2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
42 members (ChiaraTor, AndyP, Charles Cohen, dcbluepiano, arash mehrad, akc42, alextdel, Animisha, CyberGene, 7 invisible), 347 guests, and 436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bench recommendations?
#2998802 07/04/20 07:29 PM
C
CajunJ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I ordered a Roland FP-30 with stand and I’m looking for benches. Any standard bench should be the proper height, yes? Or should I get an adjustable? I’m looking at stuff on Amazon, but don’t want a piece of junk. Recommendations appreciated!

Re: Bench recommendations?
CajunJ #2998820 07/04/20 08:47 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Many people are fine with a standard bench, but if you are particularly tall or short (or have a long torso, etc.), it doesn't hurt to get an adjustable bench. FWIW, most acoustic pianos are within an inch or so of each other in keyboard height (to the extent that is any kind of "standard") and pianists adjust bench height to compensate for physiological differences.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
CajunJ #2998829 07/04/20 09:07 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, there are common practices. But as Gombessa says, there seem to be no hard standards.

Bench heights vary ... but I have long known what height works for me (19") so I don't need the expense and mechanical complexity of an adjustable bench.

Some people swear by $700 Jansen benches. But I got over twenty years use out of a cheap bench, and replaced it two years ago with another cheap one ... $60-$80 IIRC.

If you insist on real leather then you won't want that. But if vinyl or faux leather suffices, it's good enough.
(Or maybe you want a wood top, with the option of adding your own cushion? They make those ... both the bench and the cushion.)

I don't see much variation in the construction. They all seem to have metal corner braces inside, and the legs bolt onto them. Same old, same old.

So I judge on simple things, like how does it look. I like a bit of style in the legs rather than plain/straight legs. And I like a thickly padded seat for my butt.
There are plenty of choices that fit my needs, and probably plenty that will suit yours.

After all, it's just a bench. It's not hard to find a suitable one, IMO.

Mine was a gift. I had put it on my Amazon wishlist ... but I cannot remember if it was sold by Amazon or somewhere else. Sorry.

CajunJ #2998843 07/04/20 10:03 PM
H
H
I did a lot of research on this and found many pianists prefer stools. So I got a five prong Drs stool, added a nice memory foam pillow. Adjustable too. Now you can’t roll it -still have to practice same technique as on a bench..
I got my digital piano stand in New Orleans. Very beautiful wrought iron w bevel glass 5 feet long .. but about 3 inches too high so the stool adjusts way better than a bench does. Feet still flat etc. I use external rig , no internal speakers, so glass ok.

CajunJ #2998892 07/05/20 02:31 AM
C
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
C
I settled on a "drum throne" -- adjustable height, thick stiff foam. It's mounted on the wheeled base of an old office chair.

A "doctor's stool", with some extra padding, should work OK.

There's lots of ways to skin this cat.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
CajunJ #2998906 07/05/20 04:43 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Get a well padded one. I had a cheap standard Digital Pano bench (you've seen 'em from Yamaha, Roland, Gear for music and even cheaper. The padding is insufficient; after a time you might get thigh problems which could be attributable to other stuff, like running.
That happened to me. Years of hard seats on organs and pianos had taken their toll. I'm ok now.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
CajunJ #2998915 07/05/20 05:49 AM
C
CajunJ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Excellent advice! Thanks everyone

CajunJ #2998990 07/05/20 10:49 AM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by CajunJ
I ordered a Roland FP-30 with stand and I’m looking for benches. Any standard bench should be the proper height, yes? Or should I get an adjustable? I’m looking at stuff on Amazon, but don’t want a piece of junk. Recommendations appreciated!

Take a look at ikea if you do also like stools. I found benches not so practical as I need to move my butt all the time especially if I have my laptop beside me I need to completely sit at the right end and turn right. A stool is more practical.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...alt-23-shop-stool-for-playing-piano.html

And if I ever want to buy a bench I'd get a hydraulic bench.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2660506/hydraulic-piano-bench.html

CajunJ #2999017 07/05/20 11:55 AM
K
K
I was excited about the bench that came with the Kawai DP. But then it quickly caused me some pain. Also, because I am a big guy, I get "saddle numbness" when sitting for long periods on poorly cushioned seats.

I looked at expensive Jansen benches and thought, some day!!

So I grabbed a padded chair from the dining room and have been using it since.

When I played regularly at church, the music minister obtained a very expensive, heavily padded and adjustable bench out of the blue. It was heaven! So those are a luxury.

Finally, I know that James (YouTube 'ThePianoforever') can be a divisive figure on PW, but he did a quick review of an expensive bench vs a cheap bench and his conclusion was that the cheap bench was just fine and a good value:

https://youtu.be/74Cg3UfVLgA

Previous long-time owner of a Yahama P-120 (and love it) - now has new life with a student
Brand new owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
CajunJ #2999170 07/05/20 04:47 PM
C
CajunJ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I’d never even considered a stool, but I see how it makes sense. I’ll also make sure to have plenty padding, regardless of what I pick.

CajunJ #2999172 07/05/20 04:54 PM
S
S
I've not seen young James bench review, but:

1. I am 6 foot 6 inches tall, circa 210 pounds (should be (200...);

2. I own (and love) a HERCULES piano bench. It is 3000 miles East, so I bought a highly respected but cheaper On Stage (the deluxe one). IT IS TOO SQUISHY.

3. So, I bought another HERCULES (taking the On Stage back tomorrow). Ahhh.... It is FIRM CITY - THICK FOAM that does NOT squish! Even at 210 pounds!!!

4. I mentioned my height because the HERCULES is the ONLY bench (of portable, "X" frame ones) that has a "for real" KNOB to adjust the fine measurements - and adds 3.5 inches! So, since I am "all legs," proper fit is difficult. Not with the HERCULES! It fine tunes the space where you are either just a little to high or (in my case) low. Note also that this reduces to zero the normal wobble of setting a bench high - since the height doesn't all have to come from "making taller" the "X" - but rather by the screw / knob mechanism.

$130 versus $70 and worth every penny. And, it looks elegant. Maybe not as much as a $600 whatever the brand is (I forget) that they use at Carnegie Hall, but still....

No, I don't work for Hercules. They DO make really good saxophone stands, too, however...

As to stools, I have (and love) a Roc 'N Roc drum throne; also brilliant and usable for piano (more $$$), but not as good to reach low and high (no sliding) unless you are like me and can just reach (missed my calling as an NBA rebounder with 78" wingspan...).

Last edited by Skyscrapersax; 07/05/20 04:57 PM. Reason: additional content

"Music Is Inherently Evanescent. Once You Play It, It's Gone In The Air" ~ Eric Dolphy

Selmer Mark VI Tenor Saxophone (1973), Selmer Mark VI Alto Saxophone (1956), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Saxophone (1987), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (2013), Kawai 11, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (1969).
Skyscrapersax #2999214 07/05/20 06:57 PM
Now we know why you call yourself Skyscrapersax. smile
Originally Posted by Skyscrapersax
... I am 6 foot 6 inches tall ...

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice for small handed player(9th interval max)
by dcbluepiano - 08/14/20 11:43 PM
Roland FP-30 WAV volume vs keyboard volume
by Richard Bruer - 08/14/20 10:57 PM
Yamaha Sound Decay
by Lonnie Bear - 08/14/20 07:44 PM
Experiences with Roland RD-88 (or Yamaha CP88)?
by Karnevil - 08/14/20 07:35 PM
Lord Vinheterio?
by JeanieA - 08/14/20 07:11 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,932
Posts2,991,969
Members98,150
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission