2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Keybender
I don't find the Steingräber (here, have some free umlauts dear anglo saxon friends: ääääääääääääääääää ööööööööööööööö :p ) action noticeable better / faster / whatever than other actions to be honest. Yes, it is excellent, but so is the Bechstein, Bösendorfer and Steinway action. All good piano makers have made some tweaks to a "standard upright action", whatever that is, to make it better.

Maybe with a direct comparison you could find a clear winner... maybe. The one that beats them all if you ask me is the one on the Feurich 123 which is a dream to play.
So now Keybender do you really have the abilities to say which has the fastest repetition action ?You may need to demonstrate.
When it comes to an ultimate piano it is still a personal choice.These are very high level uprights.
Steingraeber is not everyone's choice that is for sure.Is there no Bechstein dealer in the US that is not too far away from you lubcubbrate ,in the US ?

Last edited by Lady Bird; 07/07/20 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
[quote=Keybender]Is there no Bechstein dealer in the US that is not too far away from you lubcubbrate ,in the US ?

I went to Their website to find the dealer nearest Me

The closest are 3 in CA, Then 1 in Detroit

Vancouver would be closer. Is Showcase Piano, the dealer You went to in Vancouver, or is there another/better one

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The one that beats them all if you ask me is the one on the Feurich 123 which is a dream to play.

This the Vienna 123? Looks intriguing, I must say.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lucubrate
For fun - I've been reading through past threads, concerning some of the Tier 1 Uprights

Specifically, I'd be interested in opinions regarding the following Pianos:

Bösendorfer 130
Steingraeber 130
Grotrian Concertino
C. Bechstein Concert 8
Sauter 130 Master Class

I'd like to hear personal opinions, from those who own, or have played, any or all of these Pianos. Particularly, if You're able to compare & contrast any of Them. Finally, if You like - Go ahead & rank Them, in Your subjective opinion,... or not

I'm excited to read Your replies - Any & all feedback is appreciated!

~Lucubrate

I have played them ALL. You MUST add the Hamburg Steinway K132 to the list (but NOT the New York model K). It's really wonderful.
They're ALL dream uprights (except the Sauter 130 Master Class, to me it's not so interesting). Every single one is a gem itself.

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
At this level, especially with the scarcity of these uprights, can one make too broad generalization of the small manufacturers? I doubt many of us have had the experience to really know. I tried two underwhelming-to-me Bechstein concert 8 examples In NY. I chalked it up to my inadequacy or variability, as far more qualified people have praised it as one of the very best models. If one is looking to buy, I would think it would be highly dependent on availability. I will agree the NY uprights are not so great, at least in showrooms I’ve visited. Still I wouldn’t criticize anyone’s choice.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Travel now is illegal now because of the virus!

Oh Yeah - That!
Yes it would not be fair to come here surely! We talking about people's lives.Lucubrate I do not mean anything personal against you. We do have a right to protect ourselves and yes we are scared. It is
foolish not to be.
I tried one in Canada and one in Paris.

K
K
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie
The one that beats them all if you ask me is the one on the Feurich 123 which is a dream to play.

This the Vienna 123? Looks intriguing, I must say.

It's good but its strength is clearly the touch. That's not to say it sounds bad or looks shabby. It's still a ~13k piano and you won't find the same level of grandeur in the sound as you would in the other models mentioned in this thread. I wasn't too impressed with the casework. The sliding "door" (nice feature by the way) doesn't feel sturdy and neither does the integrated LED lamp (which is also a great idea). Maybe it's a bit like Ikea... if you know what I mean? Design is great, functionality too but it's not made from the best materials by the best craftsmen. If you have a mostly Ikea living room, it would fit in nicely in satin black.

I'd say it's a great choice if you have a limited budget and limited space but are serious about playing.

Unfortunately I can't say much about the tone - the room it was in was so echoey (full concrete, no carpets, nothing) that I couldn't even determine if I like it. Too bad, I might have just bought it if it sounded like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNE5I6MVKqg (wholeheartedly agree with the opinion presented btw)

Originally Posted by trandinhnamanh
They're ALL dream uprights (except the Sauter 130 Master Class, to me it's not so interesting).

This is a perfect example of what I have pointed out here as "idiosyncrasy" or "subjective taste". Thank God, each one is entitled to a personal preference.

De gustibus non est disputandum...

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Fluxo
They're ALL dream uprights (except the Sauter 130 Master Class, to me it's not so interesting).

This is a perfect example of what I have pointed out here as "idiosyncrasy" or "subjective taste". Thank God, each one is entitled to a personal preference.

True Fluxo
Sometimes trying one piano or even two of the same brand -- the tuning ,placement in the store.
Sometimes the piano is just not for the customer.I have read here people have said that two really good brand German uprights were just too bright for them.These were August Forster and Steingraeber.
So yes many factors come into play. ANY piano is a sample of a brand.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 07/08/20 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Having a subjective taste is almost a gift, I guess

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L

Having a subjective taste is almost a gift, I guess
True
Not every piano is meant for everyone.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
[quote=Keybender]Is there no Bechstein dealer in the US that is not too far away from you lubcubbrate ,in the US ?

I went to Their website to find the dealer nearest Me

The closest are 3 in CA, Then 1 in Detroit

Vancouver would be closer. Is Showcase Piano, the dealer You went to in Vancouver, or is there another/better one

~Lucubrate
Lucbubrate
I cannot encourage 😫 you to come to Vancouver besides I do not want you to get into trouble!
These are crazy times.
I do hope you find your ultimate upright. Another piano to try would be the Seiler SE 130 model.
These models are totally made in the Seiler factory in Germany and also have a special repetition
action.

D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Is there an immediate plan to buy, just wondering?

L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Lucbubrate
I cannot encourage 😫 you to come to Vancouver besides I do not want you to get into trouble!
These are crazy times.

Hey - No argument here!

I do hope you find your ultimate upright.

I’m just trying to learn more,... & with the pandemic/shutdown - This seems like the best place to do that. Can’t really go around & casually play pianos (without appointments, etc). I’ve gotten some very good information here. I do like the idea of having a nice upright, & at some point, will probably get one

Another piano to try would be the Seiler SE 130 model.
These models are totally made in the Seiler factory in Germany and also have a special repetition
action.

I’ll take a look at Them - Thanks Lady Bird!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by dhull100
Is there an immediate plan to buy, just wondering?

No - Not at all

But if the right piano/price fell into My lap - I’d definitely consider it

Like I told Lady Bird - I’m just looking to learn more, about these specific uprights, & others, if someone recommends One

With the pandemic/shutdown - I don’t know of a better place to do that,... or a better group of ppl to ask, than here. Do You? Does anyone?

Besides - I like It here!

~Lucubrate

Last edited by Lucubrate; 07/08/20 06:12 PM.

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission