the head of Straight No Chaser wrong. The rest of our short set may of been pretty good, but I have no recollection of anything else, whilst we were playing.

Cheers

Simon
Yamaha CLP535
Vox Continental 73

Simon_b #3001980 07/12/20 09:22 PM
J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I had one about a year ago. I take a Latin Jazz Ensemble Class. All adults and everyone is pretty good. It's sponsored by the Music Institute of Chicago which has a big fundraiser each year. And they like to have the various ensembles play a tune or two throughout the fundraiser.

So, somewhat nerve wracking to play a couple of tunes, on a stage, in front of all the Music Institutes high donors, but not a huge deal. Except last year, the guest of honor for the fundraiser, siting at a table front and center, was Wynton Marsalis. I know he could have cared less about how I played, but it was still VERY intense.

I love playing gigs and loosen up very quickly. This was an ordeal I can boast about but actually got no enjoyment from.

Simon_b #3001988 07/12/20 09:51 PM
I was playing weeknight solo piano at a slowly dying fine dining restaurant in the mid 90s (imagine having such an opportunity today!). There were rarely more that a few guests during my 3 hour gig on any given night. It was difficult to feel engaged needless to say.

So this one night, I was heading into my final hour, it was probably 9pm, bleary eyed from having worked a full 8 hours at my day job when the hostess said a VIP was coming in. I asked who it was and she said the name was not familiar to her, someone named Dave Brubeck. . .

He and his wife sat at the table right in front of me for at least 2 hours. I did my best and he was complimentary and left a nice tip but I was using everything I had and more to get through it.

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Online Jazz Piano Lessons
Yamaha C7 Disklavier DC7ENSPRO
Simon_b #3002018 07/13/20 01:47 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
We lived down the street from a professional jazz guitarist and music university professor. He rounded up some of the neighbourhood kids for 4+ hour weekly sessions in his basement. 3 of the musicians studied Jazz at his university but the most talented guy had little education (of any kind).

Eventually the professor invited us to open a few of his gigs in jazz clubs with 30 minute sets.

We were in way above our heads. But the professor introduced us as a "bonus" surprise; the audiences were incredibly kind and welcoming. The professor played with us on stage and took some of the solos so that helped. There wasn't much improv there although the professor told us to play whatever we felt.

Awesome experience for a bunch of teenagers.

Simon_b #3002025 07/13/20 02:46 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
I recalled only one occasion at the first big jazz festival in Russia in 1970, where important musicians from all over the country gathered, and there was a lot of understanding audience. The performance of our quartet was carefully prepared, but the encore saxophonist suddenly said: “Bai Mir Bistu Shein - C m!”; and immediately took the pace (and style) similar to Coltrane’s Giant Steps. Everything would be fine, but when it was my turn to play solo, after two bars I slipped in the rhythm at one beat , and I stayed so until its end.To our common happiness, the combination of drummer and bassist was later recognized as the best rhythm section in the Soviet Union (does not apply to me at all ).

Last edited by Nahum; 07/13/20 02:50 AM.
Simon_b #3002041 07/13/20 04:15 AM
Simon_b Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi

jjo - if Wynton Marsalis sat down when I was playing I think I'd start digging my own grave. But what a privilege to play in the presence of the great man, even if for you it was torture. A great story, thanks for sharing.

Bill - I can't imagine how intimidating that must have been, even if you are a pro yourself. He is very high on my list of favourite musicians. I saw him in concert in the 1980s and saw the Brubeck brothers on the 10th March this year. It was the last gig I went to before lockdown kicked in, in the UK. Shortly after that I went on a Dave Brubeck album buying spree! Again, thanks for sharing.

Nahum - oops - you are human after all :-)

Cheers

Simon
Yamaha CLP535
Vox Continental 73

Simon_b #3002044 07/13/20 04:30 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Simon_b
Nahum - oops - you are human after all :-)
human- yes , but from my side not professional enough . https://yadi.sk/d/d_Q5YpwI6eEcu

Simon_b #3002160 07/13/20 12:54 PM
I
I
Regarding Dave Brubeck, I saw him in Orlando around 1973. The Orlando symphony at the time (Florida Symphony Orchestra) had a concert series with jazz legends appearing with their bands, and also doing some pieces with the orchestra.

They had Erroll Garner, Lionel Hampton, George Shearing and Dave Brubeck. I went to all 4 concerts. Dave (this was 1973) brought a couple of his sons along (Darius and Chris I think) and featured them.

Well, Darius booked his band at the time to play locally maybe a month later. It was in a gymnasium at a local college (Rollins College). I and several of my young (at the time) musician friends bought tickets for Darius' concert. When the time came, there were only about maybe 30 people who came to see them. I remember Chris and Darius. And a clarinet player named Perry Robinson. As I recall they pretty much just played free jazz. I felt bad for them.

I went thru a huge admiration for Dave Brubeck, really, courtesy of a local flea market with a used record store (old carpet pieces on a dirt floor and a cheap tin roof). I discovered a lot of music, thanks to used records (vinyl).

For anyone new to Brubeck, I recommend Live at Carnegie Hall. Around 1963 or so.

Simon_b #3003495 07/16/20 09:04 PM
M
M
A session not a gig. My sight reading even when it was at its best was never good especially for a studio work. I was a guitarist back then and was known for my rhythm playing because I knew a lot of styles and good fingerpicker for acoustic work. I assumed my friend that recommended me for the session informed the composer sight reading notes wasn't my thing, but no.

On the session I was lucky the second guitarist was a good friend and we'd had jammed many times. We do the first tune and my 2nd guitar part was just about all chords and just a couple notes I could grab. We get to the second tune I open the 2nd guitar part and its almost all notes, I must of turned white as a ghost. My buddy on 1st guitar looked over and knew the problem and said let's switch parts it's acoustic which you're better at and less note reading. So we switched.

It's amazing what terror can do and I never focused on anything so hard in my life and I made it thru the chart. I was focusing so hard it was like time slowed down and I had all the time in the world to read the notes and play them. Terror can be your friend.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
rhythm vs beautiful sound/overall effect.
by daoc2009 - 08/07/20 01:08 PM
Sforzandi in Beethoven
by samwitdangol - 08/07/20 11:27 AM
Production Voices - sfz libs are on sale
by VladK - 08/07/20 10:14 AM
Top end digital pianos??
by Chrisgilx - 08/07/20 10:00 AM
Kawai ES110 pedal options
by Jonesy038 - 08/07/20 06:38 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,779
Posts2,989,143
Members98,052
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission