2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 6 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3000715 07/09/20 04:05 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
In one of Bernstein's "Young People's Concerts" lectures he describes the common 1-2-3 melodic trick utilized by composer throughout the ages. He falsely attributes this to the opening of Beethoven 5 to include the intro, surprisingly. The 1-2-3 technique begins after the 8-note intro. The 3 "takeoff" appears on the return to the tonic after the dominant. Somewhat amusing of a mistake to be made by the great Lenny Bernstein I think. grin

https://youtu.be/2AFovpvDRCI?t=558

E
E
Well... If you and Bernstein have different opinions, I would humbly suggest you check yours again.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
There's nothing to check.

E
E
Good for you

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by chopinetto
In one of Bernstein's "Young People's Concerts" lectures he describes the common 1-2-3 melodic trick utilized by composer throughout the ages. He falsely attributes this to the opening of Beethoven 5 to include the intro, surprisingly. The 1-2-3 technique begins after the 8-note intro. The 3 "takeoff" appears on the return to the tonic after the dominant. Somewhat amusing of a mistake to be made by the great Lenny Bernstein I think. grin

chopinetto:

I think you missed the point. This is what Bernstein was (very clearly) explaining with the Beethoven example.

Two fragments: 1) Ready, 2) Set, then the piece gets underway with 3) Go! His other examples suggested the same compositional technique.

[Linked Image]

No blunder on the maestro's point, I think.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
I think Bernstein's example in the Beethoven is fine.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

chopinetto:

I think you missed the point. This is what Bernstein was (very clearly) explaining with the Beethoven example.

Two fragments: 1) Ready, 2) Set, then the piece gets underway with 3) Go! His other examples suggested the same compositional technique.

[Linked Image]

Regards,
I'm sorry, but that is incorrect. If you watch the lecture, he is breaking down a very specific kind of theme construction. In the Beethoven, the theme does not start until bar 6. The first five bars act as intro material preceding the theme.

[Linked Image]

A
A
I have never heard of this before. Can someone please explain this "melodic trick" to me or send me the link to the video in which it is explained? Thank you!

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by samwitdangol
I have never heard of this before. Can someone please explain this "melodic trick" to me or send me the link to the video in which it is explained? Thank you!
https://youtu.be/2AFovpvDRCI?t=474

A
A
I see nothing wrong with Bernstein's example.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I see nothing wrong with Bernstein's example.
I would only be repeating myself now.

I thought this would be a no-brainer around here. Oops.

A
A
I believe you are correct and it's easy to see why. We can clearly see 1-2-3 idea once again after the introductory minor third at measure 24. Measure 25 and further follows with the same 1-2-3 idea as seen in measure 6. Therefore the introduction is not the main thematic material, at least not in the way that Bernstein is explaining it.

Last edited by achoo42; 07/09/20 09:14 PM.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by achoo42
I believe you are correct and it's easy to see why. We can clearly see 1-2-3 idea once again after the introductory minor third at measure 24. Measure 25 and further follows with the same 1-2-3 idea as seen in measure 6. Therefore the introduction is not the main thematic material, at least not in the way that Bernstein is explaining it.
Finally.

T
T
Originally Posted by BruceD

chopinetto:

[Linked Image]

Regards,
Agreed, BruceD. Clearly illustrated starting at 9:20. Sorry, I don't agree with you, chopinetto, but a big thanks for sharing the video.

First love: August Förster 215
5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
I think Bernstein is quite clear about what he means. It's not a mistake. Being obnoxious to forum members doesn't alter that.

C
Online Content
C
I also see nothing wrong with Bernstein's analysis.

Just dismissing the first 5 bars by stating that "The first five bars act as intro material preceding the theme." explains nothing.

It's just an intro? Can you explain what is happening in the 5 bar Intro?

I do. Just wondering if you do.

And the next 16 bars that you are applying your 1-2-3 to is a standard 16 bar phrase, with 2 lots of 4 bars.

S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S
I think there is no doubt that the main theme starts in bar 6 and ends in bar 21. Berstein does not say anything contrary, he just explain that there is a thematic intro with a repated motives which then spins off the main theme.

BTW, i would not call it a melodic trick, but a structural one. There are cases where the intro uses motives from the main themes and other cases where it is completely different. Also the clasdical composers liked symetry so very often motives are repeated but i would not necessarily call it a 1,2,3. Even in the case of the 5th, it is debatable whether it should be viewed as a 1,2,3. I feel it more like a 1,2, the repeated motives are there essentially to solidify the intro and set the stage (something like the announcement before the curtain is removed and the play starts) rather than built a momentum. But i guess it is a personal assessment.

The Haffner is not using a 1,2,3. The intro is not symetrical and is in my view is a one piece cloth with 2 motives, of which part of the first theme.

Berstein liked to make it simple, so i guess as an example of one particular case it is fine.

Blüthner model 6
A
A
The first five bars are not part of the main theme?

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
The first five bars are not part of the main theme?
Structurally, no.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
I think Bernstein is quite clear about what he means. It's not a mistake. Being obnoxious to forum members doesn't alter that.
It was indeed a mistake. Being obtuse in a forum doesn't alter that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission