2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
57 members (DaKillaGuineaPig, Almaviva, CyberGene, Blague, anotherscott, achoo42, Bobby Badd, Animisha, 14 invisible), 462 guests, and 476 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Hammer Drilling Jig
#3000885 07/10/20 12:15 AM
B
BDB Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
B
Several years ago, I had a set of hammers which were bored correctly for the tenor, but were the wrong distance for the bass. So I plugged the holes in the bass, and put together a jig to rebore them on my ShopSmith. It was okay for that, but I began to think about how it could be better. Being able to bore hammers would be nice, but I live in an area where the cost of living is really high, and so I had to come up with something that would do the job so quickly that it competes with getting the hammers pre-bored.

Besides the diameter, there are three dimensions involved in boring hammers:
1. The length of the bore, from the tip of the hammer to the center of the hole.
2. The tilt angle up or down.
3. The tilt angle left to right.

For a set of hammers, number 1 only changes when going between different levels of cross stringing, once or twice at most. Number 2 does not change at all. Number 3 changes often, so that had to be accommodated. The important factor is that in order to keep 1 and 2 from changing when 3 changes, the drill bit must go exactly through the center of the hammer molding.

The second factor was the hammers need to be changed quickly. The ShopSmith as a horizontal boring machine only needs the hammer to be held in place, which I can do with my hand. No clamps!

So I came up with this:

[Linked Image]

This is how it looks from the top looking down. The clamps hold the back stop and the length stop in place. The back stop can be adjusted for the angle (if the hammer is tilted up or down from the shank, as on some uprights) and the length stop sets the length of bore. At the boring point, the vertical center of the hammer is on the centerline of the table, which is also the centerline of rotation for the trunnion.

Since the hammer is resting flat on the table, I can hold in in place with my fingers, so the hammers do not need to be clamped, which is the main time savings.

The cutout in front is for when the table needs to be tilted back, like when boring upright bass hammers, or tenor grand hammers.

[Linked Image]

The center of the drill is at the height of the center of the hammer molding, which is half the thickness of the hammer molding.

[Linked Image]

The center of the hammer is at the center of the axis of rotation of the trunnion. The left-to-right boring angle is set by tilting the table at the trunnion. Using the scale on the trunnion, it is easy to adjust the angle to within 1/2°. The important part of the design is that tilting the table does not change the center point of the hammer, so the drill always goes through that center point.

[Linked Image]

To use it, set the stop for the length, and the back stop for the front-to-back angle, if necessary. I use the depth stop on the ShopSmith to keep from drilling all the way through upright hammers, and from drilling deep into the back stop when drilling grand hammers.

It only takes a second or so to change the left-to-right angle using the trunnion. When going from the tenor to the bass hammers, the length stop needs to be changed, as well as the trunnion angle.

[Linked Image]

Markings on the table for the centerline of the hammer and hammer length make set-up faster.

If you need bigger pictures, they are here.

This is so easy to use that I have used it to bore individual hammers.

I made this at the time ShopSmith was upgrading their table system, so I found someone who had upgraded his, and got his old table assembly for $25. (More than he wanted for it, but it was worth it for me.) Everything else was made from scraps of plywood.

It may not be so easy to find the trunnions now, but I am posting this to show the principles. If I were to make something like this now, I would start by making the table that tilts on an axis half the thickness of a hammer above it. I think this could be built using a pair of good-quality door hinges. A trunnion to indicate the tilt could be cut out of wood. The table does not have to tilt very far. I would make the table slide into the drill bit, probably with some pillow blocks and rods, with appropriate stops.

Semipro Tech
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Hammer Drilling Jig
BDB #3000922 07/10/20 03:31 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Very interesting, BDB!

BDB #3000961 07/10/20 06:26 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
thanks, BDB

BDB #3001022 07/10/20 10:05 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
BDB,

Nice work! Yes the centering is crucial. Nice fix on that.

Though I used to bore my own hammers I almost always use Ronsen hammers and the cost of having Ray Negron do it for me is insignificant in comparison. If I bore them, then I have to taper them too and prepare the tails myself, and I pay extra to do special stuff to the tails. He does an accurate job according to the specs I send him. Well worth it to me.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
P W Grey #3001039 07/10/20 10:56 AM
B
BDB Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Shaping and tapering the tails is easy on a ShopSmith with the sanding attachments. As I said, I wanted to bore the hammers quickly enough so it competes with the supplier boring them. It takes less than an hour to drill a set with this jig, and the results are more accurate than some of the hammers I had received in the past. The hardest part is keeping the hammers in order!

Semipro Tech
BDB #3001113 07/10/20 01:45 PM
L
L
Thanks

BDB #3001284 07/10/20 07:25 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BDB
The hardest part is keeping the hammers in order!

Yes, I pick out what extras I need to and then number them straight out of the box. That helps a lot when they end up all over the floor by accident.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
BDB #3001288 07/10/20 07:36 PM
B
BDB Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I cut the boxes they come in down the middle, lengthwise, and sort them by sections (bass, tenor, low treble, high treble) into those boxes. It makes them easy to grab. I put them into one end of the box, and put them back starting at the other end. That also helps me figure when to change the drilling angle.

Semipro Tech
BDB #3001420 07/11/20 09:36 AM
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I will note that every factory boring jig I have seen has been a horizontal slide.

Craig Hair
Hampshire Piano
Chesterfield, MA
Conservative Piano Restoration
Watch us on YouTube

It is never too late for a happy childhood.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
W. Hoffmann (Langlau)
by Lijpe_Tjap - 08/07/20 02:30 PM
rhythm vs beautiful sound/overall effect.
by daoc2009 - 08/07/20 01:08 PM
Sforzandi in Beethoven
by samwitdangol - 08/07/20 11:27 AM
Production Voices - sfz libs are on sale
by VladK - 08/07/20 10:14 AM
Top end digital pianos??
by Chrisgilx - 08/07/20 10:00 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,779
Posts2,989,143
Members98,052
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission