2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
57 members (achoo42, clothearednincompo, DaKillaGuineaPig, daoc2009, Almaviva, CyberGene, Blague, anotherscott, 15 invisible), 464 guests, and 461 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Perception of the performance
#2998254 07/03/20 01:06 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hello,

I have a question. What is the difference in the way the performer perceives their piece while playing versus the way the audience that is sitting further away perceives it? When I record a piece, while performing it, I sometimes think that it is messy and the melody cannot be heard clearly, but when I listen to the recording, the melody is very clear and it is not nearly as messy as I thought it was.

Last edited by samwitdangol; 07/03/20 01:10 PM.
Re: Perception of the performance
samwitdangol #2998285 07/03/20 02:19 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
When you play for an audience in a hall on an open grand, the sound projects away from you as opposed to playing in small room where the sound bounces back at you. I always find it startling to play in a hall because I feel like I can't hear the piano.

You bring up an interesting point. What we, as pianists, think we hear, is intermingled with our memory of what the music should sound like and our busy inner conversation, (here comes that hard measure, don't forget to use your 2nd finger, don't get too loud, keep the rhythm even, etc.) During a piano lesson, my teacher, a professional performer, asked me what kind of feelings I was putting into the music. I was very surprised he asked because I thought my playing was dripping with feeling. He said that I was not projecting those feelings well at all and I needed to do more. He said you have to put the technique, score, inner dialog and nerves aside and fully listen to hear what the audience is hearing.

Best regards,

Deborah
samwitdangol #2998332 07/03/20 04:14 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
You can find out for yourself by setting up a microphone further away from the piano. The sound is muddier the further you go, for obvious reasons, so you hear less imperfections.

gooddog #2998353 07/03/20 04:49 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by gooddog
He said you have to put the technique, score, inner dialog and nerves aside and fully listen to hear what the audience is hearing.

I am sure this is excellent advice - though perhaps not easy to put into practice! The more so I would imagine, if you are in a hall and hence as you say, you can't hear the piano.

David-G #2998364 07/03/20 05:08 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David-G
Originally Posted by gooddog
He said you have to put the technique, score, inner dialog and nerves aside and fully listen to hear what the audience is hearing.

I am sure this is excellent advice - though perhaps not easy to put into practice! The more so I would imagine, if you are in a hall and hence as you say, you can't hear the piano.
It’s really hard for me to do this when I’m alone in the practice room. I try really hard to just listen but I habitually get caught up in the details. eek

Best regards,

Deborah
samwitdangol #2998390 07/03/20 06:49 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I play somewhat differently these days compared to when I was a student.

Then I was only 'performing' for my teachers and my examiners, who would of course scrutinize what I did at close quarters, in small rooms. Tiny details mattered - rests needed to be observed, every detail of articulation noted, pedalling had to be clean, voicings should be just so etc, etc.

Exam days are now long in the distant past. In the intervening years, I've attended lots of piano recitals by all the greats, including a few who are no longer with us. I realized there is quite a difference between performing for an audience in a hall, compared to playing for one person sitting a few feet away from you. These days, I perform for audiences in a medium-sized hall, and the only criteria that matters is: am I projecting to them what I want them to hear and feel in the music? (Not what I think I'm hearing nor what I'm actually feeling - which could be something completely different).

Therefore, I play using much bolder strokes, with more vivid colors and clearer delineation of bel canto 'vocal' lines. Pedalling through rests, if needed, to sustain the atmosphere, as well as discreetly in passagework to give the warmth (both of which I hardly ever did when I was a student). Voicings more 'extreme', dynamics too. Pastel shades, yes, but only in a few pieces (which I tend to avoid anyway, as they aren't my cup of Earl Grey). Mostly I use primary colors, more Rembrandt than Monet whistle.

The greatest compliment I get is when people come to me afterwards to tell me that they 'experienced' all the shifting moods and emotions in the music - whether it's happiness or sadness, or pensiveness, or an undefinable pathos......or just unbridled joie de vivre; and that they knew what the composer wanted to convey (even if they didn't 'understand' the music - to which my reply is: there is no requirement to understand it - what matters is that they enjoyed the music and it meant something to them).

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
bennevis #2998433 07/03/20 09:48 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
I play somewhat differently these days compared to when I was a student.

Then I was only 'performing' for my teachers and my examiners, who would of course scrutinize what I did at close quarters, in small rooms. Tiny details mattered - rests needed to be observed, every detail of articulation noted, pedalling had to be clean, voicings should be just so etc, etc.

Exam days are now long in the distant past. In the intervening years, I've attended lots of piano recitals by all the greats, including a few who are no longer with us. I realized there is quite a difference between performing for an audience in a hall, compared to playing for one person sitting a few feet away from you. These days, I perform for audiences in a medium-sized hall, and the only criteria that matters is: am I projecting to them what I want them to hear and feel in the music? (Not what I think I'm hearing nor what I'm actually feeling - which could be something completely different).

Therefore, I play using much bolder strokes, with more vivid colors and clearer delineation of bel canto 'vocal' lines. Pedalling through rests, if needed, to sustain the atmosphere, as well as discreetly in passagework to give the warmth (both of which I hardly ever did when I was a student). Voicings more 'extreme', dynamics too. Pastel shades, yes, but only in a few pieces (which I tend to avoid anyway, as they aren't my cup of Earl Grey). Mostly I use primary colors, more Rembrandt than Monet whistle.

The greatest compliment I get is when people come to me afterwards to tell me that they 'experienced' all the shifting moods and emotions in the music - whether it's happiness or sadness, or pensiveness, or an undefinable pathos......or just unbridled joie de vivre; and that they knew what the composer wanted to convey (even if they didn't 'understand' the music - to which my reply is: there is no requirement to understand it - what matters is that they enjoyed the music and it meant something to them).

thumb thumb thumb

Best regards,

Deborah
samwitdangol #2998436 07/03/20 10:10 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Whatever you do and wherever your venue may be, make sure you put at least one Chopin in your program .. which everybody "understands"! :-)

Last edited by newport; 07/03/20 10:11 PM.

Liszt Piano Concerto No. 1
Wieniawski Legende Op.17 (piano)

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
W. Hoffmann (Langlau)
by Lijpe_Tjap - 08/07/20 02:30 PM
rhythm vs beautiful sound/overall effect.
by daoc2009 - 08/07/20 01:08 PM
Sforzandi in Beethoven
by samwitdangol - 08/07/20 11:27 AM
Production Voices - sfz libs are on sale
by VladK - 08/07/20 10:14 AM
Top end digital pianos??
by Chrisgilx - 08/07/20 10:00 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,779
Posts2,989,143
Members98,052
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission