2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2999631 07/06/20 09:08 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
All things Mozart.

To get things rolling, I guess I'll ask everyone what they consider to be his magnum opus, if he has one.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chopinetto
.....I guess I'll ask everyone what they consider to be his magnum opus, if he has one.

Multi-multi-way tie!

Just off the top of my head, and with apologies to the dozens of equally or more worthy ones I'm leaving out (and of course with a piano bias but I'll try to suppress it a little) -- and I do mean truly and literally that to me, any of these could be said to be at the top, and for me at various times have been:

(we'll probably run out of paper before I'm done with this list) grin

Don't ask me to pick just one of these; I couldn't.

Sinfonia Concertante for violin & viola
Sinfonia Concertante for Winds (even though we don't have his whole original version)
Clarinet Concerto
Clarinet Quintet
Sonata for Piano and Violin (violinists like to put it the other way around) in E minor
Sonata for Piano and Violin in B♭ major, K. 454
Sonata for 2 pianos, K. 448
Concerto for 2 pianos, K. 365
Piano Sonata in A minor, K. 310
Piano Sonata in D major, K. 576
Trio for Piano, Clarinet, and Viola, K. 498
Piano Quartet in G minor
String Quintet in G minor
Piano Concerto in B♭ major, K. 595
Piano Concerto in D minor, K. 466
Piano Concerto in A major, K. 488
Piano Concerto in F major, K. 459 (a special favorite)
Piano Concerto in G major, K. 453
(I fulfilled a lifelong wish when I was house-sitting a bird, and played a recording of the last movement while hearing the bird tweeting) grin
Symphony # 41 (G minor)
Symphony #40 (C major, Jupiter)
Symphony # 39 (E♭ major)
The "Queen of the Night" Aria from The Magic Flute (when not sung by Florence Foster Jenkins
......and that's all without even mentioning the Requiem, or any of the other operas

A
A
His magnum opus is probably his Requiem. Or perhaps one of his operas like The Magic Flute or Don Giovanni. It's hard to choose because every he has brilliant works in almost every genre.

Mark_C #2999650 07/06/20 10:05 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Symphony # 41 (G minor)

I think made you a mistake. grin

Symphony # 41 (G minor)

I think made you a mistake. grin

Darn, yeah!!
And actually it was a double mistake by me:
First of all, not being sure which was , which, and typing it wrong.
But, before posting, I checked, saw that I had it wrong, and so I reversed the numbers (supposedly).
Evidently it didn't "take."

So, it was:
(1) a memory mistake, and then
(2) a spastic mistake. grin

BTW: Good eye!!

Mark_C #2999660 07/06/20 10:29 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Sinfonia Concertante for Winds (even though we don't have his whole original version)

I've loved this piece for years, but we don't have a verified original version at all. The piece surfaced for the first time in 1869 and its authenticity is highly in question.

Mark_C #2999661 07/06/20 10:32 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
BTW, are you really putting some of those works up against the Requiem and Cm mass? I mean, the Sinfonia Concertante for Winds... against the mass? crazy

BTW, are you really putting some of those works up against the Requiem and Cm mass? I mean, the Sinfonia Concertante for Winds... against the mass? crazy

You're a great quick study. ha

You singled out the piece that I'd say is certainly my oddest inclusion.

Remember, we're being asked our opinions, and in my little opinion grin "magnum opus" can have different meanings.
I'm including the meaning of "most loved at a particular moment."

The piece happens to have a special significance to me, because of how I came upon it and what it 'inspired' in me.
(long story)

For sure it doesn't belong on that list on any objective basis, but I wasn't meaning to be entirely "objective."

BTW, regarding this what you said:

I've loved this piece for years, but we don't have a verified original version at all. The piece surfaced for the first time in 1869 and its authenticity is highly in question.

Long after I came across the piece and loved it, I discovered that a prominent pianist/musicologist, Robert Levin, who I happened to sort of know (even turned pages for him at a couple of concerts -- I love turning pages) grin had done a major study of the piece, including:
-- writing a huge "whodunit" book on the origin and authenticity of the work
Robert Levin's book
(the second appearing review is mine, even though a different name is shown)
-- doing a fabulous "re-construction" of the work, which I've had the pleasure of hearing in concert.

The book is tough reading, because of how detailed and painstaking it is, but as detailed-painstaking books go grin it's great.

He makes a very convincing case that the basic work really is Mozart -- I'd say that part of it is undeniable -- and a very good case on specific aspects of it, including that originally it was for a different instrumentation than the common version.

Mark_C #2999671 07/06/20 10:57 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I knew he had done work on the piece. I wasn't aware he had written a book on it though. I might check this out. Thanks, Marcia. grin

ha ha ha ha ha ha

[Linked Image]

Mark_C #2999682 07/06/20 11:41 PM
About this thing:
Piano Concerto in G major, K. 453
(I fulfilled a lifelong wish when I was house-sitting a bird, and played a recording of the last movement while hearing the bird tweeting) grin

In case anyone's skeptical about that idea grin ....check it out yourself!

Simple:
Just click on both of these and listen to them going at the same time.
It's pretty much what I heard that time. ha

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
There is no such thing as magnum opus when it comes to Mozart because he wrote so many works that are greater than anything humans have written. He is in a category all by himself.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
It is very difficult as he wrote masterpieces in just any genre of music, several operas are outstanding, quintet k515 and k516, the k427 mass, the requiem, concerto for clarinet, piano concerto 21, 25, 27, several quartets, symphony 39, 40, 41, 35, Piano sonatas, ....

Even in some of his lesser known pieces there are gems.

Blüthner model 6
Sidokar #2999729 07/07/20 03:38 AM
Originally Posted by Sidokar
....Even in some of his lesser known pieces there are gems.

The piece that I'm loving most and working on right now is a Mozart piece that I didn't even mention in that list of about 10,000 Mozart pieces. grin

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I really love his piano sonatas and piano concertos although they aren't necessarily his magnum opus. And of course the Requiem but some parts of it are not composed or finalized by Mozart.

Besides everything already mentioned, I really love his "Ave verum corpus" K.618 motet. Of course it's not a magnum opus and is a rather short work but it always soothes my mind and gives me peace. I've sung the bass part, as well as accompanied it on organ many times at my parent's church when I was young.

Last edited by CyberGene; 07/07/20 03:47 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
B
B
Any of the three Lorenzo Da Ponte operas (Don Giovanni, Le nozze di Figaro, Cosí fan tutte) would be sufficient to confirm Wolfie as a musical genius. They all show his profound understanding of human nature, with musical pathos livened up with comedy.

Slapstick humour combined with deep seriousness is even more evident in his last opera, the Singspiel Die Zauberflöte, again another masterpiece with even more memorable but simple tunes that Beethoven couldn't get out of his head.

The ambiguity of mood (and even of 'musical message') in his music has always fascinated scholars through the ages, who try to analyze how he achieved it - sometimes with just a single unexpected accidental within a simple phrase that throws doubts into one's mind as to what he really meant. That's why, though his style is very easy to imitate (not to mention parodied, by the likes of Victor Borge among others), it's impossible to replicate.

For example, in the opening Kyrie - and just listen to the transition to the solo soprano:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsiP4-mCnQ0

Another example: his late concerto for a wind instrument, which no other composer has come anywhere close to matching, not just in sheer memorability of the music, but also in his understanding of the instrument itself. How can such a simple tune, using straightforward harmonies that any first-year student will know, sound so profound - and yet ambiguous?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxgmorK61YQ

If music be the food of love, play on!
Online Content

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/07/20 10:03 AM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Oh, and don't forget his violin concertos - they are short, but they are gems. Used to have a recording of Yehudi Menuhin playing them. One short piece I listen to a lot is Laudate Dominum in A, K321 (according t the CD label - I assume that's correct!)

In my abortive clarinet playing attempts (self-taught as usual) I did 'play' the slow movement of his clarinet concerto - wonderful experience, although Mozart would probably not have approved.

Then there's the concerto for flute and harp not yet mentioned which, if not great, is a very refreshing piece to listen to.

His magnum opus? I've no idea....so many to choose from. As a youngster for me it was symphony no41, but as I mentioned elsewhere on PW, I came across a particularly miserable rendition that emphasized all the latent pathos and I haven't listened to it since.

regards
Pete
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I really love his piano sonatas and piano concertos although they aren't necessarily his magnum opus. And of course the Requiem but some parts of it are not composed or finalized by Mozart.

Besides everything already mentioned, I really love his "Ave verum corpus" K.618 motet. Of course it's not a magnum opus and is a rather short work but it always soothes my mind and gives me peace. I've sung the bass part, as well as accompanied it on organ many times at my parent's church when I was young.

I *LOVE* Ave Verum Corpus!!!

I love his sonatas, piano concertos (esp. K. 466), The Magic Flute, the Requiem, and Symphony #25 (haven't seen that one mentioned... I especially love how they use it at the beginning of the movie "Amadeus" to set the scene.)

aka Lady Arabesque
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/hayburner1969
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
All things Mozart.

To get things rolling, I guess I'll ask everyone what they consider to be his magnum opus, if he has one.

I don’t know about his magnum opus...i guess that is probably Don Giovanni... but I love the sonata for two pianos k448. It’s the best non orchestral piano work he composed. Amd i think the 9th piano concerto is perfect too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission