2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
42 members (Andrew_G, David Boyce, David B, Animisha, b4xter, akc42, beeboss, 14 invisible), 365 guests, and 404 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Headphones - Audio Technica ATH M40x be Sony MDR 7506
#2998372 07/03/20 05:35 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Which headphone has the best sound quality or you can recommend for my Yamaha CVP 805?

Re: Headphones - Audio Technica ATH M40x be Sony MDR 7506
Prestzie #2998378 07/03/20 05:54 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Isn't that like asking which flavor of ice cream is best? I think it's best to try headphones for yourself.

Do you have access to a shop that has phones on demo? I found such at a Guitar Center nearby. They had somewhere around 20 headphones on display for listening.

If you can find something like that give it a try. When it comes to best sound quality your own judgement is best.

Prestzie #2998385 07/03/20 06:25 PM
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Not great advice, I think, putting twenty different headphones on your head these days. I use the Sony’s for mixing and they provide a rather I enhanced sound, IMO. You can find warmer phones with more bass, for sure, but they are an excellent value for the price and found in lots of studios. And they have been produced for years, which says something, I believe.

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
Prestzie #2998402 07/03/20 07:10 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
With headphones, the best thing to do is give us a budget, not restrict our choices to pretty poor options..

Then: Questions...

Closed back (practice with people in room) vs Open back (nobody will be disturbed by a bit of sound leakage).

Then: ote or in ear.

We give you best options, you take advice, maybe try some.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
IosPlayer #2998405 07/03/20 07:16 PM
Yes, a sign of the times ... frown
Originally Posted by IosPlayer
Not great advice, I think, putting twenty different headphones on your head these days.
Here's an alternative ... buy some phones online.
Like 'em? Keep 'em. If not, return them.
From what I've read this is a very common thing.

Perhaps it's why headphones are so expensive?
I mean, really. A bunch of plastic and a couple of teensy weesy 'ducers ... for hundreds of dollars?
Perhaps the high price pays for the frequent returns? Just a guess.

Prestzie #2998426 07/03/20 09:15 PM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
There is no "best sound quality", IMHO. There are some headphones you'll like, and some you won't, and many that you'll find OK. "Fit and comfort" matter, since you'll be wearing them for long practice periods.

The two you mention have both been around for a while (much longer for the Sony). They both have enthusiasts, and they're both designed with "flat frequency response" as a goal.

. . . Flip a coin, and order one.

There's a new "digital edition" of Sound on Sound (a recording and electronic-music magazine). It has a feature article named "Mixing on Headphones". I haven't read it, but it might have some interesting material.

www.soundonsound.com/digital-magazine

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
Prestzie #2998428 07/03/20 09:20 PM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Just noodling around the reviews, both appear to be good, but the ATH's seem like they might have a more natural sound - but even if that's true, if you're not producing music, that's not all that important. One little thing I like about both sets is that they should both produce sufficient volume with smartphones.

Greg

Prestzie #2998431 07/03/20 09:26 PM
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
I think Mac has the solution. SweetWater is great with returns. I did that with the Sony’s and Beyerdynamics. Tho the Beyer’s were highly touted, I preferred the Sony for both sound and comfort. You can always put an equalizer in the chain and tweak your sound (onboard EQ works, too).

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
Prestzie #2998574 07/04/20 09:17 AM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
That's why I don't like asking questions in forums. You need an answer and you get all kinds of irrelevant and sometimes frustrating answers: Preaching.

Maybe he had made his/her decision!

First of all, the frequency response diagram helps a lot specifically if you have worked with enough number of headphones to mix/master songs or performances.

Have you ever heard this phrase: "Honey do what you love?". To me, it sounds like "Buy what your ears like".

You buy the headphones, you start using it and at one point something happens and you realized that you don't like the headphones anymore.

rtings.com is a great place to do a comparison and read about these two headphones.

This s Sony MDR-7506

[Linked Image]

This is AT M40:
[Linked Image]

So by looking at the diagrams, Sony is has a bit less boom to it and very little brighter. Sony has a nice smooth base but there is a subtle pothole. To me, the hump in AT-40 is going to be annoying. It's large and more in the area where I can hear it.

The bass is a tricky frequency range. It's not as compact as the high-frequency range so you'll hear the difference.

I'd describe the AT-40 as boomier.

Construction-wise, I believe MDR-7506 is very cheap. Usually, the headphones last a long time but the drivers' longevity is questionable. The foams will deteriorate very quickly if you're a sweaty person like me. I have tried AT-50 and its construction quality is better than Sony. AT-50 is a very balanced headphones but it suffers in the high's.

*** I own Sony MDR-7506. I haven't tried AT-40.
*** Your ears can actually like a very wrong pair of headphones because of many reasons. Flat freq. response is the standar.

Last edited by Abdol; 07/04/20 09:24 AM.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Prestzie #2998602 07/04/20 10:21 AM
Abdol, some of us realize that specs are irrelevant.

Sometimes specs lie. But even when honestly created they really don't tell you much.

Listening tells me everything.

I don't wear headphones to look at charts. The only thing I do with headphones is listen. Simple.

MacMacMac #2998619 07/04/20 11:07 AM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Abdol, some of us realize that specs are irrelevant.

Sometimes specs lie. But even when honestly created they really don't tell you much.

Listening tells me everything.

I don't wear headphones to look at charts. The only thing I do with headphones is listen. Simple.

Specs don't lie. It's your ears and the wrong perception of good and bad which tricks you.

I hardly can agree with you when you disagree with something scientific. If specs were inaccurate, why companies invest millions of dollars in it?

The frequency response is measurable. Your preference... you can't even measure it. It depends on your mood. e.g. when you read my posts, you might be less eager in hearing a bassy song, as I may kill all the fun with my bitterness. Other times, you might be listening to groovy music and enjoy it in the same set of headphones.

Prestzie #2998623 07/04/20 11:13 AM
Your point makes no sense. Ears are incapable of "wrong perception". They are what they are.

If their response is flat, that's what they hear. If not flat, that's what they hear.
For good or for bad ... like it or not ... our ears are what they are.

If the phones sound good then they are good. If phones sound bad then they are bad.
My good might differ from your good. But it doesn't matter. I only listen to my choice of phones, and you to yours.

Yes, phones are measurable ... and that matters to their designers.
But I listen without looking at a chart. And my "un-measurable" like or dislike needs no chart.

I listen to enjoy. Not to compare my hearing or my phones with what a chart says.

And don't say that specs don't lie. Sure, they don't HAVE TO lie. But they're often designed to lie.
Cheating on stats is rampant. Beware.

Prestzie #2998683 07/04/20 01:10 PM
P
P
I have two pairs of headphones with me right now, closed-back Tascam TH-02 for $20, and much more expensive open AKG K702 for $300, the first came in bundle with the piano, and the second I purchased on my own.

As it comes to the sound of the digital piano, I have very hard time to tell them apart, except for the volume - I play with different volume settings, as K702 is quieter.

Two make a dramatic difference if I watch a movie - K702 creates a better scene due to its open design. K702 is slightly better to listen to the music (not by degree to be 15 times better, but still better).
But for DP - I am afraid I would not tell which is $20 and which is $300 in the blind test and with the volume settings adjusted.

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
Prestzie #2998699 07/04/20 02:03 PM
O
O
I've not tried open-back headphones, however I have a pair of MDR-7506. They were a Christmas present.

I like them... they sound very good to me (not that I've owned any other OTE phones - so I have no idea about the M40x)...

...but I really want to try some open-back headphones - I want to experience more 'spaciousness' when playing. I prefer to play via the on-board speakers for that reason.

So do consider open-back headphones too when shopping around (if sound leakage isn't a consideration/problem).

I'll be keeping the Sonys either way.

Ps You get a lot of cable - so bear that in mind if you want to use them for other purposes (ie listening to music on public transport - it's a PITA).

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
Prestzie #2998750 07/04/20 04:26 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Your point makes no sense. Ears are incapable of "wrong perception". They are what they are.

If their response is flat, that's what they hear. If not flat, that's what they hear.
For good or for bad ... like it or not ... our ears are what they are.

If the phones sound good then they are good. If phones sound bad then they are bad.
My good might differ from your good. But it doesn't matter. I only listen to my choice of phones, and you to yours.

Yes, phones are measurable ... and that matters to their designers.
But I listen without looking at a chart. And my "un-measurable" like or dislike needs no chart.

I listen to enjoy. Not to compare my hearing or my phones with what a chart says.

And don't say that specs don't lie. Sure, they don't HAVE TO lie. But they're often designed to lie.
Cheating on stats is rampant. Beware.

I'm not wrong. Not that I'm selfish but because there is a reason behind what I say and that reason is not proven by me.

Ears don't percept anything. It's your neurons that percept audio. Hearing loss or hearing difficulties is a different story.

Your ears unlike what you think, hear what you want not what you should hear. The sonic illusion is a real thing. You should never trust your ears. You hear things based on your mood, your mindset, and many other factors.

Overall, the reason why flat sound is good, is because you'll most likely hear exactly the way the instrument is recorded and not the way your neurons are used to/like to hear things. After using good flat headphones, you will appreciate them when you listen to music through crappy headphones!

What you say is exactly "Do what you love honey". Coming from the middle east I was exposed to hipsters constantly telling me that "you should do the job you love"... That time I was naive and didn't know how to respond: Ya you like becoming a drug addict... sure you'll enjoy it but is really what you love going to have a positive impact on your life?

The story goes to headphones. The second part which you guys never pay attention to is that sometimes people ask questions with intention and research behind it. Maybe the OP has done the research and is doubtful about these two only.

Sounding good or bad, although varies from person to person, can be regulated. Some people prefer headphones with a lot of bass in them. In general, if you're doing any professional mixing and mastering you shouldn't buy these kinds of headphones. Being flat is a must. It's like the center of the sonic system.

I'm done.

Last edited by Abdol; 07/04/20 04:35 PM.

Prestzie #2998754 07/04/20 04:44 PM
Again, your argument is not relevant. You say that "your ears, unlike what you think, hear what you want not what you should hear. The sonic illusion is a real thing."

I don't doubt that ... but so what? It make no difference about my choice of phones.

I still want headphones that sound good to me. And "sound good to me" is an opinion. My opinion.
You might well prefer different phones ... because your ears tell different lies, causing you to have a different preference.

So if my ears are filthy liars ... well I'm stuck with them. They are what they are. They don't sell replacements.

If my ears are lying ... so what? No chart will dictate my opinion. And I can formulate an opinion without a chart.
Indeed, I cannot formulate an opinion even with a chart. My ears, lying or not, tell all.

Prestzie #2998764 07/04/20 05:31 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
So what? It means that if the freq. response diagram sounds like something your ears don't like, your ears need to be trained and get used to something new.

Prestzie #2998769 07/04/20 05:40 PM
You still don't get it. smile

I don't look at the diagram. I don't need to. Because I use my ears.

My ears don't need to be trained. I either like the sound of phones, or not.

The diagrams don't tell me what to like.
The diagrams are incapable of telling me what to like.

I cannot imagine how you fail to see that.

Prestzie #2998783 07/04/20 06:09 PM
O
O
^^

I'm with MacMacMac on this one.

Perhaps put in more detail:

Depending on age/lifestyle/occupation, different frequencies might be heard slightly differently from one person to the next for starters. There's a normal hearing range... but it's a range, so let's get something that is measurable out of the way first.

Add different headphone amplifiers into the mix (whether on-board, or external)... and different piano sounds/samples from various models/manufacturers...

Heads/ears are shaped differently... ear canals are shaped differently (even on the same person, left/right variance)... So comfort aside, different headphones might fit or work better on different people...

...then add personal taste into the mix.

A headphone bench test is therefore only a representation of how sound is reproduced when measured using equipment (not real ears, with all of the variables above), and doesn't tell you whether or not you might personally like them, whether or not they personally suit/fit your body... and whether they suit your own personal instrument/equipment.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
Prestzie #2998793 07/04/20 07:04 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
I just bought my son (14th birthday) Sennheiser HD 559 ($100) and I must say that I really don't like them for playing the piano. Way too much muddy bass effect compared to my HD 58x Jubilee headphones. The 559's made my beautiful piano samples sound terribly unnatural.

I bought him the 559's because I wanted something less expensive and comfortable. I really like my HD 58x's, but I didn't feel he needed a $180 (with shipping) set of headphones for what he is doing.

It seems to me that for playing the piano the better options are headphones that give a more flat response (The Sony MDR-7506 in the comparison above). Headphones with increased bass response might be good for some types of music or other applications, but IMO, not good for piano.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Completed
Duane Shinn Praise and Gospel Course; In Progress
Duane Shinn Pro Secrets Course; On Hold
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jack(?) clicking
by Keybender - 08/14/20 06:29 AM
Uncomfortable fingering in a book
by Tom97 - 08/14/20 05:16 AM
Beta testers wanted to test new music practice app!
by musicpracticeapp - 08/14/20 02:51 AM
Why are piano sheets for the same song wildly different?
by onaiplatigid - 08/14/20 12:52 AM
Pianodisc help? Repair? Advice?
by Spuds - 08/13/20 11:43 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,910
Posts2,991,610
Members98,139
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission