2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 14 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2999098 07/05/20 02:26 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I found this video online and thought that it really showed the difference of high end digital piano's internal piano sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFmDkp6vSag
Personally, Kawai and Yamaha tied for me.

Finally bought the P515
P
P
If I watch short samples, I prefer Yamaha.
But when you have it at home, you won't play short samples, you may play it for hours.
Variability of sound become more important, because it translates into dynamics and responsiveness, and Roland seems to have advantage over sampled pianos here, at least on paper.
P.S. Could not visit stores and play all these pianos in person, due to the current situation or because they are sold out.

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I agree the Roland did not sound so good compared with the others. The Casio did very well IMO (now I will put my fire proof suit on).

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by EVC2017
I agree the Roland did not sound so good compared with the others. The Casio did very well IMO (now I will put my fire proof suit on).
Please rewatch the video, your last sentence seems to be going against logic.

Finally bought the P515
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by joemama42O
Originally Posted by EVC2017

Sorry, I had a comment on Youtube in my mind when I typed those.
I am very surprised that Roland performed so... weird... as I am planning to get a Roland soon.
I'm now getting mixed feelings... O_O

And I found Casio on par with Kawai and Yamaha on that video (of course, my opinion). The joke on the last sentence is because Casio is often detracted around here. (I should have added a smile ).

Last edited by EVC2017; 07/05/20 03:51 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
F
F
The best for me were the Casio and Roland. Yamaha has a very distinctive bright sound while and the Kawai was just muddy and dull.

P
P
Fascinating. The Kawai and Yamaha tied for me. The other two sounded so fake I didn’t even listen to the whole clips.

Current: Kawai NV10, Reface CP
Previous: Kawai CA-95, Ensoniq KT-88, 1920's Upright
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
YT vids are interesting but not too informative. By and large you hear the midi-generated recordings and not what you'd hear in the shop when physical parameters come into play. Like speakers.
Playing the stuff in the flesh is the only way to go with the knowledge that really, all of them are very good.
And \i was surprised at the range of adjustments in the P515 for stuff like dynamics, brightness, lid position etc.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Yes! Exactly right, peter.
Originally Posted by peterws
YT vids are interesting but not too informative. By and large you hear the midi-generated recordings and not what you'd hear in the shop when physical parameters come into play. Like speakers.
Playing the stuff in the flesh is the only way to go with the knowledge that really, all of them are very good.
And it goes both ways. I recently heard a online video of my old, old CLP240. On the video it sounded good. But my piano's native sound is crap ... whether through its own speakers, external monitors, or headphones.

I don't know why ... but these videos can be deceptive. I don't trust them. And ... in the end ... the only demonstration that matters comes from the piano when it's in your living room.

Hmmm ... will Abdol chime in to say that he has charts and graphs that will tell me what to like and what not to like, right? smile

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Well, I don't know really. Tbh they were all a bit 'harsh' for a piece that in my mind anyway should be softer and more expressive, so I can't really say. Th Casio sounded better than the Kawai (shock), the others were kind of - well, OK I suppose, but if I were to play that piece (haven't for years, admittedly) and I couldn't get it to sound better than that, any of those 'pianos' would go out of the window shocked (yes, I know, bad workman blaming tool an all that, but....)

Last edited by petebfrance; 07/06/20 07:03 AM.

regards
Pete
O
O
And \i was surprised at the range of adjustments in the P515 for stuff like dynamics, brightness, lid position etc.

Nope - the Roland didn't do it for me in this particular video, neither did the Casio (particularly at the beginning).

I tried the internal recorder on my DP the other day: Played back through another device, it sounds very different to playing in the flesh.

Do any of you use a seperate preset optimised for recording/headphones? It seems there's quite a difference.

(Hang on.... my ears are probably lying).

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
F
F

That's very true actually, taking the Yamaha P125 for an example - when I played it in person it sounded awful, but when I played the recorded audio on my computer speakers it sounded very good! So in the end, trust your ears, nothing else wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Interestingly, I recognized immediately the brand of every piano sound in that video.

Honestly, the Roland sounds very bad in that video. It has the most percussive sound of all of them and that typical metallic Roland piano sound if you hit a key a little harder. But then I heard on other videos some similar Roland cabinet-style DPs that sound so much better... So, I don't know... Maybe is just the default piano patch that is not good.

The Casio has that typical (for many Casio DPs) short attack and thin sustain that I don't like. Maybe there are other piano patches in that DP that sound better.

Kawai and Yamaha are nice, as usual. They have a different timbre, so it's a matter of personal preferences here. I slightly prefer the Kawai SK-EX sound timbre, but with headphones I feel Yamaha samples are better spatialized in the stereo field, so they feel a little less muddy when you play many notes togheter with pedal down.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
EDIT: I just heard now some Roland DP videos about the HP605, the HP704, the LX706... Well, I didn't remember they sounded like that: more of less, they sound all the same, as in the above video, and they are more percussive than Yamaha and Kawai main piano patches. They have a very clean and dynamic sound, but I hope you can lower a little that percussive feeling in the options (or maybe use a different piano patch), because I don't like it at all. Of course, that's just my opinion, maybe you like how it sounds.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by joemama42O

Bet you're glad you typed that now... grin

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
K
K
I never liked this video cuz the pianos are rather varying price differences (in the US). Literally thousands of dollars between the HP-605 and CLP-675

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
I don't care about how they sound, I care about the action. It's like being concerned over appearance more than ones behavior.

Last edited by rintincop; 07/06/20 04:08 PM.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by rintincop
I don't care about how they sound, I care about the action. It's like being concerned over appearance more than ones behavior.

You are correct, there is always a VST that sounds better than any internal piano that you can use on your DP if you don't like the internal sound.

Finally bought the P515
M
M
Watching a video with compressed audio via YouTube may provide an impression but to choose, you should play the instruments and feel the connection between the keyboard action and the sound. I use both internal and AU/VST pianos depending on what I'm playing or trying to achieve.

Using:RD-2000,Hydrasynth Deluxe,Mac Studio,Logic Pro,Arturia:V/GX80/OB-E/VPS Avenger/Triton/Komplete14/Roland Cloud/Keyscape,Omnisphere/Diva,Hive,Zebra

Sold:Korg:Kronos 88,T3,MS20,Yamaha:Motif XS8,Motif ES8,Motif 8,KX88,Oberheim:Modular 8 Voice,OBXa,OB8,Prophet 5,Roland D50,Dyno-My-Rhodes
G
G
The ultimate proof for me ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission