2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by joemama42O
What do you think of using a VST? You are an excellent player but that roland sounds a tad bit mellow in the higher octaves...

And .... your credentials as a piano tone critic are ???

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
dmd #2997609 07/01/20 03:24 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by dmd
What do you think of using a VST? You are an excellent player but that roland sounds a tad bit mellow in the higher octaves...

I've played a grand piano and the Roland sound is off. He could adjust some settings? I'm just trying to be helpful.

Finally bought the P515
dmd #2997623 07/01/20 03:59 PM
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by dmd
I do not believe this is what the OP was demonstrating.

I think the OP indicated that what he was demonstrating was not LEDs telling the user which key to press next ....

Right, what you are describing is what is commonly called a "reactive visualizer" or "LED piano visualizer". And once you have the LEDs above or integrated into the the keys and triggered on midi input from the keyboard for real-time play, it should be absolutely trivial to have them trigger on midi input from a file for note following (it's really the same thing). In fact I bet most if not all of these keyboards can do exactly that.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by dmd
I do not believe this is what the OP was demonstrating.

I think the OP indicated that what he was demonstrating was not LEDs telling the user which key to press next ....

Right, what you are describing is what is commonly called a "reactive visualizer" or "LED piano visualizer". And once you have the LEDs above or integrated into the the keys and triggered on midi input from the keyboard for real-time play, it should be absolutely trivial to have them trigger on midi input from a file for note following (it's really the same thing). In fact I bet most if not all of these keyboards can do exactly that.

So when "Mac" said this ....

I notice that you cannot get this feature from Kawai, or Yamaha, or Casio, or Roland, or Korg, or Nord, or Dexibell. I wonder why?

He is completely mis-informed on the subject ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
dmd #2997654 07/01/20 06:30 PM
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by dmd
So when "Mac" said this ....

I notice that you cannot get this feature from Kawai, or Yamaha, or Casio, or Roland, or Korg, or Nord, or Dexibell. I wonder why?

He is completely mis-informed on the subject ?

I mean, if you really have to put it abrasively...? Mac is in a different target market. These features are popular enough for multiple manufacturers to support on various models, but they tend to be more on lower end devices than the high end consoles/hybrids Mac seems to be interested in. You won't find light up keys on an AvantGrand, but you will find them in DP/keyboard products from Yamaha, Casio, and others.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
As for the Roland-with-lights piano featured in the opening video ... I noticed the lights.
I just assumed they were a clever aftermarket addition, possibly one of those Arduino specials or a CyberGene inspired original.
I didn't notice that they were "original equipment".

That aside ... I was not aware of ANY piano that came with such lights, save for the $200-$300 crapola pianos (so-called!) that I've seen at appliance stores, Wal Mart, Sams Club, and the like.

As I recall one of those was a Yamaha. Shame on them for selling such crap.
BTW, not crappy because of the lights. Crappy because the keys were so light I suspect they'd break after three or four key presses.

Shame on Yamaha for making such crap!
If you've ever seen one of these you'll know that crappy is a generously favorable description.

I presume that the Roland in that video is not of that ilk, right?

P
OP Offline
P

Yes, you are absolutely right joemama420,
If I invest time and money, and buy a fast computer with dedicated SSD drive, a MIDI software to record and playback and a top of the line VST like the "Garritan CFX Full", I agree with you, the piano sound will be a bit better.

Last edited by Piano Luminescent; 07/02/20 09:36 AM.
K
K
Originally Posted by Piano Luminescent
Yes, great, what details are you looking for, the electronic hardware or the programmation coding implementation?
Here the basic,

Hardware:
Raspberry Pi Zero, Serial Peripheral Interface, 8GB Micro SD Card Memory, Arduino Nano board, 2x Neopixels LEDs strips,
Resistors, USB cable, 2x 5V 3A Power Supply.

Software:
Raspberry Pi Raspbian operating system
Raspberry Pi Imager
Python program and Codes
MIDI libraries
Arduino IDE programming tool
Neopixel libraries

Oooh, we need a blog article with details! smile

So you are using the Neopixels LED strips. How did you affix them to your piano? Where did you stuff the wires back to the Arduino Nano?

And is there 1 LED for each note, or, do you light up an LED that is "close to" the played note?

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
J
J
It would be nice if you could have the colors fade as you hold the keys, but when you release the colors fade very quickly.

Finally bought the P515
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by kimby
So you are using the Neopixels LED strips. How did you affix them to your piano? Where did you stuff the wires back to the Arduino Nano?

And is there 1 LED for each note, or, do you light up an LED that is "close to" the played note?
Q: LED strips. How did you I affix them to your piano
A: The strips have a sticky backing

Q: Where did you stuff the wires back to the Arduino Nano?
A: At the left of the piano under the horizontal fallboard, then into the piano.

And yes, there 1 LED for each note.

K
K
Q: Where did you stuff the wires back to the Arduino Nano?
A: At the left of the piano under the horizontal fallboard, then into the piano.

Oooh - so you actually took apart the DP's chassis and put the bits inside.

Did you place the Raspberry Pi on the outside of the piano, maybe at the back? For power, perhaps MIDI, and to access the SD card for changes?

And yes, there 1 LED for each note.

That is quite a thing! But I guess from a software perspective, it would be easier deal with note-for-note than some sort of "proximity" scheme.

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by kimby
That is quite a thing! But I guess from a software perspective, it would be easier deal with note-for-note than some sort of "proximity" scheme.

You have good eyes Kimby. Yes, I took apart the piano top cover and place all the electronic inside.

The LEDs lights schemes has two logic circuits:
The Raspberry PI produce the Note by Note LEDs scheme
and the Arduino board produce the Proximity lights strip scheme, locate above the Note by Note LEDs strip.

If you replay the first video of this thread "I Will Wait for You", you will see the two schemes in action.
And, the second video "Marriage d"Amour" use only the Note by Note logic scheme.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
If you replay the first video of this thread "I Will Wait for You", you will see the two schemes in action.
And, the second video "Marriage d"Amour" use only the Note by Note logic scheme.

Oh, I didn't notice you had two strips going, I thought it was just bleedthrough from one strip. That's definitely a nice effect.

I thought you were using the pi as a controller because maybe the Arduino library didn't support midi.

When I was working with neopixels, I learned the Arduinos had so little ram that it was hard to get really long strips going using the default library, but there were ways to get around it programmatically. I assume you had no problem with 88 LEDs?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
P
OP Offline
P
I thought you were using the pi as a controller because maybe the Arduino library didn't support midi.

You know your stuff Gombessa! Yes, the PI process the MIDI data and the Arduino process the AUDIO output velocity level.

The MIDI strip has 179 LEDs but only the LEDs exactly in front of the keys are use and light up.

M
M
But why use a arduino? The pi is powerful enough to handle the leds too. You only need 1 or 2 io pins.
Or are you depending on the FastLed or Neopixel library?

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Oh, I didn't notice you had two strips going, I thought it was just bleedthrough from one strip. That's definitely a nice effect.

When I was working with neopixels, I learned the Arduinos had so little ram that it was hard to get really long strips going using the default library, but there were ways to get around it programmatically. I assume you had no problem with 88 LEDs?

Any thoughts on where an LED strip might be installed and concealed on an NV10? I guess it could go behind the fallboard, but the black felt on the keys might dampen the effect... though that might not be such a bad thing.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by mrroland
But why use a arduino? The pi is powerful enough to handle the leds too. You only need 1 or 2 io pins.
Or are you depending on the FastLed or Neopixel library?
The PI process the MIDI data and the first LEDs strip
And the Arduino via the Neopixel library, process the AUDIO and the second LEDs strip

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by navindra
Any thoughts on where an LED strip might be installed and concealed on an NV10? I guess it could go behind the fallboard, but the black felt on the keys might dampen the effect... though that might not be such a bad thing.

Good question. I'm sure someone on YT has a visualizer on an acoustic...

I would think the easiest would be to mount the LEDs on a board and place it against the fallboard (you want to be able to adjust the height of the LEDs for maximum effect, so trying to hide them under the felt would seem limiting). You could also remove the fallboard entirely, which gives you more than enough space to play with placement behind the keys. Just guessing...

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Good question. I'm sure someone on YT has a visualizer on an acoustic...

I would think the easiest would be to mount the LEDs on a board and place it against the fallboard (you want to be able to adjust the height of the LEDs for maximum effect, so trying to hide them under the felt would seem limiting). You could also remove the fallboard entirely, which gives you more than enough space to play with placement behind the keys. Just guessing...

I kind of like the subtle effect of Piano Luminescent's secondary strip, but I agree that hiding it behind the fallboard would probably kill the effect entirely.

Now that I think about it, when the lid is open, the top part of it provides a nice edge to temporarily affix an LED strip and be out of sight... the light would shine straight down onto the keys.

dmd #2998071 07/02/20 10:38 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd

What credentials are necessary to express an opinion on the sound of a piano?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission