2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
33 members (ando, Colette2, CyberGene, AZNpiano, giu, Georg Z., clothearednincompo, ChiaraTor, 2 invisible), 400 guests, and 442 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yamaha C2X vs Boston 178 PEII vs Kawai GX3
#3000007 07/07/20 07:15 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hi, new to the forum, looking to buy a grand piano. Have tested out Bostons, Yamahas, and Kawais. I'm in Canada and eventually need to move the piano to either New York or SF in the next few years. I am an advanced player; I've never studied at a conservatory but I played competitively at the national level when younger / with orchestras + symphonies, etc. I finished my Licentiate ~6 years ago which is the equivalent of an undergrad in performance.

Currently have offers, in my current ranking of how much I like the piano itself:1. Boston 178 PEII for $36K CAD pre-GST so $38K all in, or $28K USD 
2. Yamaha C2X for $27K CAD, or C3X for $34K CAD
3. Kawai GX 3 6'2 for $35K CAD, or 5'11 for $30K

I'm currently liking the Boston the best, there's this wonderful mind-body-instrument connection I have with it, but I have no idea what the long-term stability is of the instrument. I'm currently playing the Yamaha U1 which is quite bright and melodic and that I've enjoyed for a long time, but for some reason the Yamahas I played in the store didn't sing. I'm not sure if that's just a question of how the piano is voiced and tuned so I'm hoping to visit friends in the area who own the same model and see how they sound. 

I know that Kawai makes the Boston, and after going in to visit a dealership today with Kawais I was really disappointed with them having seen the general opinion on the forum that they are better for the money. It didn't help that the dealership hadn't tuned them in a while due to COVID - a key got stuck while I was playing and stayed the whole time...

The trade-in for Steinway option is compelling for Boston but I'm trying to not attach too much weight to it due to the 'car dealership problem' - salespeople can either give you a really good cash price, or give you an okay price with full-value for your trade-in, so I'm guessing in the end it'll make max 10K difference.

Thank you SO much for your thoughts. I'd hope this to be a lifetime piano.

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: Yamaha C2X vs Boston 178 PEII vs Kawai GX3
lovelydove #3000010 07/07/20 07:22 PM
D
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
D
I also found the Boston PE pianos to be impressive. I’m of no help beyond that.

lovelydove #3000022 07/07/20 08:04 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
L
Boston pianos are made by Kawai but anyone who plays them will know they are not Kawai instruments.They can are designed by Steinways but they not Steinways either.This has always
counted against them-- their identity.
All three are very good instruments so it is really up to you.Kawai GX are just as good as the Yamaha CX instruments.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 07/07/20 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling
lovelydove #3000027 07/07/20 08:17 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
L
Sorry I mean't to say Boston are made by Kawai but designed by Steinways.

lovelydove #3000030 07/07/20 08:30 PM
L
L
If the Kawais weren’t doing it for You - I’d probably focus on the other 2 bigger Grands - The Boston 178 or the Yamaha C3X

Nothing against the Yamaha C2X, other than it’s the smallest on Your list

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
lovelydove #3000035 07/07/20 08:56 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
If you like the Boston 178 best, perhaps negotiate for a better deal, since the “peer” pianos are priced more competitively. The trade-in aspect doesn’t really register on my radar, since I’m not particularly brand loyal.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Lady Bird #3000039 07/07/20 09:05 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Boston pianos are made by Kawai but anyone who plays them will know they are not Kawai instruments.They can are designed by Steinways but they not Steinways either.This has always
No realistic person would expect Bostons to be Steinways which cost 2-3 times as much. So I can't see how not being Steinways would count against them.

Lady Bird #3000040 07/07/20 09:06 PM
No realistic person would expect Bostons to be Steinways which cost 2-3 times as much. So I can't see how not being Steinways would count against them.

pianoloverus #3000049 07/07/20 09:31 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I was only talking about thier identity and the confusion it causes being made by Kawai and designed by Steinway.
One poster here reffered to an Essex as a "Steinways". Another poster said a dealer after showing him a a Boston started to refer the instrument as the "Steinways Boston".
Boston's do not sound at all like Kawai pianos nor do they respond the way Kawai do.They are not
Kawai pianos.
The pianos are neither ,then they get called Boston! (cynical ?)

Last edited by Lady Bird; 07/07/20 09:36 PM. Reason: spelling
lovelydove #3000057 07/07/20 10:06 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum, Lovelydove!

When piano shopping last summer, I fell in love with several Boston's (including the 178), but a new piano was not in my budget and there weren't lots of used ones in my area (I ended up buying a 20 y/o Yamaha C2 for the record). I also didn't like any of the Kawais I played (I didn't like the action), so you and I may have similar piano tastes! (My first acoustic was a Yamaha U1 as well whome

In any case, I think it makes sense to purchase based on which piano you like best now, not based on the idea that you might trade in that piano in the future for some as yet unheard piano...

I'm curious about the Yamahas that you felt didn't sing out... I wonder if the new approach to the Yamaha sound either didn't work for you, or maybe they weren't prepped well.

Have you visited the same store a second time? If not, I highly recommend that (a second, third, fourth time...) because you learn so much by doing that. (although, I learned that I loved some instruments I can't afford, so... grin

And, best of luck in your decision making and keep us posted!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
lovelydove #3000096 07/08/20 01:24 AM
L
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
L
If you are keen on a piano .,It is reasonable to phone and make an appointment to see the instrument .At the same time ask them if they could at least tune the piano before you arrive.A good tuning often works wonders to improve the tone of a piano so you can see its potential better.
Piano dealers often sometimes do not have thier pianos tuned as well as they should be.Perhaps more so now with some technicians no longer working since the Covid virus.

lovelydove #3000202 07/08/20 09:45 AM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
As I understand things but I didn’t go this path because Steinway dealerships have struggled in my home state, Steinway realizes that much of the market for pianos falls below the starting price of Steinway grands so Steinway designs two different lines of pianos for those people who can’t afford a Steinway. The Essex is their lowest priced line made in China and then there’s the Boston made by Kawai. If you buy a Boston I believe but am not positive, you get full trade in price when you trade up to a Steinway. The Boston is a nice piano in its own right as you and quite a few people on this forum state. Last time I played one, which was years ago, before Kawai went with the Millennium III action, I found the Boston nice but not exactly my cup of tea. It’s all a matter of personal taste. Some people, and many piano experts adore the carbon fiber action of the Kawai, others don’t care for it and so a Boston would be ideal.

I’ve always been a Yamaha fan so of the brands and pianos you mentioned I’d get the C3X. But that’s just me. You should go back to try your favorites again and again to see what you really want and then go for it. Best Wishes on your search.

Last edited by j&j; 07/08/20 09:47 AM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I save far better than I play!
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice for small handed player(9th interval max)
by dcbluepiano - 08/14/20 11:43 PM
Roland FP-30 WAV volume vs keyboard volume
by Richard Bruer - 08/14/20 10:57 PM
Yamaha Sound Decay
by Lonnie Bear - 08/14/20 07:44 PM
Experiences with Roland RD-88 (or Yamaha CP88)?
by Karnevil - 08/14/20 07:35 PM
Lord Vinheterio?
by JeanieA - 08/14/20 07:11 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,932
Posts2,991,973
Members98,150
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission