2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
42 members (aphexdisklavier, Gretel, Gene Nelson, gwing, David Boyce, Greta99, Flygbladet, HarmonicSimon, 6 invisible), 400 guests, and 423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Is it important to play with others as a classical pianist?
#3000943 07/10/20 05:04 AM
H
hyena Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Heyo,

Recently I've been curious of playing pieces with other musicians. Such as accompanying the countless sonatas for flute, violin, etc. Currently I'm in contact with a flutist and we're planning to do Siciliano from Bach.

Those who have experience accompanying musicians, do you think this made you grew as musician? If so, how?

Also, any tips?

Last edited by hyena; 07/10/20 05:06 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Is it important to play with others as a classical pianist?
hyena #3000947 07/10/20 05:32 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I have found that the piano parts are usually much more difficult than the solo instrument parts. My wife plays clarinet, and can sight-read anything - "just to try it out". I cannot sight read what she brings me to try - the piano parts usually require weeks of work. By the time I get it to a decent speed, she has forgotten that she wanted to play it!

Be sure that you look at the piano part to judge the difficulty before promising to play something, and allow yourself plenty of time. The instrumentalists always underestimate how difficult the piano part is and how quickly I can learn it.

You must be able to keep going no matter what - no stopping, correcting, or going back. Practice with a metronome.

You have to know the solo part, how it sounds, so that you can jump back in if you stumble.

Yes, it's a lot of work, humbling, and a big commitment in time, but also rewarding.

Sam

Sam S #3000965 07/10/20 06:47 AM
N
Nip Offline
N
Originally Posted by Sam S
Practice with a metronome.

Sam

This - not only to know your part, but you also pratice to listen while playing, which is the same as playing with other people.

The metronome represents other people playing with you. It also means if increasing tempo for easier part you keep it steady listening to fellow musicians.

Kawai MP7SE - Hammond XK3c - Synthesizers
Sam S #3001017 07/10/20 09:49 AM
H
hyena Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Sam S
I have found that the piano parts are usually much more difficult than the solo instrument parts. My wife plays clarinet, and can sight-read anything - "just to try it out". I cannot sight read what she brings me to try - the piano parts usually require weeks of work. By the time I get it to a decent speed, she has forgotten that she wanted to play it!

Sam

I've noticed yup! The flute player told me that it wasn't difficult for her to sight-read though. The main difficulty / practice for her was getting the sound good.

Been looking into some of the grade pieces of flute. Telemann got some great ones too!

hyena #3001030 07/10/20 10:28 AM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I've played with violinists, singers and other pianists, and it's a great way to form musical partnerships (and make friends & influence people whistle).

Not to mention improving your listening & rhythmic acumen, and knowing how to 'breathe' in music.

I often sight-read the music when playing for the first time in a new piece with them (they tend to plonk the score in front of me and think I should be able to sight-read a dense 'accompaniment' in two - even three - staves, while they only have to read one melodic line.....which they've played before) but at least, I can often leave out a few unnecessary notes without the music sounding odd, as long as I play in time, whereas they have to play or sing in tune without the music sounding odd...... smirk

Here's a nice and lovely little easy piece that you can play with a singer or a violinist - or a singer and a violinist wow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgDaD85YbQM

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
hyena #3001038 07/10/20 10:53 AM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I have enjoyed and I believe I have benefited considerably through accompanying other instrumentalists and singers. It does sometimes frustrate me to work with those who have no idea of what playing the piano involves. Most of them, singers and instrumentalists, are looking at and reading one line, one note at a time, while pianists ... well, we know what pianists are up against, particularly when faced with music we have not seen before.

While it's a compliment to be known as a relatively good sight-reader, and while it helps out in some circumstances to have reached such a level, some of the lesser-informed will assume, then, that a pianist should be able to sight-read just as quickly as they.

Yes, a pianist can benefit in many ways from collaborating with other musicians; it can be a satisfying experience for both pianist and soloist or ensemble. It helps hone reading skills, it forces one to forge ahead without stopping whatever is written in the score, but in the end if and when successfully performed, the collaboration can be an uplifting experience, quite different from the rewards of a solo performance.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
hyena #3001084 07/10/20 12:26 PM
W
W
Improves your musicianship and it's a lot of fun. Accompanying, ensemble, duets. I have been isolated since the virus lockdown and I really miss playing with others. There is nothing like the feeling when you exchange a look and you understand without words.

hyena #3001224 07/10/20 04:51 PM
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
I would rate it as bonus points or extra credit. Something above and beyond what is required to be a good classical pianist.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

hyena #3001386 07/11/20 05:22 AM
I
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I
It's an invaluable experience to play with other musicians. Use every opportunity to do it.

When you analyze your part, first of all try to determine what must be played without fail and what may be omitted in case of difficulties. Keep that in mind when playing. Also note where solo instrument have pauses.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jack(?) clicking
by Keybender - 08/14/20 06:29 AM
Uncomfortable fingering in a book
by Tom97 - 08/14/20 05:16 AM
Beta testers wanted to test new music practice app!
by musicpracticeapp - 08/14/20 02:51 AM
Why are piano sheets for the same song wildly different?
by onaiplatigid - 08/14/20 12:52 AM
Pianodisc help? Repair? Advice?
by Spuds - 08/13/20 11:43 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,911
Posts2,991,624
Members98,139
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission