2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3000422 07/08/20 09:51 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
AKA buying a piano sight unseen crazy

So my Petrof was finally loaded up for shipment yesterday in So Cal. It will be put in storage for a few weeks with other pianos, then transported to Portland around the beginning of August. Below are some pics that the seller was kind enough to take for me. He also took some video I'll post later, for those fascinated (like me) with watching a piano being moved.

I'm excited for the piano to arrive, but it's a bit bittersweet as this means I only have a few weeks left to play my beloved little Kawai. Luckily it's only moving a few blocks down the street to my friend's house and yes, I think I will be one of those weird people that wants to "visit" his old piano every now and then. But you guys at PW feel me, right?

As for buying a piano sight unseen, I normally wouldn't do that. After joining PW, I should know even better as I've learned here that buying a piano without trying it is one of the 7 deadly sins. However, everything I have learned on PW (and tested on my faithful GL10) has taught me how much a piano's touch and sound can be altered. That has given me the confidence to buy this piano, knowing that I should be able to tweak things to my liking if they are not that way already. But enough of my rambling, here are some pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
D
D
Since your Kawai still has a place in your heart, might suggest to sample 12-24 notes as per the procedure on Pianobook.co.uk so you can play it as a virtual instrument when it leaves?

I wish I had done this with my Kawai before I sold it earlier last year, but it took until the lockdown for me to learn how to do it. I realize that you may not have decent condenser mics or an audio interface, but there are definitely things you can try with a smartphone or camcorder. If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you a primer.

Congrats on the Petrof - I considered that model too, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

-Dore

1928 Mason & Hamlin Model A
Download it along with my other free libraries (Fazioli F308, Yamaha S6, Steinway B, etc) HERE
Buy me a coffee if you like it.
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Emery
Your piano looks beautiful! .It really is quite a large serious grand.I think you said it was a model 3 unless I am mistaken.The one I nearly bought was, I thought a model 4.Perhaps I am mistaken?
I cannot remember, but surely it was not larger than your piano?
As for visiting your GL10 of course we understand. I understand more than you can realise....
Congratulations, I think you are going to love this instrument more than you realise.
Best wishes LB

Last edited by Lady Bird; 07/08/20 10:27 PM. Reason: spelling
D
D
Ha ha, I missed that part about it moving the Kawai to your friend's house. Offer still stands anyway....

1928 Mason & Hamlin Model A
Download it along with my other free libraries (Fazioli F308, Yamaha S6, Steinway B, etc) HERE
Buy me a coffee if you like it.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Dore. That is a very interesting idea. If I can't figure it out, I'll let you know.

Ladybird, the Petrof grand sizes are inversely proportional to their number size. So a model 3 is bigger than a model 4, a model 2 is bigger than a model 3, etc.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Great pics! Nice looking piano, Emery!

I know you are excited and can't wait! smile

Congratulations again!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Emery Wang
Thanks Dore. That is a very interesting idea. If I can't figure it out, I'll let you know.

Ladybird, the Petrof grand sizes are inversely proportional to their number size. So a model 3 is bigger than a model 4, a model 2 is bigger than a model 3, etc.
OK I feel better about that, I was really confused !
What I remember was the model 4 in Roman numbers somewhere inside the piano.It had a truly
beautiful tone and when the action was pulled we saw it was Renner like yours.It was really responsive.The key resistance neither too light nor too much.If I was looking for a grand I would
really have bought it.

Congratulations, It looks like new from the photos! Was the seller the original owner? - I played a III in 2002 and loved it.

Last edited by blueviewlaguna.; 07/08/20 11:01 PM.

2021 August Förster 215
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks everyone. Yes Blueviewlaguna, seller is original owner. You'll hear in the moving video below that he's had it for 20 years (it's a 1999), and it hadn't been moved until now. You also learn in the video that a Petrof grand is a good place to hide under in the event of an earthquake thumb

I think the movers did a good job. I wish I could have bought them a beer.

Last edited by Emery Wang; 07/08/20 11:58 PM.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Congratulations! It's lovely. Post a recording soon.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Congratulations on your Petrof III!

A huge upgrade from your current piano.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Wow, it's beautiful.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Yes it is beautiful! Congratulations.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Congrats Emery - That’s a Pretty Piano!!

I enjoyed the Video, too

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alright guys, photos and video are finally up. Below are some shots of the piano, pics of some regulation/tweaking I've been doing, and finally, a recording. Thanks to everything I learned here at Pianoworld and a little luck, this site unseen purchase turned out well. Thanks to everyone who posts here, your insights and expertise have been invaluable.

Now, on to the photos:

[Linked Image]
Piano moving in the age of Covid.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The piano sounded nice to begin with but the action was a little heavy, the dynamic range was narrow, and some of the notes sounded a little metallic. I don't know if the action had ever been regulated, so time to pull it and see what's going on.

[Linked Image]
Turns out the hammer line was low by several millimeters. Moving it back up to about 45mm lightened things up quite a bit.

[Linked Image]
Next easy fix was to lubricate the keypins. They were in pretty good shape, so I only needed to apply teflon powder to the key bushings. However, someone here on PW mentioned that tungsten disulfide powder (WS2) was more slippery, so I applied it to the key pins. Not sure there is any appreciable difference compared to teflon powder, and this stuff is black and pretty messy. I'll probably stick with teflon in the future.

[Linked Image]
Next easy fix is replacing the capstans with WNG aluminum ones, which are each about 3g lighter than their brass counterparts.

[Linked Image]
Final easy fix to reduce touchweight is to replace the balance rail punching with cut punchings. On a Petrof, however, this doesn't make much difference because there is already a sharp ledge at the front of the balance rail that essentially achieves the same effect with a normal punching.

[Linked Image]
The letoff and drop were pretty wide. Fixing those really helped the dynamics. Turns out a 14 gauge wire is almost exactly 1/16", and an 8 gauge is about 1/8". Yes, you can check your letoff and drop with supplies from Home Depot. Now the touch is lighter, and I have a better dynamic range. I was also able to get rid of the metallic edge on some of the notes by spraying the hammers with alcohol and fabric softener. I posted a video about it in the tech forum if you're interested.

So, that's the story so far. Here is a video I made today so you can hear how she sounds. Sorry about the sound of running feet halfway through the video, my son was running downstairs to ask for help with his Minecraft game. These are the hazards of recording at home with young kids crazy

I really like my Petrof, and as you can see in the video, have become a big enough fanboy to have a Petrof shirt! If you're have any questions about the piano, feel free to ask. Now it's time to go practice!

Last edited by Emery Wang; 11/08/20 09:45 PM.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A couple more photos, couldn't fit them into the prior post for some reason, maybe there is a photo limit.

[Linked Image]
I noticed there seemed to be a cover or something missing that left a fallboard hinge exposed. So I sent an email to Petrof from their website, asking if they still had this part available. Surprisingly, I got an email back from someone at the factory. He said that since this model had been discontinued for some time, he wasn't sure, but he'd look for me. Turns out he found some covers in a back warehouse, and said he'd put them in the mail to me free of charge. That's great customer service!

[Linked Image]
Yay, letter from the Petrof factory! How cool is that? Turns out the covers are these round black felt things. He sent two, so now I have an extra.

[Linked Image]
There are over 200 tuning pins on a piano, and nothing lets you enjoy each one individually like shining them up with metal polish. Make sure you have something to binge watch on Netflix.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Very nice, enjoy the piano.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
Congratulations on your new-to-you Petrof III grand piano, Emery! It is a beauty!

The pics were great, and I watched your YT vid on the alcohol and fabric softener mix voicing procedure. I could not tell a difference between the before and after recordings, but it may just be the recordings, or my defective hearing.

I admire you for your willingness and courage to tune and service your own pianos. Although it has subsided a bit recently, over the years here on PW, anyone who attempts any sort of DIY piano service or repair was subject to scorn and ridicule by some. You're a brave man, Emery! smile

Also, you play very well. I don't think I've ever heard you play, and I was surprised at how well you play.

I wish you many years of enjoyment with your Petrof III grand piano, my friend! thumb

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Rick! I think you blazed the trail for us piano DIYers. The techs here have been very gracious and have taught me a lot. I guess I'm just too interested in pianos to not tinker with them!

C
C
Wow. That is a beauty and it sounds gorgeous!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission