2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2998838 07/04/20 09:48 PM
H
Harpuia Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Just recorded a piece (Tchaikovsky October) using Vienna Imperial and I really love this VST. The recording is far from perfect as this is recorded using the Yeti Blue USB microphone from my studio monitor. It's a pity that I didn't keep the MIDI file and render it to have a higher quality recording.

My playing is amateur level and I just started learning this piece so please don't expect full proficiency. But man, Vienna Imperial does everything that I want. Great dynamic expression, una corda samples, and lack of half pedal isn't a deal breaker here since the 2nus feature also feels great.

I also tried other VSTs including the newer Synchron Pianos but Vienna Imperial is my favorite for this piece. There are a few notes that are out of tune but also sound special.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Love it!

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
J
J
WOW! That sounds awesome, nice.

Finally bought the P515
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Excellent!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Lovely playing, and indistinguishable from an acoustic imo. Wonder if you can use that on a netbook . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
R
R
nice.
Perhaps some old sampled VSTs have become more unique and charm in today's new technological ones.

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Brilliant! It really shows off what Vienna Imperial can do with a pianist who really works with it.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Wow, I don't think I've ever heard a slow piece sounding so acoustic-like. Great job!

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Beautiful! Thankyou.

Greg

T
T
That s an amazing sound! Congratulations smile I like it so much when we can forget about layers, sound engine, and just let the piano sing and enjoy. Dynamics were just perfect!

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile
Criticism is welcomed since it helps improving and going forward!

Yamaha P-105 -> Roland HP-605 -> Roland LX708
R
R
Btw, is OP playing and recording by N3X?
Sounds like VI is perfect fit for it.

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I love that you recorded with an external microphone. It gives us the experience of hearing it in the room. More enjoyable and realistic.

Wonderful playing. Thanks for sharing.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
It would be good to know how it sounds through the on-board speakers. I believe Harpuia recorded the piece from monitors.

Also, is this the N3 or the N3X?

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Beautiful playing of October by Tchaikovsky Harpuia.

I agree with you about the Vienna Imperial, I love it. You can extract such a range of sound out of it, from a lovely soft touch to a powerful aggressive beast and everything in between.

It and the new BI with its update are both wonderful VSTs. After BIs update it now competes with VI for my top spot but I think these are different enough and you have the choice to pick the VST that works best for a piece of music.

Both of these VSTs work so well with speakers/monitors and headphones, I can really enjoy listening to myself play via speakers with these. One of my other VSTs sound great with headphones but my speakers struggle to bring it alive and they add some harshness.

K
K
Harpuia, this is beautiful. Not the VST, but your playing! So very expressive. Like others said, it is cool that we get a mic's perspective rather than just straight rendering.

Secondary to your playing, the Vienna Imperial is also amazing. smile

I have just looked up The Seasons and Henle seem to have it. I enjoy their fingering suggestions as it keeps me from having to think too much about it!

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
H
Harpuia Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Pete14
It would be good to know how it sounds through the on-board speakers. I believe Harpuia recorded the piece from monitors.

Also, is this the N3 or the N3X?

Yes I recorded from monitors. I haven't tried to feed VSTs into the onboard speakers and I think the monitors would sound more natural. But it is worth trying.

This is the N3X. I also tried playing with the onboard sound (both CFX and Bosendorfer) using the onboard speaker. I need to change the touch sensitively to light, which is my favorite. The onboard speaker can get much louder than the monitor (615W for N3X and 448W for my pair of JBL 308P MKII). I do feel the multi channel speakers are a relatively better design than stereo as I somehow feel the sound comes out from the cabinet. Although I once did side by side comparison among N2, N3X and GC1. The GC1 wins hands down since they are so different acoustically. However, the onboard CFX / Bosendofer don't have the same variety of timbres as those top VSTs, and the samples are looped. Recently I've been switching among different piano sounds and it's also interesting to try a different sound.

VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
H
Harpuia Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by KevinM
Beautiful playing of October by Tchaikovsky Harpuia.

I agree with you about the Vienna Imperial, I love it. You can extract such a range of sound out of it, from a lovely soft touch to a powerful aggressive beast and everything in between.

It and the new BI with its update are both wonderful VSTs. After BIs update it now competes with VI for my top spot but I think these are different enough and you have the choice to pick the VST that works best for a piece of music.

Both of these VSTs work so well with speakers/monitors and headphones, I can really enjoy listening to myself play via speakers with these. One of my other VSTs sound great with headphones but my speakers struggle to bring it alive and they add some harshness.

Yeah I agree with you that VI and BI are so different. I've been loving the una corda sound of VI a lot and BI does not have it. I have to try the update to see what has been improved.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks, Harpuia.

I truly enjoyed your performance. I can even hear a little ‘quiet buzzing’ at the very end. It sounds very acoustic, and considering the real action, it must be a very satisfying experience for you (the player).

Perhaps the acoustic is not on its way out (as some ‘round here are fond of saying) blush, but from a very practical standpoint, including maintenance, price, size, neighboring concerns, etc., this kind of setup (acoustic action + quality simulation) is worthy of serious consideration; and the icing on the cake is that there’s lots of room for improvement (soundboard, Renner-level action, etc.).

I can only hope that other manufacturers of acoustics will soon start introducing their own hybrid pianos because if we’re left with only two competitors (Kawai/Yamaha) innovation/improvement will be very slow, to say the least.
Still, it ain’t half bad where we’re at with current hybrids. smile

H
Harpuia Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
I didn't expect that people prefer the mic'ed recording to the direct recording from VST software.

I plan to record this piece later when I practise more. I was using my laptop camera and microphone as I felt it would be a hassle to deal with video and audio alignment, and I don't have a camera with good quality. I found a software to use iPhone as a webcam input and I can try to hijack the VST audio to the input to avoid aligning video and audio.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I have been recording video on my phone, and the VST on my computer and then combine them using iMovie. Aligning the audio and video is a bit of a pain but doable.

What software did you find to use you iPhone as a webcam?

I might consider that as an option, to save me from the iMovie hassle, though that would mean changing my recording process.

I normally record the midi on my DP and if I like it I replay the midi and then record audio on my computer. I often reject a recording at this stage.

Last edited by KevinM; 07/05/20 05:32 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission