2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
43 members (Gene Nelson, AZNpiano, ando, dng, Chrispy, aspirar, blueviewlaguna., Charles Cohen, 13 invisible), 467 guests, and 446 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I don't know what's going on with me
#3001436 07/11/20 10:42 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi friends!
I've been wondering what title I should give this thread, and I don't have a better one, so that's what I've ended up with.
Last time I talked about the action on my SL-88Grand keyboard controller getting some problems. The service person said that the key contact on the E4 is torn, therefore always getting the loud velocities only. He will swop out all the key contacts and get in new ones to prevent further problems from happening to other notes. This will take at least one or two weeks as he needs to order parts from the manufacturer.
Meanwhile, a friend from church lent me a Roland HP 236. I believe that's the model number. It's a digital piano with a very small number of polyphony and therefore kills voices, and compared to the virtual pianos I'm playing on the computer, this beast is less inspiring to play with, and the action is very light. And within two hours of practice, the E-flat 6 key on the piano decided to not press down. Yes, it's stuck up there, only making wooden percussive noises.
I'm afraid for myself, not sure if it is really one of my key presses that resulted in the problem. From now on, no one would be willing to lend me their keyboards for help.
I really don't know what's going on! ...
Sorry, just thought to step up on here and talk about recent happenings, didn't mean to rant, but that's my concern for now. Because I don't have a midi cable, no enjoyment with the VSL Steinway, the Garritan CFX or whatever for another week or so!
I really miss them!!! smile

Re: I don't know what's going on with me
David Lai #3001441 07/11/20 10:51 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If it was your doing, I think your fingers would tell you before the keys.

David Lai #3001445 07/11/20 10:57 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Sorry to hear that David. I do have an unreasonable fear of not having a keyboard to play. I hope your problems get sorted out soon for you.

David Lai #3001446 07/11/20 10:59 AM
K
K
David, so nice to hear from you! Sorry for your troubles! It's sort of akin to an anti-Midas Touch!

Just think of how happy you will be when you get your SL-88 back in working order and you have your lovely VSTs. Absence makes the heart grow fonder..? Easier for me to say than it is for you to endure. Hopefully it will not take too long.

Previous long-time owner of a Yahama P-120 (and love it) - now has new life with a student
Brand new owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
David Lai #3001466 07/11/20 11:48 AM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
My usual reaction to "stuff" like that is .... buy a "better" (i.e. new) keyboard. I do not wish to fool around with this and that with any sort or regularity.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Mackie MIX 5 Compact Mixer.
dmd #3001473 07/11/20 12:04 PM
E
EPW Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by dmd
My usual reaction to "stuff" like that is .... buy a "better" (i.e. new) keyboard. I do not wish to fool around with this and that with any sort or regularity.

Yep I have agree. Even if it means coming up with a special budget. Especially if this is your hobby David. I'm not saying go out and buy a Kawai MP11SE of course Kawai James wouldn't mind if you did smile

peace

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
David Lai #3001482 07/11/20 12:30 PM
H
Online Content
H
David I can totally understand how you feel, as we are all piano enthusiasts! It really sucks to not have an enjoyable instrument to practice on but you can just regard that as an opportunity to try different actions and make the best music out of it. You are such a gifted pianist and I’m really looking forward to hearing you play more.

David Lai #3001485 07/11/20 12:34 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Don't fret. Things break. So you get them fixed.
Originally Posted by David Lai
The service person said that the key contact on the E4 is torn, therefore always getting the loud velocities only. He will swop out all the key contacts and get in new ones to prevent further problems from happening to other notes. This will take at least one or two weeks as he needs to order parts from the manufacturer.
I've had the same problem at least three times before. Contacts had to be replaced. And ... I said "at least" because I suspect I'm suffering a fourth case right now.

David Lai #3001492 07/11/20 12:53 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi friends!
Thanks for all your messages. Add to that I'm currently learning the piano part to Mozart's sonata for violin and piano in B-flat major, K. 454. That would keep me busy for the week!
Meanwhile, thanks for your messages of empathy. I'll do some multi-replying to what I heard above.
1. I'm not a heavy-handed person, so not sure what happened when I was practicing on that Roland digital piano, but that E-flat 6 is stuck up there and can't be pushed down. That SL-88 problem might just have happened with wear and tear.
2. If I bought another keyboard, I hope to have on-board controllers like the SL88Grand. Not sure if such keyboards exist. Plus, now I'm undera two-year warranty, so all fixes are free of charge. I don't want to fork out more cash right at this moment. If I do, I should like to get some discounts or compensations. smile
3. To MacMacMac: wow, looks like you have encountered this more than once! So is this a common problem with digital weighted keyboards?
Thanks again for reading everything, I'm still waiting for the day when I can greet my VST's again and listen through my KRK Rokit 5 G4's. Until then, still got to get my fingers movin'! smile If all goes well, I hope to try posting performances online and see how it goes with me when all this settles. These VST's are fun to play, and I can't wait to really play them well! smile

David Lai #3001493 07/11/20 12:56 PM
E
EPW Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Good thing it is under warranty David. Hope you are up and running shortly.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
EPW #3001501 07/11/20 01:13 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by EPW
Good thing it is under warranty David. Hope you are up and running shortly.

Yeah, lucky me it was 10 months old when I took it in. smile

David Lai #3001529 07/11/20 02:25 PM
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
David, about the Roland having issues, it is an old piano, who knows how well (if ever) maintained? It probably already had that issue or it was about to and you were the lucky one to hit the jackpot.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
EVC2017 #3001542 07/11/20 03:08 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by EVC2017
David, about the Roland having issues, it is an old piano, who knows how well (if ever) maintained? It probably already had that issue or it was about to and you were the lucky one to hit the jackpot.

Yeah, it very well must be so. You know, if I played using just a little force to get a louder sound, I would hear a slight thump in the action. And sliding myfinger over the raised key services tells me that these keys have been relaxed due to time, not as stable as a new keyboard, let alone an acoustic piano.

David Lai #3001771 07/12/20 10:05 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi friends!
I've been wondering what title I should give this thread, and I don't have a better one, so that's what I've ended up with.
Last time I talked about the action on my SL-88Grand keyboard controller getting some problems. The service person said that the key contact on the E4 is torn, therefore always getting the loud velocities only. He will swop out all the key contacts and get in new ones to prevent further problems from happening to other notes. This will take at least one or two weeks as he needs to order parts from the manufacturer.
Meanwhile, a friend from church lent me a Roland HP 236. I believe that's the model number. It's a digital piano with a very small number of polyphony and therefore kills voices, and compared to the virtual pianos I'm playing on the computer, this beast is less inspiring to play with, and the action is very light. And within two hours of practice, the E-flat 6 key on the piano decided to not press down. Yes, it's stuck up there, only making wooden percussive noises.
I'm afraid for myself, not sure if it is really one of my key presses that resulted in the problem. From now on, no one would be willing to lend me their keyboards for help.
Sorry, just thought to step up on here and talk about recent happenings, didn't mean to rant, but that's my concern for now. Because I don't have a midi cable, no enjoyment with the VSL Steinway, the Garritan CFX or whatever for another week or so!

Do you get any skin discolouration at the piano?
Do you have trouble fitting into your clothing sometimes?
Are there often times in your life when others perceive your bad moods to be a tad destructive?
Do you sometimes wake up in the middle of nowhere wearing only underwear and not remembering how you got there?

If so, I think you might be striking the keys too hard...

[Linked Image]

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Doug M. #3001829 07/12/20 12:02 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Doug M.
Hi friends!

Do you get any skin discolouration at the piano?
Do you have trouble fitting into your clothing sometimes?
Are there often times in your life when others perceive your bad moods to be a tad destructive?
Do you sometimes wake up in the middle of nowhere wearing only underwear and not remembering how you got there?

If so, I think you might be striking the keys too hard...

[Linked Image]

I can tell you with relief that the 4 answers to your questions above is one and the same, a resounding no! smile I conclude it's either a not very well maintained instrument, or it has just met its time, the key I mean. smile I will call the service personnel again either tomorrow or the day after and ask him about updates. Meanwhile enjoying some Mozart now as I type, memorizing this sonata for piano and violin.

EPW #3001845 07/12/20 01:00 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EPW
Originally Posted by dmd

Yep I have agree. Even if it means coming up with a special budget. Especially if this is your hobby David. I'm not saying go out and buy a Kawai MP11SE of course Kawai James wouldn't mind if you did smile

peace

He might if it broke down . . . . smile 'snot the end o' the world, man!
But if my bike packed in . . .

Last edited by peterws; 07/12/20 01:01 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #3001882 07/12/20 03:40 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by EPW
Originally Posted by dmd

peace

He might if it broke down . . . . smile 'snot the end o' the world, man!
But if my bike packed in . . .

Hmm, if I bought a Kawai and if it broke down by any chance, I now know who to reach out and beg his mercy to take good care of my keyboard... lol
Now just waiting patiently for my keyboard to be back, while still missing great piano sounds played live on my computer. smile

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha with a history coming up for sale
by BDB - 08/06/20 07:53 PM
Minor 6 chords in songs
by Visalia - 08/06/20 05:58 PM
Yamaha p515 headphone output panning problem
by omvibraphone - 08/06/20 05:56 PM
Help identifying piece..
by Issadore - 08/06/20 05:17 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,766
Posts2,988,935
Members98,052
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission