2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
30 members (EssBrace, Flygbladet, FrankCox, ChiaraTor, Greta99, DYC, 10 invisible), 397 guests, and 447 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Help With My First Digital Piano!
#2998834 07/04/20 09:23 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Good evening!
My name is Hugo, and I finally decided to invest in a digital Piano for my home!
I’m doing my own research, but the piano brand world is huge, so still doubts keeps coming with every new review I read, and since you guys are the experts, I thought I could address you guys this doubt of mine, so you could give your opinion on the matter...

So, researching, I ended with some models in mind:
- Yamaha Clavinova CLP series (I’m not sure what model is the newest... 700?)
- Kawaii CN series (CN 37 or CN 39)
- Rolland HP702

So, Based on these ones, what would you guys suggest? And, are there anymore similar models that you guys would add to the list?
(I would really appreciate if you guys could say the reason you choose whatever ones you suggest!)

Well, I’m thanking you all in advance for the help! Always dreamed in having a piano of mine! smile
Att.

Re: Help With My First Digital Piano!
Hugo_FVF #2998836 07/04/20 09:34 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Perhaps you can share something about your prior experience with the piano?

What is your level of experience? From your last sentence I'm guessing you have limited experience? (If so, be sure to visit the Adult Beginners forum here on Piano World.)

What are your expectations for a new piano?

Also, have you been to the shops and tried out some pianos? That is essential, I think, before buying. I'd spend lots of time doing that.

Yes, I know that's difficult in a pandemic world. So much so that it might make sense to delay purchase until the crisis has passed and you can freely spend time trying pianos?

MacMacMac #2998863 07/04/20 11:20 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Hey! Thanks for the reply!
So, I play the piano since I was 9, but started having real classes when I was 10, and I did then for about 8 years (when I got to college). So, I’m more like a piano for hobby guy. Not exactly a beginner, I know my way around, but surely not an pro or expert.
At home, at the time, I studied on my Yamaha Keybord (nowadays it’s really old, some keys not functioning right, which lead me to gradually stop playing). And I’ll always remember how great it felt to play on the acoustic pianos of my music school, or even the good digital ones, so I can surely tell the difference, and, till this day I almost jump in every acoustic piano I found laying around, haha.
So, I just decided I wanted to invest in a good one, so I could, maybe, restart where I left of. I’ve been missing greatly music in the everyday life, u know. So I just expect to get one that brings back those feels of playing on the real acoustic ones. Maybe a mid tier model.

And YES! Pandemic is ruining my plans, haha. I would surely love to go testing out models. But, since I can’t, I’m just narrowing down models, so that, when the time come, I already have those in my head, and know which ones I want to test it out...

Hugo_FVF #2998866 07/04/20 11:24 PM
Next question: How much would you like to spend? Digital pianos start at a few hundred dollars (US) and go to well over $10,000.

Hugo_FVF #2998883 07/05/20 01:45 AM
J
J
Don’t buy a “new” Clavinova. Their action is too heavy. Get one with NWX action if you were to buy a Clavinova. If you want to go all out, buy an AvantGrand, they’re wonderful. If you want a good looking DP, look at Kawai’s CA series or Yamaha’s Clavinovas but don’t buy one with GrandTouch.

Finally bought the P515
MacMacMac #2998885 07/05/20 01:52 AM
H
OP Offline
H
That’s kinda a trick question, cuz I’m not from America. So I dunno how much would it be in dollars, but look over the Yamaha CLP 635 or Kawaii CN 37. (It’s something around theirs prices)

Hugo_FVF #2998887 07/05/20 02:09 AM
J
J
Are you looking for pure features? All of the things that the CLP-635 has, the P-515 has except for better speakers and a nicer looking piano.

Finally bought the P515
Hugo_FVF #2998888 07/05/20 02:10 AM
J
J
An MP11SE + a VST would leave you happy.

Finally bought the P515
Hugo_FVF #2998912 07/05/20 05:30 AM
J
J
Hi Hugo

I can't comment on your list other than the Kawai CN37 which did impress me - just don't try out the CA79 while you're there!

John

Kawai CA79
joemama42O #2998925 07/05/20 06:30 AM
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by joemama42O
Are you looking for pure features? All of the things that the CLP-635 has, the P-515 has except for better speakers and a nicer looking piano.

The concept of ‘better speakers’ is relative.
Yes, the speakers on the CLP-635 spec higher, but they’re tucked in a cabinet facing downwards.

With the P-515, the speakers are unobstructed; facing up and obliquely. The result is greater than the sum of its -small- parts.

joemama42O #2998929 07/05/20 06:45 AM
H
OP Offline
H
Features do matter, the specifications of the piano and stuff like that. But so do the looks of it, as it’s gonna be in the living room, pretty much like a furniture (as much as an instrument)

And nice to know about the 515! I’ll look up for it!

Hugo_FVF #2998936 07/05/20 07:06 AM
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
I have strong reservations about Kawai support in Brazil. Yamaha and Roland (maybe even Casio) have good support. I do not think the same can be said about Kawai, despite being imported by Fritz Dobert and theoretically having their support here. My opinion, of course.

Last edited by EVC2017; 07/05/20 07:07 AM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Hugo_FVF #2999070 07/05/20 01:45 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by Hugo_FVF
So, researching, I ended with some models in mind:

- Rolland HP702

So, Based on these ones, what would you guys suggest? And, are there anymore similar models that you guys would add to the list?

If you are looking into Roland HP702, you can also look into Roland FP-90 - it has the same sound technology and the keyboard as Roland HP704, and it is the same sound engine as HP702 but the keyboard is one step up from HP702.
You can buy a matching stand with pedal board to make it look more like a furniture:
https://www.kraftmusic.com/roland-fp-90-digital-piano-black-complete-home-bundle.html

(or alternatively, you can buy a folding stand and hide the entire thing in the closet, if the guests are coming smile ).

Or the LX Roland series will be a step up from them both.

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
personne #2999073 07/05/20 01:49 PM
J
J
This is a great test to see which piano sound you prefer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFmDkp6vSag
Personally, my list was 1. Yamaha, 2. Kawai, 3. Roland, and 4. Casio.

Finally bought the P515
Hugo_FVF #2999085 07/05/20 02:06 PM
K
K
Originally Posted by Hugo_FVF
So, I play the piano since I was 9, but started having real classes when I was 10, and I did then for about 8 years (when I got to college). So, I’m more like a piano for hobby guy. Not exactly a beginner, I know my way around, but surely not an pro or expert.

I’ve been missing greatly music in the everyday life, u know.

Hi Hugo! You sound like me - played for years, had a Yamaha which was great at the time, then it gradually developed problems, which left me uninspired and I eventually stopped playing for a time.

I went for a Kawai CA-series without visiting shops. I watched dozens of hours of reviews and read a lot. The speakers, built-in sounds, etc, can all be changed later with external speakers and a PC. The action, to me, was most important.

*The CN39 has the Responsive Hammer III ("RHIII") keyboard action, which is also in the CN37, CN35, and several others.
*The MP11SE (which is a slab-style, requiring a stand) uses the Grand Feel action ("GF").
*The latest CA series (CA79, CA99) use the Grand Feel III action ("GFIII") which many of us love.

*There are also the CA48/49 and CA58/59 which use the Grand Feel Compact ("GFC") action. I can't comment on it, however.

Caveat: EVC2017 states above that he is not certain about Kawai support in Brazil. So, that may be a limiting factor for you.

You can also check the sticky thread for the Piano Actions spreadsheet on Google Drive. It needs a bit of updating but should give you a starting point for all sorts of manufacturers:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cEr2BCEVTaMDBpAE3ZPVKzptWgUDZDzR/view?usp=sharing

(Also, thanks to those who compiled and posted this spreadsheet! I consulted these compilations many times when I was researching).

Previous long-time owner of a Yahama P-120 (and love it) - now has new life with a student
Brand new owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice for small handed player(9th interval max)
by dcbluepiano - 08/14/20 11:43 PM
Roland FP-30 WAV volume vs keyboard volume
by Richard Bruer - 08/14/20 10:57 PM
Yamaha Sound Decay
by Lonnie Bear - 08/14/20 07:44 PM
Experiences with Roland RD-88 (or Yamaha CP88)?
by Karnevil - 08/14/20 07:35 PM
Lord Vinheterio?
by JeanieA - 08/14/20 07:11 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,932
Posts2,991,973
Members98,150
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission