2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 116 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 115 116
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
@Otavio : since the acceleration is in the MIDI implementation chart, any expander/VST which supports it could use the acceleration to control the sound. However, it is the first time such a control is proposed. Then, no virtual piano is designed to use it.

Perhaps a new version of Pianoteq could be made to support the acceleration.

Making sampled based virtual pianos to support it will be hard : you have two axis (velocity/acceleration), then you need a huge number of samples, and/or a blending algorithm.

Perhaps some synthesizer (DX7 emulation...) can map the acceleration to a control which permits some creative sound control.

There is a nice video about the phrasing with the piano : https://youtu.be/JxPGkjgxCVQ

It would be interesting to have the same video made with a CLP7xx to compare.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 07/05/20 12:06 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
J
J
Anyone got piano from the 700s series?

Owner of Roland LX-705 LA, But fan of Kawai
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
They are not available yet.

(Well, there was a CLP-760 released in 1990, a CLP-705 in 1993 and a CLP-711 in 1996. There's a sound sample of the CLP-760 so people can check if there has been any improvement in 30 years.
https://fi.yamaha.com/fi/products/contents/pianos/clavinova35th/chronicle/index.html)

O
O
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
@Otavio : since the acceleration is in the MIDI implementation chart, any expander/VST which supports it could use the acceleration to control the sound. However, it is the first time such a control is proposed. Then, no virtual piano is designed to use it.

Perhaps a new version of Pianoteq could be made to support the acceleration.

Making sampled based virtual pianos to support it will be hard : you have two axis (velocity/acceleration), then you need a huge number of samples, and/or a blending algorithm.

Perhaps some synthesizer (DX7 emulation...) can map the acceleration to a control which permits some creative sound control.

There is a nice video about the phrasing with the piano : https://youtu.be/JxPGkjgxCVQ

It would be interesting to have the same video made with a CLP7xx to compare.

Interesting...

O
O

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JackQ89
Man Yamaha really stepped up their desigen even better than kawai.

Is the CLP-7x5 cabinet design different to that of the CLP-6x5 series?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by JackQ89
Man Yamaha really stepped up their desigen even better than kawai.

Is the CLP-7x5 cabinet design different to that of the CLP-6x5 series?

James
x
I don't think it is.

Roland LX708
9190 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Otavio

This video was posted and discussed here 4 days ago.

K
K
Originally Posted by mwf
Originally Posted by Kougeru
Originally Posted by mwf
Why is everyone saying its a new action... Its the same overly heavy grandtouch, yamaha have ignored all feedback as predicted, they lost a loyal customer in me, I'll be opting for kawai now.

Or they listened to "feedback" from actual customers, thousands upon thousands that enjoyed the GrandTouch action, including many professional concert musicians. It's a simple fact that not everyone has the same tastes.

So you think there are many concert pianists out there who like the grandtouch action? As in concert pianists who practice and perform mainly on expensive high end grands that have real actions with average downweights half that approx of the GT action.... You are in fantasy land my friend, and you also think thousands and thousands love the action? You think they sold that many? I heard 1,yes there was maybe 1 'concert pianist' on this forum or who someone knew that liked the grandtouch action... You appear to have taken that info and turned it into this nonsense you have spouted...

Sorry, only saw this joke of a response right now. YOU are the one living in fantasy land.

Yes, I know several concert pianists that had no issues with the GrandTouch action. I didn't say thousands "love" the action. I said they sold thousands upon thousands and those people enjoyed it enough to not complain. This is obvious by the fact that they're still using the action. If it was really as bad of an action as people on this forum think then there would be a mass recall lol. The hate here is extremely amplified. On this forum basically anything less than a GrandFeel is unusable lol. Sometimes you guys are such elitists. I never asid anything about a concert pianist "on this forum". I don't know anyone on this forum. Ya'll are strangers to me. I would say you can ask retailers but they're obviously extremely bias in that if they sell it they'll generally say it's a good action and if they don't sell it they're likely to say otherwise. For privacy reasons I cannot name who I know. One of them is a YAMAHA artist so there may be some bias there but they were able to play top-level pieces with the instrument it's at the least not something that hampered their ability severely.

This forum may be the largest of it's kind it's still so small that we're statistically irrelevant- a few dozen active users on this specific section vs the thousands that actually buy these instruments.
"You think they sold that many?". You think they didn't? I said "thousands upon thousands" which is literally anything over around 4,000. They definitely sold more than 2,000 lol. You're ignoring reality if you don't think they sold a few thousand CLPs that used GrandTouch actions. I don't know why you're so offended by the fact that other people LIKE the action.

Lastly, "You appear to have taken that info and turned it into this nonsense you have spouted"

Don't put words in my mouth. That's vile. Maybe if you had an ounce of reading comprehension you would see that I never once mentioned anyone on this forum or hinted at such a thing. Don't put words into other people's mouth. Absolutely disgusting thing to do.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
^ This video has been posted in post #1 in this thread.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
9190 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tudor33sud

Something to keep an eye on for people interested in the CLP 700 series. Maybe this will answer a couple of questions we already have

It is live now.

9190 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 9190
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by tudor33sud
To me it seems like the display is turned off while playing...

Well, the control panel disappears, but it seems that the LCD display itself (the blue rectangle at the top of the control panel) remains turned on.

Maybe some kind of reflection. Because here we can clearly see that both the control panel and the screen turn off. And despite the fact that the screen is turned off, we still see its clear outlines, as in the video above, which can cause the feeling that the screen is turned on if there is a lot of light in the room.

So now I've got confirmation:
[Linked Image]

In addition, it was clearly shown in this video fragment:
https://youtu.be/9D2dLVgHLwc?t=421
And here as well:
https://youtu.be/9D2dLVgHLwc?t=446

Great.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
And now it's over. Yamaha did answer a few questions:

- Does the control panel (both the touch buttons and the screen itself) turn off completely in CLP-775/785 during playing? Or only touch buttons?
- Yes - the screen and touch buttons on the CLP775 and 785 all turn off. The side panel goes completly black.

- I wonder if the action got lighter compared to 675 and 685?
- Good question. From my personal experience, the touch is more refined in that it is easier to have a much greater dynamic range and control.

- ​Does new Series have built-in audio interface (audio over USB)?
- Yes - there is USB audio built-in. The great feature about the USB audio - is that it is two-way. You can record audio from your CLP to the computer. You can also play audio from your computer, through your excellent CLP speakers. This is all completely digital.

- Can you tell us about the transducer of the 785 and what it is used for? Is there soundboard that is made vibrating through the transducer?
- The Transducer is attached to top of the cabinet.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
‘.....the touch is more refined.....it is easier to have a much greater dynamic range and control......’

I thought they had made this claim before (with the CLP-280).

I can only assume that the 785 plays better than even an acoustic concert grand considering the CLP-280 was already ‘indistinguishable from the real thing’. If I remember correctly, it was so easy to play a trill on that instrument that the player need only think of it, and the trill beautifully played itself!

Good one, Pete. I guess Yamaha employs politicians ... because the "answers" to two of those questions were ambiguous and useless.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
I suppose "Good question" means "I'm not allowed so say anything concrete". 😄

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Someone had to ask them about the new Grand Expression Modeling...

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Ooh...Grand Expression Modeling can be abbreviated as GEM. As in GeneralMusic. Maybe Yamaha bought GeneralMusic?

😉

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I like very much that the display and touch buttons led turn off when you don't use it. Very elegant looking.

Page 11 of 116 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 115 116

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission