2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
42 members (Burkey, DigitalSpace, 1957, accordeur, dhull100, Cutec, Back Room Studio, 14 invisible), 456 guests, and 427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Magnetic Actions
kenny #2992607 06/18/20 08:28 AM
G
G
Reopening a VERY old thread, but, the adjustment part is only part of the benefit isn't it, the other part being a much faster more responsive action.

So is there a reason why other piano makers have not made use of this for their upright actions? Presumably, a non adjustable version of the MBA would not be very much more expensive to produce that a conventional action, unless the Royalties on the patent are very expensive?

kenny #2992812 06/19/20 01:30 AM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I have a Stanwood magnetic action on my piano, and it changed a very good action into a supercharged action with exceptional responsiveness. The system has individual adjustable magnets on each key so that touch can be modified in 88 different ways.

Since every key had to be worked on to install the magnets, and if I remember remove some lead, I think the answer to your question is that the manufacturers who install these systems do not make their hammers. Fazioli relies on Abel or Renner, for example. That makes the magnetic system a bespoke production.

Now if Abel or Renner introduced a magnetic system as a product line, there might be more usage. You could buy a set of hammers with magnets as opposed to lead. But here too, you would still need a technician to install the magnetic rails on the key bed. In the case of the Stanwood system, there is further adjustment by the technician required so that the ultimate responsiveness matches Stanwood's calculations to produce as frictionless an action as possible.

The magnetic action system is a marriage between the companies which produce pianos, and the companies which produce hammers. Because you need both willing to put in the work with the right technical knowledge to install a magnetic action, this type of refinement is not likely to be widely adopted.

Numerian #2992903 06/19/20 09:30 AM
G
G
Originally Posted by Numerian
I have a Stanwood magnetic action on my piano, and it changed a very good action into a supercharged action with exceptional responsiveness. The system has individual adjustable magnets on each key so that touch can be modified in 88 different ways.

Since every key had to be worked on to install the magnets, and if I remember remove some lead, I think the answer to your question is that the manufacturers who install these systems do not make their hammers. Fazioli relies on Abel or Renner, for example. That makes the magnetic system a bespoke production.

Now if Abel or Renner introduced a magnetic system as a product line, there might be more usage. You could buy a set of hammers with magnets as opposed to lead. But here too, you would still need a technician to install the magnetic rails on the key bed. In the case of the Stanwood system, there is further adjustment by the technician required so that the ultimate responsiveness matches Stanwood's calculations to produce as frictionless an action as possible.

The magnetic action system is a marriage between the companies which produce pianos, and the companies which produce hammers. Because you need both willing to put in the work with the right technical knowledge to install a magnetic action, this type of refinement is not likely to be widely adopted.

Thanks, that's very interesting!

Presumably, makers like Yamaha or Kawai make their own hammers and could design and sell magnetic actions on their instruments if they wanted to, depending on whether they could calibrate or adjust the actions sufficiently cost effectively, maybe using a technological method that wasn't labour intensive?

kenny #2993625 06/21/20 05:10 AM
K
K
This is probably because it´s a really conservative market... but I´ve always wondered why wooden and felt actions are almost considered sacrosanct.
Wood was the best available material at the time when the piano was invented. Of course the acoustics are now really well understood but I can´t help but wonder what kind of responsiveness and sound we could get from a piano-like instrument designed and manufactured with the most modern materials available. Carbon fiber, magnetic elements, ... I bet there´s material somewhere that has amazing acoustic properties but is used in entirely different industries...

Keybender #2993953 06/22/20 06:08 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Keybender
I bet there´s material somewhere that has amazing acoustic properties but is used in entirely different industries...

Possibly. But to have 'amazing acoustic properties' those properties must by definition be very different to felt and therefore must sound very different to felt. I don't think the world generally wants a piano that doesn't sound 'like a piano sounds'.

Now if someone finds a material that doesn't have different acoustic properties to felt but with different mechanical properties such as not changing with time and usage or humidity and is cheaper to produce and use as well, then it might succeed. Or not, this is a conservative industry after all.

Last edited by gwing; 06/22/20 06:10 AM.
gwing #2996953 06/30/20 06:35 AM
G
G
Originally Posted by gwing
I bet there´s material somewhere that has amazing acoustic properties but is used in entirely different industries...

Now if someone finds a material that doesn't have different acoustic properties to felt but with different mechanical properties such as not changing with time and usage or humidity and is cheaper to produce and use as well, then it might succeed. Or not, this is a conservative industry after all.

Isn't this what Kawai has done in its acoustic and hybrid piano actions, using carbon fibre and ABS to replace wood for exactly these reasons, as well as claimed lightness and responsiveness in their actions?

That's why I'm surprised that Kawai in particular haven't included a magnetic element in any of their actions.

Just a tangential thought though. Magnets used to need a "keeper" or lose their power after a while. Maybe this has been overcome with new materials, but that would be a problemswith aging of magnetic actions otherwise, wouldn't it. Is this a factor in practice?

Geoff G UK #2997021 06/30/20 11:08 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Geoff G UK

Isn't this what Kawai has done in its acoustic and hybrid piano actions, using carbon fibre and ABS to replace wood for exactly these reasons, as well as claimed lightness and responsiveness in their actions?

That's why I'm surprised that Kawai in particular haven't included a magnetic element in any of their actions.

Just a tangential thought though. Magnets used to need a "keeper" or lose their power after a while. Maybe this has been overcome with new materials, but that would be a problemswith aging of magnetic actions otherwise, wouldn't it. Is this a factor in practice?

There is the question of patents to consider so there may possibly be difficulties for Kawai or others to introduce magnets. That said Kawai are possibly in the best position to introduce them as they could presumably be included withing their ABS/carbon mouldings as part of the production process more easily than drilling wood and locating each one. However they are possibly also in the worst position as changing those moulds would be a very expensive proposition and so not worth doing until they are very sure it is is worthwhile.

Geoff G UK #2997249 06/30/20 08:51 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

Kawai actions have never been considered "light". More on the weightier side. "Responsiveness" is a subjective matter. The only metric that is beyond dispute is the dimensional stability, and therefore consistency of CF/ABS, relative to wood.

ando #2997363 07/01/20 04:09 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ando

Kawai actions have never been considered "light". More on the weightier side. "Responsiveness" is a subjective matter. The only metric that is beyond dispute is the dimensional stability, and therefore consistency of CF/ABS, relative to wood.

Well I consider my Kawai action 'light'. Maybe it isn't if you measure the static weight on the keys but when I play it it feels light which I feel is the proper measure.

kenny #2997618 07/01/20 03:42 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Lead has been used all these years because it is cheap, easily worked with, and (until recently) no environmental restrictions placed on it. Most pianists are used to the feel of a lead balanced action. When everything is "RIGHT" not that much lead is actually needed. However, doing things RIGHT is usually expensive and therefore lead can compensate for poor design and execution pretty well. It's all about profit in the end. Those unwilling to pay a premium price vastly outnumber those willing and able to. You just have to do the math. If a manufacturer insists on doing only the BEST thing they likely will not remain in the marketplace. They have to compromise.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning Pins Glued....now wait...how long?
by Duaner - 10/21/20 07:32 PM
Selling Kawai ES110
by Cutec - 10/21/20 12:26 PM
Teaching a four-year-old, online!
by Gal Friday - 10/21/20 11:43 AM
Korg NH detail
by Myon - 10/21/20 11:40 AM
Old vs new
by ZootHornRollo - 10/21/20 10:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,340
Posts3,015,873
Members98,974
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission