2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 6 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
PatG Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I recently meet a piano teacher that told me she has a 74 year old student that has been taking piano lessons from her for 34 years! The student loves coming to lessons. My word, that's a long time. Got me to thinking how long you should stay with the same teacher? Should you change after a few years? How long have you stayed with the same teacher? I've been with mine for 3 1/2 years now.

Pat, short for Patricia
Kawai KG-1 5’5” baby grand
Started piano lessons in my retirement, January 2018
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Wow! Marriages don’t last that long. They must have a very good working relationship. Probably have since become friendship as well.

I’ve been with my teacher for just over a year now. I think sometimes relationships stop working and at that moment it’s time to change. It’s hard to say when that might be since every relationship is different.

Kawai K500
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by PatG
How long have you stayed with the same teacher? I've been with mine for 3 1/2 years now.
As long as your teacher and you are still working well together, and you haven't outgrown her, you should stay together indefinitely whistle.

For example, Evgeny Kissin remained with the same teacher ever since he was six (and his teacher and his mother accompanied him to every concert even when he was well into adulthood), and look where he is now....

Some teachers are only able to teach students to a certain level, and then they will gracefully bow out and allow someone else to take over. Many teachers who teach beginners are not competent (or don't consider themselves competent) to teach to super-advanced level, and of course, many - probably most - teachers who specialize in teaching advanced students won't touch beginners.

I had four teachers over the course of ten years, and each time, I changed only because I had to: my first teacher (who was only nineteen, but already had a teaching diploma) left after a year to further her piano studies abroad; I myself subsequently left home to move to a country 20,000 miles away (as the crow doesn't fly) where I attended a new high school, and therefore, had a new teacher who only spoke in a strange language (English smirk ); and when I went to university, I again had to have a new teacher, because I'd outgrown my last one, who only taught students to Grade 8 ABRSM and only at that high school. My last teacher, a concert pianist, only taught advanced students.

If music be the food of love, play on!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'll stay as long as my teacher will have me!

Learner
F
F
36 months is the longest I've studied with one teacher. With other teachers it's ranged from 2 months to 24 months.

I've changed teachers because I've re-located several times in my life. If I had stayed put, I would have stayed with my first teacher for decades. Ditto for my other teachers. I've never had a bad teacher.

Currently my teacher is not giving lessons due to the pandemic. She doesn't do modern technology. May be 2021 before I have another lesson.

Just do it. -- Nike
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Five years. I'd had one year with another teacher before switching to her. She doesn't generally teach beginners (which I still was), but took me anyway. There will most definitely be no problem with me ever exceeding her ability to teach me.

I think if you and your teacher are on the same wavelength and you're still learning, there's no good reason to change.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
... There will most definitely be no problem with me ever exceeding her ability to teach me...

Certainly true in my case as well.

Learner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have had my present teacher for 9 years. I was lucky to find a teacher who was a good fit when I returned to piano After not having touched a piano in 40 years and not having lessons since college. He is capable of teaching as far as I will get. In fact the last couple of years the arthritis in my right hand has become so bad that I cannot play things I could 3 to 4 years ago. I am grateful I can still play and the doctor said playing the piano is the best thing I can do for it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
P
PatG Offline OP
OP Offline
P
zillybug - so sorry about your arthritis. That is a bummer, but at least you can still play and as your doctor said its good therapy. I'm sure with the years that you have had, you can play lots of pieces for the pure enjoyment of it. Doesn't have to be real challenging ones. Just enjoy what you can do!

Pat, short for Patricia
Kawai KG-1 5’5” baby grand
Started piano lessons in my retirement, January 2018
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
For another perspective, I'll answer this as a studio piano teacher, most of whose students are adult beginners or intermediates. When you find a good fit with a piano teacher, you want to stay with them through thick and thin, more or less forever. The teacher quite likely feels the same way. Most of my students have been with me for at least a few years, and plenty have been with me more than a decade. That's quite special and very gratifying, and we develop quite a bond. It's friendship in most cases, even though it's tied to the piano, and I get paid.

But to argue differently, I will also suggest that after three to five years as someone's piano student, it's not a bad idea to try someone new. Scary, but not bad. Sad, but not bad. No one piano teacher can bring everything musical and pianistic to any one student. I had a whole fleet of piano teachers over the years, and I learned something from each of them.

An alternative, if you don't want to leave your present teacher, is to head off in the summers to a piano workshop for adults, to get a different point of view. With the present virus, of course, these residential programs are all on hold. I hope they return.

Another more controversial idea is to have two piano teachers simultaneously, perhaps seeing each one every 2 weeks, in alternation. It's tricky to pull off, and you might have to do it on the sly, but I think it has value. (Many piano teachers are probably not cool with this, but I would be.)

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I spent about eighteen months with each of my first two teachers. In both cases I felt I wasn't learning anything from them, and that my lessons were little more than simple hand holding. However, my main complaint, which I can see clearer as I look back, was a lack of teaching the basics, which led to my unease.

I have been with my third teacher for four and half years, and I don't feel any urge to change. My goal is to continue with lessons to grade 8, three years away I hope. Past that I haven't given any thought about what I might be doing.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
For another perspective, I'll answer this as a studio piano teacher, most of whose students are adult beginners or intermediates. When you find a good fit with a piano teacher, you want to stay with them through thick and thin, more or less forever. The teacher quite likely feels the same way. Most of my students have been with me for at least a few years, and plenty have been with me more than a decade. That's quite special and very gratifying, and we develop quite a bond. It's friendship in most cases, even though it's tied to the piano, and I get paid.

..... Another more controversial idea is to have two piano teachers simultaneously, perhaps seeing each one every 2 weeks, in alternation. It's tricky to pull off, and you might have to do it on the sly, but I think it has value. (Many piano teachers are probably not cool with this, but I would be.)

Doesn’t staying with a teacher partially depend on mutual trust? If so, taking from a second teacher ‘on the sly’ has the very real potential of destroying that trust and being dropped by your primary teacher.

It is not easy to have two teachers from the perspective of the student, as each teacher will have different perspectives re the music. there will always be differences even if both are excellent teachers. The first year I attended piano camp, I felt strain over this but learned to accept it and also started coming home and discussing the instructions from piano camp. You can’t do this if you are keeping the second teacher a secret.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
I think if you are satisfied with your progress and you feel comfortable with your teacher, there is no need to change teacher.

B
B
I'd say that if anyone is going to have two teachers at the same time (which in my book is a Very Bad Idea), do not learn the same rep from both of them, whether or not they know of each other's existence. If they're any good, they're going to have different ideas on how any specific piece should be played - not just dynamics, shaping, articulation but also overall conception and character.

Just as we admire different concert pianists - and some of us have diametrically opposite views of certain pianists with strong personalities in their playing - it's obvious that two different teachers won't just teach in different ways, they'll also teach different things in the same pieces. Clashing viewpoints in the same piece for the student only cause confusion, and cast doubt in his mind about the abilities of his teachers. Once the student starts to lose trust in his teachers' competence, all is lost.

When I was a student, once I was sufficiently technically and musically competent (sometime in my third year), I was learning many pieces on my own, of my own choosing (with no regard for their difficulty level). I never asked my teacher for help with them, because I chose to learn them for myself and I had my own ideas on what I wanted to do with them - and I wanted to play them my own way, untainted by seeds of doubt cast on my ideas by someone else, even if she knew a lot more than I did.......

If music be the food of love, play on!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
11th year with my first and only teacher.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
W
I will stay with my teacher unless she moves far away, which can happen. As for having different teachers, she encourages me to attend this summer camp where she also teaches. Basically the teachers bring their students and exchange them with colleagues. I try not to make my teacher look bad :-)

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
If I had the extra money and extra time, I would consider having a jazz piano teacher alongside a classical piano teacher. I would consider that to be “ok” because I would be learning something totally different from either of them.

Kawai K500
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PatG
How long have you stayed with the same teacher?
24.5 months, so far.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission