2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
I just cleaned my piano today. It was already cleaned when I got it a few months ago. It was just dust after a few months sitting in my living room. So my cleaning was very quick and not any kind of extensive cleaning, i.e. dusting, vacuuming, and cleaning case, soundboard, strings, keyboard, etc. I was kind surprised that the piano sounded clearer, crisper, and more powerful.

Is it always the case with cleaning pianos in general, i.e. the piano sounds better after the cleaning?

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,

Is it always the case with cleaning pianos in general, i.e. the piano sounds better after the cleaning?[/quote]

Without a doubt. The enhancement wrought by Hoover and schmatte will always evoke a more dulcet tone and voice. Euphonious improvement walks hand in hand with cleanliness. What begrimed child is not more lovable after the bath's purification?

The same applies to the bride, whose nuptial mien is dramatically vitalized by the shampoo and rouge before being adorned with the matrimonial appurtenances.

Was there ever an sedan that failed to drive more smoothly when freshly Simonized? Or, shoes that were not quieter and more comfortable for the recent application of polish?

Our senses, though discrete, are rarely disparate, and the rewards of the eye will often enrich those of the ear.
Regards,

G
G
😂My kids have been singing a song with a lyric “Simonize your baby with a Hershey’s candy bar...” I had to ask my dad (in his 60s) what Simonize meant and now here it is again. I have wondered about this myself. Our new old piano arrives on Thursday and even though it looks immaculate I’ve been planning to clean it. It never occurred to me that vacuuming might improve the sound (outside of a scenario where the instrument is really thoroughly dirty.)

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ed Foote
Greetings,

Is it always the case with cleaning pianos in general, i.e. the piano sounds better after the cleaning?

Without a doubt. The enhancement wrought by Hoover and schmatte will always evoke a more dulcet tone and voice. Euphonious improvement walks hand in hand with cleanliness. What begrimed child is not more lovable after the bath's purification?

The same applies to the bride, whose nuptial mien is dramatically vitalized by the shampoo and rouge before being adorned with the matrimonial appurtenances.

Was there ever an sedan that failed to drive more smoothly when freshly Simonized? Or, shoes that were not quieter and more comfortable for the recent application of polish?

Our senses, though discrete, are rarely disparate, and the rewards of the eye will often enrich those of the ear.
Regards,[/quote]HAHAHAHA

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Lovely prose Ed. There was me thinking my piano needed tuning when it just needs a clean - I'd better cancel the tuner's visit smartish.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

The same applies to the bride...
And here I was, for just a minute, thinking that brides needed a quick vacuuming before they were rolled down the nave.

Last edited by Maestro Lennie; 07/01/20 08:50 AM.
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Boy oh boy. This thread makes it clear I’m old and going deaf. I know and remember the expression “simonize” and I never noticed any difference in the sound of my pianos after their weekly dusting. My vehicles don’t drive any different after the car wash. I really noticed a difference after I finally got my tuned last week but it was very out of tune when the tech came.

Maybe I’m not using the appropriate dusting or car washing apparatus? wink

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
D
OP Offline
D
you guys are just fun !! smile

I hope it was not my imagination because I can forget dreaming about the Yamaha CFX. All I need to do is to give my piano daily cleaning and pocket the saving !! smile

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by DreamPiano80
you guys are just fun !! smile

I hope it was not my imagination because I can forget dreaming about the Yamaha CFX. All I need to do is to give my piano daily cleaning and pocket the saving !! smile

Just make sure that you do it with Simoniz!

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I did mine with Turtle wax...and now the action feels slow.

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by guyl
I did mine with Turtle wax...and now the action feels slow.

that makes sense as you used the wrong lube !! lol smile

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
It depends on the piano and whether one cleans the piano and/or their ears. Some pianos sound much better when the sound is filtered through an accumulation of wax!

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
It depends on the piano and whether one cleans the piano and/or their ears. Some pianos sound much better when the sound is filtered through an accumulation of wax!
This is no joke. My BB sometimes sounds too loud right after I visit my ENT doctor. And my AC sounds like a jet taking off for a while.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Ed Foote
Greetings,

Regards,[/quote]

An A++ for Ed! A great post.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission