2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
57 members (CyberGene, achoo42, clothearednincompo, DaKillaGuineaPig, Almaviva, Blague, anotherscott, 14 invisible), 485 guests, and 459 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
What to expect after moving a piano
#3000342 07/08/20 04:49 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I have looked all over trying to find specifics about how far out of tune a piano might go after a move but have not really found what I’m looking for. Our Baldwinesque 1957 Winter was only about 2 or 3 cents flat when I bought it. It has been in our house for about a week now and I’ve kept the humidity between 45-50%. How much change in pitch should I expect over the next couple of weeks before the tuner comes? Because of the whole debacle over the brand and worries about the honesty of the sellers who may or may not have known they were selling an incorrectly labeled piano I’m now nervous about everything and have been checking the pitch of each key daily with a tuning app. There has been some change in the middle octaves and more at the extreme ends. Is this normal? I’ve found quite a few dealer websites which say that a local move should hardly effect tuning at all. 🤔

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: What to expect after moving a piano
Gabrielsyme #3000355 07/08/20 05:17 PM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member

5000 Post Club Member
Part of the equation is that it will be adjusting from the environment it was in to your home’s environment. Moving it may knock it out of tune. Or not. There is no real definitive answer regarding how much, especially since we don’t know the environment it came out of. If it was in tune where you looked at it, and the guy you had inspect it didn’t notice any tuning issues, it should be fine. It should probably stabilize in your home within a month, more or less depending on how close or different the two environments were. Don’t be worried about it drifting a few cents out of tune. It will even drift out of tune after it’s tuned. That’s the nature of the beast. What you don’t want to see is individual notes going dramatically out of tune, or the unisons going really bad (multiple pitches from one key), because that might indicate issues with the pin block, but your inspector should have noted issues like that.

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see
~Mark Twain
Gabrielsyme #3000358 07/08/20 05:19 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Whatever it is or will be I don't think there's anything you can do except keep the room's humidity stable which you're already doing.

Gabrielsyme #3000372 07/08/20 06:17 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Remind us how long it's been in your house?

How stable is the humidity level in the room where the piano is? Do you have a hygrometer?

How stable was the humidity where the piano was?

How often did the previous owners have it tuned?

All of the above can influence the tuning, and it may take a few tunings in your home to get the piano to stabilize.

I bought a 20 y/o Yamaha C2 from someone who hadn't been good about keeping it tuned regularly. And I think it was probably a bit more humid in general in the original owner's house than in my piano room. So when I first got it (last summer) I think I had it tuned three times in the space of maybe three-four months (and one of those tunings included regulation and voicing).

I think piano was also slowly "drying out" during that time. Now, because of covid I haven't had it tuned again, although I really want to. But I think it sounds pretty good... that's not really relevant for your piano, but more what I wanted to say was, it takes awhile for the piano to settle in, so try to not make yourself crazy worrying about it.

When is your tuner coming? Maybe another week from now?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gabrielsyme #3000377 07/08/20 06:40 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Apart from my Sauter I have a 1984 Kawai upright which I bought last August 2019. I noticed it was
slightly out of tune a month after I bought it. So it needed the tuning a month later in September.
I hoped it would hold its tuning as well as the Sauter , but no it really needed its tuning which it had
the other day.
Have you told the seller that your piano is actually a Winter with a Baldwin label ? Just curious.
Your piano seems to be behaving "correctly" according to your description.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 07/08/20 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Gabrielsyme #3000398 07/08/20 08:04 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Interesting. So people often talk about a piano “stabilizing” or “adjusting” after a move but that can mean a big change or no change at all? I have a hygrometer next to the piano and have been keeping a close eye on the humidity here. If I had to guess I would say the house it came from was likely less humid and more stable because It had forced air heat/central air conditioning. Our house has hot water heat which makes central air more difficult to install so we have a large window unit (not in the same room with the piano) which runs regularly. The owners mentioned having it tuned periodically but not on any regular schedule. I think it had been at least a couple of years since it was last tuned, but as I said, it was not badly out of tune and the technician felt it was fine. Glad to know you think it’s behaving correctly Lady Bird!

The tuner is coming on the 17th. I didn’t want to wait too long because we’re keen to get a second opinion on condition and see what he thinks can be done with regulation.

Last edited by Gabrielsyme; 07/08/20 08:06 PM.
Gabrielsyme #3000621 07/09/20 11:40 AM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
New pianos typically should be tuned about a month after delivery and then 3 to 4 times more in the first year or two. Used pianos depend on humidity control, general overall condition, and environment considerations (how and where is heating cooling vents, distance from direct sunlight) should stabilize a bit quicker than a new piano. The best advisor for this would be your piano technician.

Pianos can be very individual creatures.

Last edited by j&j; 07/09/20 11:46 AM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I save far better than I play!
[Linked Image]
Gabrielsyme #3000766 07/09/20 05:22 PM

5000 Post Club Member

5000 Post Club Member
Just enjoy it unless something overtly "wrong" surfaces. No need to stress about it. smile

By the 17th it will probably have gone a long way towards settling in.
Let us know what your technician says! thumb

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see
~Mark Twain
Gabrielsyme #3000814 07/09/20 07:46 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
If there has been a change in humidity from the piano's old environment to the new one, which is highly likely, then there will be some drift in pitch as the piano settles. Nothing to worry about. It is good that you are keeping the room humidity within a 5% range. I do the same; on the basis of my experience I would expect that once your piano has settled, it should hold its tuning admirably.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
W. Hoffmann (Langlau)
by Lijpe_Tjap - 08/07/20 02:30 PM
rhythm vs beautiful sound/overall effect.
by daoc2009 - 08/07/20 01:08 PM
Sforzandi in Beethoven
by samwitdangol - 08/07/20 11:27 AM
Production Voices - sfz libs are on sale
by VladK - 08/07/20 10:14 AM
Top end digital pianos??
by Chrisgilx - 08/07/20 10:00 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,779
Posts2,989,143
Members98,052
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission