2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,161 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rubiks Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing a cheap digital piano (~£400) and storing this in a new conservatory that's being built.

The roof is going to have a 60% filter in the glass, which supposedly helps regulate the temperature in there, and there is going to be constant circulation via the window vents.

I was wondering if anybody has experience of storing digital pianos in conservatories? Is this going to be an issue for me?

As a side note: I'm currently looking on gear4music at their DP-6 or DP-7 pianos, as these are the cheapest i can find. Does anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm seeing an emphasis on low price for a piano, and storage of the piano.

I'm not seeing anything about how the piano is to be used. If this is for conservatory use shouldn't we expect a better quality piano?

And why does storage seem to be sole purpose of the piano? Low-cost pianos tend to be lightweight. They can be stored easily under a bed. Or stood on end and placed in a closet. For what reason will it be stored in a conservatory?

I don't understand your goal or purpose.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Which of these are we talking about?

Conservatory may refer to:
- Conservatory (greenhouse), a substantial building or room where plants are cultivated, including medicinal ones and including attached residential solariums
- Music school, or a school devoted to other arts such as dance
- Sunroom, a smaller glass enclosure or garden shed attached to a house, also called a conservatory

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservatory)

Is the piano just going to be stored there or does it need to a playable "proper" digital piano?

(Not that I know how bad Gear4Music pianos actually are.)

Humidity could be a problem for electronics and wood parts.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
South (?) facing Conservatory in the uk even with a roof filter is going to get hot in summer, damp or humid in winter. Might be ok as a cheaper instrument is mostly plastic, metal, sand. I would not store or keep a better quality instrument with wooden keys in there. Gear4music own brand is chinese or possibly Medeli. Not the best IMHO and Casio brand might well be better, CDP series.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Capacitors are filled with a liquid/gel. They don't like to be heat cycled between very hot/cold. Most other components will be fine. Of course in general heat cycling plastics will cause it to embrittle.

Low humidity, constant temperature.

R
Rubiks Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the replies. It is a north-east facing conservatory (i.e. a sunroom), which won't get a lot of direct sunlight. However I think the point has been well-made that maybe it's not the best idea, which I'm not surprised about but at least wanted to confirm and get some opinions! It will have to go in the living room or upstairs I think...

The piano will need to be a playable, proper digital upright piano. I would say I'm a self-taught beginner/intermediate player, and am looking to buy something to practice on for my own personal enjoyment, rather than any professional aspirations. I haven't had much experience with gear4music, but they seem to have decent reviews? I'll have a look at some Casio CDP ones thanks smile

Thanks for clearing up the subject of a "conservatory". I thought you were buying a piano for a music school! smile

In the sun room in my (former) home in Florida you could fry eggs. That's not a place to put a piano.

Conversely, clothearednincompo commented above. He's in Norway. I suspect that temperatures in a sun room would not be a problem there.

That's a case of two extremes. Where do you live?

R
Rubiks Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Thanks for clearing up the subject of a "conservatory". I thought you were buying a piano for a music school! smile

In the sun room in my (former) home in Florida you could fry eggs. That's not a place to put a piano.

Conversely, clothearednincompo commented above. He's in Norway. I suspect that temperatures in a sun room would not be a problem there.

That's a case of two extremes. Where do you live?

Sorry, I naiively thought "conservatory" was a universal word, oops! I'm in the north of the UK, so it's not quite as extreme temperatures as Florida or Norway I imagine!

N
N
Sounds like a lovely environment in which to practice piano. My worry would be uv rays bombarding the plastic parts. The keys would yellow, black plastic would fade, & all would age & get brittle. Perhaps you could keep it covered when not in use.

Last edited by No Expectations; 07/08/20 08:08 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, if the roof is isolated, with no more than 60% of humidity all the year, then I don't see problems.

P.S.: if I can ask, why do you want to buy that no-brand super-cheap DP for your conservatory?

R
Rubiks Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by magicpiano
P.S.: if I can ask, why do you want to buy that no-brand super-cheap DP for your conservatory?

It's not specifically FOR the conservatory, it was more a case of finding a place for it, and at the moment the conservatory would be the best place, space-wise.

The reason for the no-brand, super-cheapness is because I don't feel like I need a really expensive one, as it is for casual use and learning only. I have seen the Casio AP270 online for £600, which I might stretch to if the general consensus is dead-set against the DP options.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Rubiks, when you say the North of the UK, does that mean North Scotland. Otherwise if you are further south than that I would recommend a visit to the gear4music showroom in York.

They have a wide range of digitals on display, many you can try out by just turning on, but even those that aren't setup, they will help set them up for you to try out. I've been there a few times and compared to other places with digital pianos in this part of the world they have the largest range to try out and a decent amount of room to try them out in.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
If you buy a dp with the furniture stand, Just saw off the furniture stand by ~3-4 inches and put plastic-caster wheels on, and you can move it in and out of the sun space.

Last edited by jeffcat; 07/08/20 09:17 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rubiks

It's not specifically FOR the conservatory, it was more a case of finding a place for it, and at the moment the conservatory would be the best place, space-wise.

The reason for the no-brand, super-cheapness is because I don't feel like I need a really expensive one, as it is for casual use and learning only. I have seen the Casio AP270 online for £600, which I might stretch to if the general consensus is dead-set against the DP options.
Personally I would suggest you to buy the Casio model. In that price range they are very good products, much better than no-brand ones.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . .
Personally I would suggest you to buy the Casio model. In that price range they are very good products, much better than no-brand ones.

+1.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
J
J
Thanks for the replies. It is a north-east facing conservatory (i.e. a sunroom), which won't get a lot of direct sunlight. However I think the point has been well-made that maybe it's not the best idea, which I'm not surprised about but at least wanted to confirm and get some opinions! It will have to go in the living room or upstairs I think...

The piano will need to be a playable, proper digital upright piano. I would say I'm a self-taught beginner/intermediate player, and am looking to buy something to practice on for my own personal enjoyment, rather than any professional aspirations. I haven't had much experience with gear4music, but they seem to have decent reviews? I'll have a look at some Casio CDP ones thanks smile

An upright piano... for under 500 USD? Good luck finding a good one.

Finally bought the P515
J
J
Originally Posted by joemama42O

An upright piano... for under 500 USD? Good luck finding a good one.
Upright digital*

Finally bought the P515
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Well, if the roof is isolated, with no more than 60% of humidity all the year, then I don't see problems.

The OP is in in the UK. Its always above 60%. OK slight exaggeration, but not much. Today where I am, summer, overcast, rained overnight, it’s 70%+.

This reminds me of cool winter weather in Florida, when the temperatures drop to around 80 F and humidity drops to around 70%.
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
The OP is in in the UK. Its always above 60%. OK slight exaggeration, but not much. Today where I am, summer, overcast, rained overnight, it’s 70%+.

5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
Humidity by itself isn't really a problem. Where I live it's typically over 70-90%. The temperature is typically 5-20 C.

Apparently, pianos here last longer than in most places.

In countries where you need air conditioning, and you have huge humidity swings, the considerations are different.

In the UK, anywhere indoors, should be fine.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission