2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Just another little thing - I see that the CA48 has a "Brilliance" setting. If the Philips lack bass, try reducing brilliance. (and then perhaps also turn the volume up slightly).
From what ECBetancor is saying, it appears that the bass-light Philips might suit the CA48, but if you still think there isn't enough, maybe the Brilliance setting will help. It'd be better if it had a separate adjustment for bass, of course. You could always add an external equaliser.

Greg

E
OP Offline
E
That’s indeed some great advice, Greg. I would definitely look into some cheap AMPs in the near future, should the sound comes from the Philips become unbearable. I was just shocked that my false expectations could change things so dramatically.

Also, when you get something for free, you’d be looking them down a bit, the Sony is indeed a good pair for listening to music, now that I think about it:)

Originally Posted by sullivang
Eugene: I'm glad you have made good progress.

Again - you may notice an improvement in sound with the Philips, if you use even a very cheap headphone amp, that has a low output impedance. (circa 5 ohms or less - the less, the better).
Now that you have a Lightning converter, you could transfer a recording of the CA48 over to the phone, and compare the difference - the Lightning adaptor does have a low output impedance.
Take care to match the volume levels as closely as possible, because volume has an effect on perceived tone colour, as I think you've acknowledged. If the phone sounds better, that's a sign that the amp would help.

Just btw, after poking around at reviews and measurements of the Lightning adaptor, I think it is excellent - I would not hesitate to use it with sensitive headphones. (it doesn't put out enough voltage for many high impedance headphones)

I agree - I wouldn't judge the Sony's by their "passive" (analog) behaviour.

Greg

E
OP Offline
E
As an owner of a CA48, I really don’t want to agree with you, but it seems that’s indeed the fact. I was surprised that to dive a 32ohm headphone, I would need to set the volume to 90% on the CA48. So sad.

I couldn’t agree more with the flat response part, that’s also the reason I bought the Philips in the first place. Btw, I have a pair of Samson SR850 incoming, seems it’s currently clearing custom, and I should be able to get them within days. I’ll compare the two when I get my hands on them.

Originally Posted by ECBetancor
Besides all what have been said here so far, I just want to add that, while it's clearly not a problem at all, it's also true the CA48 headphone amp is weak, it's like the one on a mobile phone. Therefore low impedance headphones, like 32 ohm, are the way to go. For anything above 55 ohm we'd need to add an external headphone amp.

Another thing: Digital piano headphones are better flat and especially with Kawai sounds, that are more mellow. All those bass enhanced headphones are going to make the lower registers more prominent but, more importantly, also more muddy, so the result is an overall less clear sound.

E
OP Offline
E
I suppose that’s another interesting thing to try, up until now the brilliance setting on my CA48 has been default, I’ll try to mess with it a little bit to see how it goes.

Also, as I mentioned on the above post, I’ll try to compare the Samson SR850 with the Philips, and see which ones are better. I’ll keep both, though, cause the SR850 only cost me less than $30, even they are a complete bust, I could still live with it.

Just another little thing - I see that the CA48 has a "Brilliance" setting. If the Philips lack bass, try reducing brilliance. (and then perhaps also turn the volume up slightly).
From what ECBetancor is saying, it appears that the bass-light Philips might suit the CA48, but if you still think there isn't enough, maybe the Brilliance setting will help. It'd be better if it had a separate adjustment for bass, of course. You could always add an external equaliser.

Greg

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Try some inexpensive headphones to be sure there is not a defect in the headphone output stage.

Setting the volume to near max is not ideal. If the headphone output stage clips, it might damage your headphones. However, clipping may only be a transient phenomenon, such as when you strike a fortissimo high note, so you may not notice it generally.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I'm still of the opinion that even if the volume has to be set to 100%, and it's loud enough, you're sweet. Yes, in the event you hear distortion, reduce the volume, and if that's then not loud enough, get an amp, or different headphones.

A headphone amp can be overloaded even if the volume is not at or near maximum, with the "right" headphones.

When trying new headphones, always set the volume to zero when you plug them in, and then gradually turn the volume up. (common sense)

Greg.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Thinking about this further, IMHO, if a DP's headphone output ever clipped NOT due to excessive current draw from the headphones, but from the internal signal level being too much for the headphone amp to handle (causing the output to clip), I'd consider that a design defect.

My P-515 has this kind of defect, with Bluetooth. If I feed it a 100% level signal using Bluetooth, it clips, regardless of the headphone output volume. It's clipping internally. Solution: I set my Bluetooth device's volume a bit under 100%.

Greg.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Sorry me again laugh
Going by the specs, I predict that those Samsons will be 3dB quieter than the Phillips. (which is "a little bit" quieter).

Also, if the Philips were able to get loud on the smartphone, I think they're working fine.

This headphone nut really, REALLY likes those Philips SHP9500 phones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aipXii-qWiQ

Greg

Last edited by sullivang; 07/08/20 11:49 PM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Thinking about this further, IMHO, if a DP's headphone output ever clipped NOT due to excessive current draw from the headphones, but from the internal signal level being too much for the headphone amp to handle (causing the output to clip), I'd consider that a design defect.

My P-515 has this kind of defect, with Bluetooth. If I feed it a 100% level signal using Bluetooth, it clips, regardless of the headphone output volume. It's clipping internally. Solution: I set my Bluetooth device's volume a bit under 100%.

Greg.

There are amplifiers that have limiters or soft clipping circuits (for instance, some NAD consumer stereo amps have soft clipping filters) but I would be very surprised if the headphone op-amp chips in typical DP's have these features. It usually is a combination of audio content and amplifier gain that results in clipping.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Kawai have full control over the signal that is fed to the headphone output. Again - I would find it very unusual for them to allow that signal to ever be high enough in amplitude to cause voltage related clipping - even with the volume at 100%. I also think that if it does have an output impedance of 50 to 100 ohms, the chances of current overload are virtually nil.

Can clipped audio *content* cause damage to headphones? If so, we could be in trouble, because I've read that clipping is fairly common in modern music. (but I've never heard any)

Re my Bluetooth clipping issue on the P-515 - it's definitely an outlier. Every other device I've tried allows my Bluetooth level to be at 100%.

Greg

Last edited by sullivang; 07/09/20 01:49 AM.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Note that the SHP9500 has a maximum power of 200mW, which equates to 2.5V RMS. From everything I've seen here, the CA48 is not getting anywhere *near* that level. Even if clipping were to occur, in order for damage to occur, it has to have enough energy to do so.

Greg

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Kawai have full control over the signal that is fed to the headphone output.
I'm not familiar with this keyboard but many DP's have audio inputs that allow other signals to be played through the headphones.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Note that the SHP9500 has a maximum power of 200mW, which equates to 2.5V RMS. From everything I've seen here, the CA48 is not getting anywhere *near* that level. Even if clipping were to occur, in order for damage to occur, it has to have enough energy to do so.

Greg
Flattening of a waveform can introduce high frequency terms to the waveform. This can damage a tweeter in a conventional speaker, but the headphones may have a very wide frequency response range.

In any case, the first order of business should be to determine if the problem is that there is a defect in the piano or that the headphones are just inefficient.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Fair point - I agree that it may not be always possible to prevent clipping somewhere in the chain, but even in that example, it would still be simple to limit the signal level before it gets all the way to the output, and it was my understanding that the damage occurs due to the actual output clipping. (if not, simple clipped digital audio could cause damage, too - can it?)

Just btw, this is the first time I've ever seen mention of clipping damaging headphones. I've only ever seen it mentioned for loudspeakers. IF (and I'm not sure about this) the damage occurs simply due to excessive energy going to the (loudspeaker) tweeter - i.e - exceeding the rated power of the tweeter, then for headphones, being a single "entity", with a single power rating, can't we now state with high certainty that the CA48 can't damage the SHP9500? (playing solo piano at least - not going crazy with audio inputs etc etc, which we haven't tested)
I know we can't guarantee it, but the volume is nearly at 100%, and it's not crazy loud. (2.5V RMS would be extremely loud)

Greg

Last edited by sullivang; 07/09/20 02:58 AM.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
If this page is correct, then it's very simple - clipping causes more high frequency energy to be present in the signal, which may then overload the tweeter.
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/audio/clipping/page1.html
(and yes, in theory, this does mean that clipped digital content could cause damage)

Again - we have the power rating spec for the SHP9500, which allows a very loud sound level - I calculate 124dB. I don't think the CA48 is coming close to that, so even if it did clip, I don't think any damage would occur.

Greg

Last edited by sullivang; 07/09/20 03:31 AM.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
In any case, the first order of business should be to determine if the problem is that there is a defect in the piano or that the headphones are just inefficient.

Forgot to reply to this. So far, I see no evidence of a defect in the piano, or that the headphones are inefficient. If the headphones were inefficient, they would not go loud enough with the smartphone. I saw no complaint of this - they were tried with the phone.

At the moment, I'm of the opinion that the CA48 has a rather low signal level (like a smartphone), but unfortunately, has a somewhat high output impedance as well. And let's remember - a sufficient volume level *can* be obtained! This idea that the volume control should not be near 100% has to be abolished ASAP.

Greg

N
N
This idea that the volume control should not be near 100% has to be abolished ASAP.

As a recovering audiophile I don't see the underlying electronic basis for this claim. Pianos are capable of a huge dynamic range, and their peak sound pressure is far higher than the average sound pressure during a given piece of music. Unless an amp is purposely limited in its maximum input voltage--say by ensuring that 100% on the volume control is nowhere near driving the amp to its maximum rated output--it is capable of clipping. But amps running near their rated output also can distort in a more pleasing way than clipping from 'running out of gas' when hit by peaks--the dynamic range of what you hear then is reduced.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
That's exactly what I think an instrument like this - a home DP, would do, as I said earlier - prevent the signal level (and gain setting) of the headphone amp from clipping, at least under most normal usage situations.

They allow the volume control to go to 100% because that's as much as it can safely go to.

And again, even if I'm wrong about that, given that the OP is not getting extremely loud levels out of the SHP9500 with the volume near 100%, and given that the SHP9500 is *capable* of producing extremely loud levels (124dB), that means that the CA48 is unlikely to have the capability of damaging the SHP9500.

So, if I'm wrong, and the CA48 can, in fact, clip under normal circumstances, the user simply has to reduce the volume until the clipping goes away, and decide whether that lower volume is sufficient or not.

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 07/09/20 11:13 AM.
N
N
And again, even if I'm wrong about that, given that the OP is not getting extremely loud levels out of the SHP9500 with the volume near 100%, and given that the SHP9500 is *capable* of producing extremely loud levels (124dB), that means that the CA48 is unlikely to have the capability of damaging the SHP9500.

Agreed. I have never come across a DP internal headphone amp that appeared to have the potential to harm any but perhaps sensitive in-ear phones. In contrast, my most-used external headphone amp can put out over 3 W per channel at 30 ohms and 320 mW at 300 ohms. It could fry a lot of headphones even without clipping...

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
3W - wow! smile Proper respect laugh

Just btw, I'm reminded of my Kurzweil PX1000. (going back a bit)
It would go to extreme lengths to avoid digital clipping, by restricting the volumes of notes, as they are played - it applied some type of dynamic range compression, or modified the envelopes. No way in the world were they going to let it clip, but the sound was altered quite drastically.

Greg

Last edited by sullivang; 07/09/20 11:37 AM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission