2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 116 1 2 3 4 5 115 116
9190 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
the GrandTouch-S which probably omits mechanical luxuries (from the specs it seems the GrandTouch-S doesn't contain wood, for instance)

Wood is mentioned in description:

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyr
404 Excitement not found.

Most improvements in the CLP series are incremental. Then I didn’t expect to be so much excited. We had some important steps (get rid of AWM, wooden keyboard, LCD display instead of 3 digits LED), be can’t expect to have something important every 3 years and surely not in every domains at the same time.

Low budgets will be interested by the GH3X/GrandTouch-S substitution, higher budgets by the transducers, we also have binaural Bösendorfer... then several little evolutions which will not make many people to sell their CLP6xx to upgrade their piano, but will be appreciated by new buyers.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 07/01/20 11:49 AM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
On the comparison spec section the 735 is the only one listed without having wood in the key description which led me think this is for all the S-keys. But probably it’s not that. Or they can make two variants - with wood or with plastic core.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
On the comparison spec section the 735 is the only one listed without having wood in the key description which led me think this is for all the S-keys. But probably it’s not that. Or they can make two variants - with wood or with plastic core.

Two variants with the same name would be weird, be the description looks like it this the case.

We already had some variant of the GH keyboard (linear graded hammer, and the “original” one)

Last edited by Frédéric L; 07/01/20 11:57 AM.

Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Did anyone figure out what the transducers are doing?
On the original AG transducers are used for key vibration (TRS).

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Transducers are introduced in the speaker line of the specs. I would interpret something like the CA99, but we can be surprised that Yamaha doesn’t tell a lot of thing about them.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Surely, there is no soundboard needin’ some vibratin’, or is there?
Or could there be some sort of ‘mini-board’ like the one used on the N3/X?

K
K
Good to see some more objective comments instead of all the negativity which is simply paralysis by analysis.
Prices released in the UK seem a little high compared to the competition, but no doubt discounts will emerge in a few months.
For those who are not enamoured by the ‘antique’ control panel, just get the Smart Pianist app. It provides a brilliant interface with the piano, so thumbs up to Yamaha. All the other main manufacturers have wisely followed Yamaha’s lead!!

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Just browsed through the product info again and realised there's 'Grand Expression Modeling' and 'Grand Acoustic Imaging'. These are something new right?

H
H
I think Grandtouch-S is just the same with NWX but with offset pivot points for the black keys. I'm excited to see how the Grand Expression Modeling works. If it does well, it would greatly benefit players that work with the different nuances in touch and sound.

Classical Pianist in training. Jazz enthusiast.
H
H
From what I've been taught, there are four extremes on how you touch a keyboard: Fast-Light, Fast-Heavy, Slow-Light, Slow-heavy. And then there are infinite possibilities within, much like Yamaha's visual graph. I don't know how current keyboard sensor works but it sounds like they only read 2 extremes of touches. Whether it's fast, slow, light or heavy, it's never the combination of 2. This Grand Expression Modeling could be a game changer if it really works.

Classical Pianist in training. Jazz enthusiast.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Is the Grand Expression Modeling anything like the Grand Prix Modeling?
If so, I’m gonna have to send it back!

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Pete14
Is the Grand Expression Modeling anything like the Grand Prix Modeling?
If so, I’m gonna have to send it back!

Which Scale Model size of Grand Prix are you talking about. I heard through the grape-vine the 1/18 scale models don't have this feature but the 1/12 scale models do. Now you got me worried Pete LOL

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
H
H
Thanks for the info guys.

I was hoping for a lighter key action in the 775 as when I tried the 675 it was too stiff for me.
However, taken from Bonners site I did read this though:

"Yamaha 'GrandTouch' keyboard first appeared on the older generation CLP675 and CLP685 models. The manufacturer has listened to feedback from consumers and musicians and made some modifications to further improve the piano-like experience of this wonderful keyboard."

https://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/yamaha-clp775wa-clavinova-digital-piano-white-ash.ir

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's not "paralysis by analysis". It's "same old same old" and "deja vu all over again".
Originally Posted by kpuk
Good to see some more objective comments instead of all the negativity which is simply paralysis by analysis.
The sun rose today. In the east. It was yellow. I don't expect it will be any different tomorrow, right?

Substitute "piano business" for "sun" ... and it's all the same. Time after time. Not much changes.

Ho hum. Yawn. 404.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think the « déjà vu » syndrome is common to all digital piano brands excepted when a new kind of Series appear (Casio GP, Yamaha CSP...) this is not common. I don’t understand why there is such a thread about Yamaha and not Roland, Kawai or others. As I have said many times, digital piano progress is quite slow. But there is a steady progress : my CLP150 from 2002 is very inferior than today’s pianos, in every aspect. All the progresses (keyboard, tone generator, display, USB drive support, WAV recording...) has been introduced at different time. Now we have a set of progress and I don’t think they are so inferior than those of the previous years. Ok, wooden keyboard and the replacement of AWM where huge compared to others... but you can’t expect a revolution every 3 years, or you will must be disappointed everytime.

You also have to consider diminishing returns. Getting rid of AWM will surely have an impact more important than later progress. The next major improvement is unlooped samples... but who knows when it will come.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 07/01/20 03:00 PM.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Okay, now I’m intrigued: Yamaha makes no mention of any ‘modifications’ to the GrandTouch, but Bonners explicitly states “GrandTouch ‘improved’ Keyboard”.

Is it or is it not modified/improved? Is Bonners the unofficial spokesperson for Yamaha?

What gives?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
@Pete14 : Unfortunately, will have to wait for a long time before CLP675 service manual to leak on the Web. (I have only found the CLP575...) then, it will be hard to detect if some parts have been changed.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I think you forget something important. Unlike Kawai, Yamaha never announce small changes in their keyboard actions. We've discussed how GH was their main digital action for many years without Yamaha announcing any changes/improvements/fixes while it was confirmed it went through various upgrades.

Compare that to Kawai who say: we improved this and that, we fixed the faulty teflon tape capstan in GF2, we improved the mushy feeling cushioning, etc. And then if you're an existing customer you might get a bit mad since you own the old action which Kawai themselves admitted was suboptimal.

Yamaha play the other game. They imply the action was perfect since the beginning therefore it didn't require changes wink Yet it's changed.

Last edited by CyberGene; 07/01/20 03:46 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
@CyberGene : Read from Kawai-global.com : the CA99 combines a new keyboard action with improved digital piano technology to create uncompromising touch and tone.

Ok, it is not “perfect”, but uncompromised ! The site doesn’t decline all improvement but just sum up them by “ the upgraded Grand Feel III keyboard action”.

Then, if I understand well, what is reproached from Yamaha is not that they hasn’t made a quantum leap (it was my perception), but just that they doesn’t communicate on any little tiny improvements.

I think that all brands are just evaluated by actual buyers which vote with heir wallet after trying the real thing in a shop. From what I know (but only with 2 years old DP tried in a shop), Yamaha is quite competitive. What is claimed in a brochure or whatever else doesn’t count, I just trust my fingers and my ears.

Page 3 of 116 1 2 3 4 5 115 116

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission