2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
57 members (Abdol, dima5222, cjlin, computerpro3, dipss, AWilley, Carey, beeboss, Beowulf, 14 invisible), 469 guests, and 378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Choosing a digital piano - advice please!
#3000599 07/09/20 10:35 AM
E
elialf Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I am drowning in research and would appreciate some recommendations... I would like to keep budget around £2500 but am flexible for the right purchase. I have heard really good things about the soundboard on the Kawai CA99 (and realise this is over budget but am open to this). I am also quite houseproud so aesthetics will weigh in here too. I definitely don't want a stage piano and stand.

For context:
I played for about 15 years. I achieved a fair standard (ABRSM Grd8) and played for pleasure for a few years subsequently. I stopped playing when I lost access to a piano 9 years ago so am really out of practice. I want to play again and would need a digital piano for various practical reasons.
I have never played a digital piano before so want something that would offer as similar as possible an experience to an acoustic. Sound, of course, but also the key weighting, frame vibrations, pedalling etc. I grew up playing Bluthner and Yamaha uprights and (when I was lucky) a Schimmel grand.

Re: Choosing a digital piano - advice please!
elialf #3000614 07/09/20 11:09 AM
P
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
P
You have come to the right place, elialf. One of our expert advisors will be with you in a moment. We appreciate your business and look forward to making you spend lots of money......I mean, we look forward to serving you.

In the meantime, since you’re ‘flexible’ on budget, might I recommend a nice and shiny N3X? No, it does not come with a short stick, but it is the only digital worthy of your time. Anything below that will damage your technique permanently!

If you’re not in a hurry, might I also suggest the forthcoming NV-20? This piano will take your technique to the next level. It will include, among other things, a solid spruce soundboard, a shlong stick (both short and long), and on top of that, a nice filling of Neotex!

Please stand by for further assistance in your pursuit of total piano happiness. It’s what we do best ‘round here!

elialf #3000649 07/09/20 12:40 PM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
The Kawai CA series and the Roland LX series might suit. Although the GP series from Casio might too. Personally I would look at the hybrids from those Kawai and Yamaha, NV5/10 and NU1X/N1X although this may blow your short term budget. Despite the difficulties, go to a store or stores and play them first.

elialf #3000675 07/09/20 01:39 PM
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Personally I would look at the hybrids from those Kawai and Yamaha, NV5/10 and NU1X/N1X although this may blow your short term budget. Despite the difficulties, go to a store or stores and play them first.

If hybrids are really out of the budget, it may be a bad idea to try them... it is difficult to appreciate a “normal” DP after having tried an hybrid.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
elialf #3000703 07/09/20 03:26 PM
E
EPW Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
I still would go try out the hybrids as the OP knows how to play the piano. Then you can make a informed discussion if you want to or can spend the extra money. At least go try a Yamaha NU1X model.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
elialf #3000927 07/10/20 03:52 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by elialf
I am drowning in research and would appreciate some recommendations... I would like to keep budget around £2500 but am flexible for the right purchase. I have heard really good things about the soundboard on the Kawai CA99 (and realise this is over budget but am open to this). I am also quite houseproud so aesthetics will weigh in here too. I definitely don't want a stage piano and stand.

For context:
I played for about 15 years. I achieved a fair standard (ABRSM Grd8) and played for pleasure for a few years subsequently. I stopped playing when I lost access to a piano 9 years ago so am really out of practice. I want to play again and would need a digital piano for various practical reasons.
I have never played a digital piano before so want something that would offer as similar as possible an experience to an acoustic. Sound, of course, but also the key weighting, frame vibrations, pedalling etc. I grew up playing Bluthner and Yamaha uprights and (when I was lucky) a Schimmel grand.

Hybrids with full action:
Kawai NV10 (grand action) or Kawai NV5 (upright action)
Yamaha Avant Grand N1X, N3X (older vs. N1, N2, N3)

Hybrid with partial full action
Casio GP510 (older vs. GP500)

Top tier totally digital
Yamaha CLP685
Kawai CA99
Roland LX708

Previous top tier
Yamaha CLP585
Kawai CA98, CA97, CS11
Roland LX17

My feeling for you is that you are asking to keep the budget low but would like a Ferrari.
Check out the price (used and new) of all these models, then test them.
When you have re-evaluated your experience versus budget concerns, the choice will be clearer.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
elialf #3000929 07/10/20 04:16 AM
P
P
It’s much easier to enjoy the move from digital to acoustic, but moving from acoustic to digital is a game of how much you’re willing to compromise or tolerate. With your 15 years of experience on acoustics, you will need to test some models out as your body will immediately inform you. The action, the sound, the feel of the pedals - you will know immediately if you like it or not. It’s a highly personal thing so don’t get too influenced by your research.

elialf #3000977 07/10/20 07:13 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Good point, polarbears. Research is for building a list of potential pianos. It will not help you choose.

To choose a piano you should leave the research behind ... and try lots of pianos.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CA-79 or CA-78
by karelh - 08/04/20 06:40 AM
Schubert Impromptu op.90 no.3 editions
by kaspere - 08/04/20 04:43 AM
Oscar Peterson - Keeping the Groove Alive
by Simon_b - 08/04/20 04:26 AM
Hey need help to wire digital piano. Same line signal
by makentoxpiano - 08/04/20 03:23 AM
Kawai USB to device audio recording
by Jonesy038 - 08/04/20 02:24 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,701
Posts2,988,093
Members98,012
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission