2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
58 members (clothearednincompo, Chrisgilx, daoc2009, Beowulf, anotherscott, 14 invisible), 380 guests, and 445 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rhythm Exercises with Metronome
#3000383 07/08/20 06:55 PM
C
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
C
This series of rhythm exercises might be useful for people who are finding it hard to keep an even beat, and _especially_ useful for people who are finding it hard to keep (or count) "syncopated" rhythms, with strong notes off the metronome beats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Ei6x1ofCk

They are _basic_ exercises. All you need is a metronome (he uses an online metronome, I didn't know there was one) and a pair of hands for clapping. The presenter is a didgeridoo player, but what he teaches is applicable to all music.

If someone has never used a metronome, and would like to hear how it could be useful, it's a good video to start with.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Rhythm Exercises with Metronome
Charles Cohen #3000390 07/08/20 07:33 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
This series of rhythm exercises might be useful for people who are finding it hard to keep an even beat, and _especially_ useful for people who are finding it hard to keep (or count) "syncopated" rhythms, with strong notes off the metronome beats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Ei6x1ofCk

They are _basic_ exercises. All you need is a metronome (he uses an online metronome, I didn't know there was one) and a pair of hands for clapping. The presenter is a didgeridoo player, but what he teaches is applicable to all music.

If someone has never used a metronome, and would like to hear how it could be useful, it's a good video to start with.

You may wish to "test" your link to be sure it works.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Mackie MIX 5 Compact Mixer.
Charles Cohen #3000412 07/08/20 09:12 PM
N
N
Charles, I'd be interested to see that video.

Charles Cohen #3000424 07/08/20 09:59 PM
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Charles, we want to see the video! The link just sings Happy Birthday to us . . .

Charles Cohen #3000428 07/08/20 10:05 PM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
A cappella singing is punishment and I would rather be doing exercises

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Charles Cohen #3000465 07/09/20 01:31 AM
M
M
I don't know which video was meant to be linked.
Good timekeeping is a struggle for me, as a late starter to playing music. After some scratching around, I'm pretty sure that the solution is to grow a bit of brain. To do that means to do psycho-motor exercises every day. Always.
I've no idea which exercises are best. But I
- play exercises to the metronome, varying the time feel and speed, often counting out loud
- tap my hands variously as in https://youtu.be/OIfp4FvjzUQ (The weird thing is just how right handed I am!)
- sometimes count as I walk, as per https://youtu.be/ayE74dXKgZ0

I'd welcome any other exercises, but I'm pretty sure the answer is in doing lots for a long time, more than one specific trick.

Charles Cohen #3000487 07/09/20 03:52 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Rhythmic clarinet mafia? ))
Leave these methods alone with counting and training only the right leg, 21st century it's time to throw in the trash can of history! Poor Eurocentric rhythm teachers - they think that they have all the truth ...

Pronounce the rhythm with the metronome!

We all possess rhythmic breathing, tongue and lips much better than legs, arms and fingers.

Funk pattern of Bob Mintzer from video :

https://yadi.sk/d/Ydm1rB2p7KCQfQ

Charles Cohen #3000490 07/09/20 04:24 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Animisha #3000497 07/09/20 05:32 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by Animisha
Yeah, great! not so different to my links above.

Charles Cohen #3000684 07/09/20 02:13 PM
C
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
C
Oops !!!!!!! I apologize.

Try this link (for the video I saw):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIzLXr7xecY

And this one (which starts with the metronome on 2 and 4, and continues with instructions for "how to speed up your playing, and stay in time"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwipBQl-Vds

Enjoy!

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
Nahum #3000705 07/09/20 03:38 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Nahum
Rhythmic clarinet mafia? ))
Certainly!
Originally Posted by Nahum
Leave these methods alone with counting and training only right leg, 21st century it's time to throw in the trash can of history! ...
Well, contemporary research...
Originally Posted by Oliver sacks - ‘Musicophilia’
Keeping time, physically and mentally, depends, as Chen and her colleagues have found, on interactions between the auditory and the dorsal premotor cortex—and it is only in the human brain that a functional connection between these two cortical areas exists. Crucially, these sensory and motor activations are precisely integrated with each other.

Charles Cohen #3000749 07/09/20 04:50 PM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by mizmar
Oliver sacks - ‘Musicophilia’
Keeping time, physically and mentally, depends, as Chen and her colleagues have found, on interactions between the auditory and the dorsal premotor cortex—and it is only in the human brain that a functional connection between these two cortical areas exists. Crucially, these sensory and motor activations are precisely integrated with each other.
Researchers know very well the names of different areas of the brain and something about their interaction; but practically could not help to my student, suffering from dyscalculia, establish the rhythm of playing the piano. I had to independently research where her rhythm lies, because her ear inhibits the perception of rhythm . It turned out two areas: walking, quite rhythmic, as well as colloquial speech; it’s just that brain dysfunction does not allow the rhythm to be carried out on the instrument using hearing. In her case, in order to go around the problem, for the first time I began to use melodica to pronounce the rhythmic side, which causes the musical sounds, and also in combination with walking - melodica provides this opportunity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr8-AL9XOOY

Today there is a device that can help her: a pulsating metronome. At that time did not exist.

Last edited by Nahum; 07/09/20 04:52 PM.
Charles Cohen #3000931 07/10/20 04:29 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
It should be recognized that the English language in sounding is most suitable for creating a rhythmic pulse, in particular its African-American version of the pronunciation (less British):

https://yadi.sk/d/Xf821T_VqdEk7A

However, even the most rhythmic English stands far behind the Carnatic konnakol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQmMTNnRX6k

It is necessary to distinguish between the language of verbal counting and the language of rhythm; Hindus, mostly speaking English, also understand this difference :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXpaCXADWH8 - from 0:41

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7HHIGxcI00 - from 8:50 (my colleague in the past)

This is precisely the most painful point in the rhythmic education of young (and not so) musicians, which comes from a rusty Eurocentric tradition.

pwl #3001871 07/12/20 03:15 PM
M
Online Content
M
Originally Posted by pwl
Charles, we want to see the video! The link just sings Happy Birthday to us . . .

The link is broken so don't have any idea what it's suppose to be. I will say the common problems I've seen over the years. Start without your instrument and clap to the metronome. Most people think if they hear the metronome they are in time wrong. If you hear the metronome you are out of time practice clapping with the metronome and making the click of the metronome disappear then you are in time.

When just getting into reading and or more syncopated rhythms start without the instrument and clap the rhythms till you can clap them without any problems, then time to get on your instrument and try to play them. Rhythms are like learning to read words in a book you build up a vocabulary of words you just know instantly without thinking. Reading rhythms is the same thing over time you build up a vocabulary of rhythmic patterns/word you just instantly know the sound of. That way you just see a rhythm you know it so you just hang pitches on the notes. Learning music is very much like a little kid learning to talk you are memorizing sounds first then learning letters, words, and how to assemble into sentences. Music is the same be it by ear or playing the ink.

MrShed #3002034 07/13/20 03:42 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by MrShed
[quote=pwl]

I will say the common problems I've seen over the years. Start without your instrument and clap to the metronome.

This is not enough at all! You were once in military service, and sang marching songs?It requires rhythmic coordination between walking, breathing and pronunciation.
Thus, the total work on the rhythm with a metronome without tools (in this particular order): Thus, the full work on the rhythm with metronome without an instrument (in this order): walking + pronunciation tut-dat-tut-dat + claps, which are coordinated with pronunciation , not with the metronome ; at least in the first stage.

Rhythms are like learning to read words in a book you build up a vocabulary of words you just know instantly without thinking. Reading rhythms is the same thing over time you build up a vocabulary of rhythmic patterns/word you just instantly know the sound of.
Absolutely right!!! Hence the natural conclusion: the combination of a rhythmic pattern with a vocabulary.

[Linked Image]

( taken from Roni Holan’s book “Rhythm for All” )

The original is also designed for claps, which, however, does not take into account the duration factor.

Last edited by Nahum; 07/13/20 03:51 AM.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
rhythm vs beautiful sound/overall effect.
by daoc2009 - 08/07/20 01:08 PM
Sforzandi in Beethoven
by samwitdangol - 08/07/20 11:27 AM
Production Voices - sfz libs are on sale
by VladK - 08/07/20 10:14 AM
Top end digital pianos??
by Chrisgilx - 08/07/20 10:00 AM
Kawai ES110 pedal options
by Jonesy038 - 08/07/20 06:38 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,778
Posts2,989,119
Members98,052
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission