2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rintincop
I don't care about how they sound, I care about the action. It's like being concerned over appearance more than ones behavior.
I agree if you use your keyboard just as a MIDI controller. But I disagree if you play using just the internal sounds of the DP. In this case, the sound and the action (and the connection between them) are both important parts of the experience of playing the piano.

F
F
Originally Posted by rintincop
I don't care about how they sound, I care about the action. It's like being concerned over appearance more than ones behavior.

LOL isn't music all about sound? wink If you don't like the sound, what will motivate you to actually play the piano?

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by FPlays
LOL isn't music all about sound? wink If you don't like the sound, what will motivate you to actually play the piano?

Typically when this statement comes up, it means that when you have a DP, sound is something you have control over after the fact (e.g., you can use a VST, or control another instrument over MIDI), but you're stuck with the action, so you'd better make sure it's one you like.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
F
F
Originally Posted by Gombessa

Typically when this statement comes up, it means that when you have a DP, sound is something you have control over after the fact (e.g., you can use a VST, or control another instrument over MIDI), but you're stuck with the action, so you'd better make sure it's one you like.

Well, it works exactly the same both ways - if you don't like the sound, buy a VST - if you don't like the action, buy another keyboard!

I know, it's probably cheaper to buy a VST than a keyboard, but still, it's not like "you're stuck" either way...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
VST pianos introduce too much lag time, no thank you.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
F
F
Yeah, and there's that...

So in the end, when buying a new piano, do yourself a favor and get one which does it for you in both categories - a great feeling action and a lovely sound. You will thank yourself later! wink

T
T
How perfect to find this thread after many months away from the forum. I have a Casio GP-500, which sounds like the GP-300 played in this video. It has the perfect sound for Debussy and reminds me of Bechsteins I played while studying in Europe.

This is the first time I’ve actually heard the Kawai and Yamaha DP pianos that almost everyone here likes. To me they sound like crap and I cannot understand why people like them. I’ve always wanted to hear comparisons that used the speaker system within the instrument and not augmented through all sorts of electronics. Sound is a personal thing and I’ve wondered for many months what the other keyboards sound like.

I’m so glad I got the Casio. I never could stand playing Kawai and Yamaha acoustic pianos and I feel the same about their DP’s also.

Recorder Player/Singer
Back to playing piano
J
OP Offline
J
The best for me were the Casio and Roland. Yamaha has a very distinctive bright sound while and the Kawai was just muddy and dull.

There is no way you're serious.

Finally bought the P515
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Oh, I'm late to this discussion! Yet another worst sound coming from Roland LOL

You know Super-Natural starts with an "ES". Do you know what else starts with an "ES"? Shenanigans.

Shenanigans-Natural Piano = SN Piano by Roland.

J
OP Offline
J
I'm surprised how many think the Casio and Roland sound better than Kawai and Yamaha. I really love Kawai's sound and Yamaha's is really good too. To me the Casio literally sounds like a toy compared to Kawai/Yamaha. Roland sounds WAYYYY better than Casio but still not as good as Yamaha/Kawai. Kawai sounds awesome and Yamaha does too, it's all down to personal preference tbh (I like Yamaha's sound even more when I change settings, and i'm sure I would like Kawai's sound even more if I changed settings too).

Finally bought the P515
J
OP Offline
J
After listening with headphones again, I think Yamaha sounds SLIGHTLY more realistic than Kawai's sound. Roland and especially Casio are left in the dust by Kawai and Yamaha in this. Casio is unbelievably bad. Roland is... odd. Kawai is excellent, and so is Yamaha.

Finally bought the P515
J
OP Offline
J
He has a previous video with a different piece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd6EtQKFaGk
I think Roland really expressed the melody well but didn't sound realistic.
Yamaha was the most realistic and also expressed the melody very well. I can REALLY tell that it's Yamaha due to playing my P-515 for so long. Casio was... well... not good at expressing the melody and sounding realistic.
Also, there are slight variations in the playing but I don't think that's a big deal. I see people saying in the comments "well, he's a yamaha employee so he probably played the yamaha more expressively1!1!"...
If he really wanted Yamaha to win, wouldn't he have played even worse on the other pianos? Eh, whatever.

Finally bought the P515
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by joemama42O
I'm surprised how many think the Casio and Roland sound better than Kawai and Yamaha. I really love Kawai's sound and Yamaha's is really good too. To me the Casio literally sounds like a toy compared to Kawai/Yamaha. Roland sounds WAYYYY better than Casio but still not as good as Yamaha/Kawai. Kawai sounds awesome and Yamaha does too, it's all down to personal preference tbh (I like Yamaha's sound even more when I change settings, and i'm sure I would like Kawai's sound even more if I changed settings too).

No one except 1 person found Roland's sound good! but I'm telling ya IMHO Roland sounds better than Steinway and Sons.

He has a previous video with a different piece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd6EtQKFaGk
I think Roland really expressed the melody well but didn't sound realistic.
Yamaha was the most realistic and also expressed the melody very well. I can REALLY tell that it's Yamaha due to playing my P-515 for so long. Casio was... well... not good at expressing the melody and sounding realistic.
Also, there are slight variations in the playing but I don't think that's a big deal. I see people saying in the comments "well, he's a yamaha employee so he probably played the yamaha more expressively1!1!"...
If he really wanted Yamaha to win, wouldn't he have played even worse on the other pianos? Eh, whatever.

How can someone talks about the expressiveness of an instrument without playing it is beyond me. Next time I'm playing my keyboard I'm going to ask it to express the melody better and see how it does. Fingers crossed...

I like the roland sound.

Now, we are 2. smile

Yamaha P 525
VSL D-274 , BI and CFX, NI Komplete Ultimate, VPS Avenger, Gig Performer
IK loud MTMs, Motu M4, DT 990 pro, AKG702, Macbook pro M1
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
IMHO the issue with the default piano sound of most Casio DPs is that the sustain of the notes from the central octave onwards has a much smaller volume compared to the the sustained volume of others manufacturers main piano sounds. This makes you think the Casio main piano patch sounds more "percussive" when it's just that it has a thinner sustain volume. It's more like a fusion between an upright piano and a grand piano: you have the warm sound timbre of a german grand piano, but the thin sustain of an upright.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Abdol
[...]No one except 1 person found Roland's sound good! but I'm telling ya IMHO Roland sounds better than Steinway and Sons.[...]
I think you are one of the very few people in the world (or maybe the only one) that thinks a Roland DP sounds better than a real acoustic Stainway&Sons grand piano. laugh

F
F
The best for me were the Casio and Roland. Yamaha has a very distinctive bright sound while and the Kawai was just muddy and dull.

There is no way you're serious.

I am 100% serious. And everytime I see here people raving about the Kawai sound I am truly, utterly perplexed. The Roland sound is so much more clear!

F
F
Originally Posted by Tenor1
How perfect to find this thread after many months away from the forum. I have a Casio GP-500, which sounds like the GP-300 played in this video. It has the perfect sound for Debussy and reminds me of Bechsteins I played while studying in Europe.

This is the first time I’ve actually heard the Kawai and Yamaha DP pianos that almost everyone here likes. To me they sound like crap and I cannot understand why people like them. I’ve always wanted to hear comparisons that used the speaker system within the instrument and not augmented through all sorts of electronics. Sound is a personal thing and I’ve wondered for many months what the other keyboards sound like.

I’m so glad I got the Casio. I never could stand playing Kawai and Yamaha acoustic pianos and I feel the same about their DP’s also.

This is so true that recording with a line out tells you nothing about using the piano as it was designed to be used, hearing it through it's speakers. I can tell from experience, the Yamaha P125 I had sounded great when recorded externally, but playing with the built-in speakers the sound was just awful! Could not enjoy playing it at all!

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
The Casio here was disadvantaged by the fact that it was recorded at a lower volume, it seems. In comparison tests, people tend to prefer louder music, even if it is only louder by a small amount. That's why ABA tests need to have very careful control of volume. Of course, the dynamic response of these keyboards may not match, so it would be hard.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by magicpiano
IMHO the issue with the default piano sound of most Casio DPs is that the sustain of the notes from the central octave onwards has a much smaller volume compared to the the sustained volume of others manufacturers main piano sounds. This makes you think the Casio main piano patch sounds more "percussive" when it's just that it has a thinner sustain volume. It's more like a fusion between an upright piano and a grand piano: you have the warm sound timbre of a german grand piano, but the thin sustain of an upright.
I agree with this too much. "percussive" is the perfect word to describe how the Casio sounds.

Finally bought the P515
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission