2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
53 members (accordeur, akressevich, 1957, 3B43, c++, 16 invisible), 422 guests, and 405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Buying piano overseas , help me decide
Michel-Violin-Pian #2997204 06/30/20 06:21 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Don't buy an FP30 until you try it first. It's a very heavy action, not suitable for everyone. You must try playing fast pieces on it before making the decision if you can handle the weight. 60-65 grams doesn't sound like much, but add that up across hundreds of notes, and chords it's suddenly alot.

Michel-Violin-Pian #2997525 07/01/20 11:24 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I actually prefer heavy action , that's why I considered this model
Though if we have kawais in here I would definitely go for es8
Sadly no kawais here at all

Michel-Violin-Pian #2997589 07/01/20 02:34 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Michel-Violin-Pian

There are different kinds of Heavy. The force curve is extremely dissimilar to real pianos. and it's very fatiguing to play. TRY IT first.

jeffcat #2997791 07/02/20 09:24 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by jeffcat

There are different kinds of Heavy. The force curve is extremely dissimilar to real pianos. and it's very fatiguing to play. TRY IT first.

Will do that , warning well noted

Michel-Violin-Pian #2997964 07/02/20 05:46 PM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
After lot's of thought I think I'm gonna buy a digital (though I hate them) , sadly we don't have the good kawai here.
After all I'm not a pianist I'm a violinist and piano enthusiast.
As for the Yamaha u1 it's only New and it's like 5 times my budget 😢

A digital is probably the least risky proposition.
I can understand that it might not be ideal.
And I do admire your vision, and willingness to think big!

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see
~Mark Twain
Michel-Violin-Pian #2998597 07/04/20 10:13 AM
D
D
Michel,
It's so sad that you have to jump through so many hoops to get a decent instrument. I like your determination!

At the risk of sounding stupid in giving you "obvious" advice here are a few suggestions:

1) digital: when I was on the marked for one, after having carefully studied specs, reviews and what people here on this forum wrote, I thought that the Kawai ES100 would have been good, the ES8 would have been great and the Casio Privia PX150 would have been decent. After I tried them, the Priva was good, the ES100 was bad and the ES8 was horrible. I ended up with an used Kawai CA750 which was great, and I then updated to a (also used) Yamaha NU1 which is fantastic. You may have a different experience, but as other have said, what you read on paper (screen) sometimes is very different from what you experience, especially but not only with digital. As I background, my main instrument is an acoustic piano, the digital is secondary.

2) buying oversee: kudos for the boldness. Given high expenses in shipping, I suggest discussing with the various piano technicians you mentioned if they know somebody who did it in the past. They may have learned "the hard way" something useful, e.g. an additional undocumented tax to pay. You may also discuss if there is anybody willing to buy an instrument with you this way: the shipping costs and the bargaining power with the seller may be better.

3) If you have not already, consider https://www.thomannmusic.com/ -- they do a lot of worldwide shipping! What they have available for shipping to you might be out of your budget (I think their cheapest new acoustic piano is euro 2800), but you can still email them and ask. They may have experience with the shipping to your place, import duties etc and may give good advice you. For example, is the hefty 55% levied on both new and used instruments? Moreover, I think they carry used instrument, but they may not have them on the website because people want to try them in person, so they tell that option only to walk-ins -- it's worth asking if you don't see these instruments online.

As I said, just my $0.02

I wish you the best!
D.

Michel-Violin-Pian #2998631 07/04/20 11:29 AM
L
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
L
If you bought overseas of course Italy is perhaps also nearest if you are thinking of Europe.
South Africa is an option and perhaps cheaper.But I would suggest a dealer because there is a lot of crime and you may be be scammed.It never used to be like that there but now is a fact of life.
If you look online for KLAVIANO it may point you to available pianos world wide.,new and used. I think that is how you spell it. It is mainly accoustic pianos though.

Del Vento #2999940 07/07/20 03:04 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Del Vento
Michel,
It's so sad that you have to jump through so many hoops to get a decent instrument. I like your determination!

At the risk of sounding stupid in giving you "obvious" advice here are a few suggestions:

1) digital: when I was on the marked for one, after having carefully studied specs, reviews and what people here on this forum wrote, I thought that the Kawai ES100 would have been good, the ES8 would have been great and the Casio Privia PX150 would have been decent. After I tried them, the Priva was good, the ES100 was bad and the ES8 was horrible. I ended up with an used Kawai CA750 which was great, and I then updated to a (also used) Yamaha NU1 which is fantastic. You may have a different experience, but as other have said, what you read on paper (screen) sometimes is very different from what you experience, especially but not only with digital. As I background, my main instrument is an acoustic piano, the digital is secondary.

2) buying oversee: kudos for the boldness. Given high expenses in shipping, I suggest discussing with the various piano technicians you mentioned if they know somebody who did it in the past. They may have learned "the hard way" something useful, e.g. an additional undocumented tax to pay. You may also discuss if there is anybody willing to buy an instrument with you this way: the shipping costs and the bargaining power with the seller may be better.

3) If you have not already, consider https://www.thomannmusic.com/ -- they do a lot of worldwide shipping! What they have available for shipping to you might be out of your budget (I think their cheapest new acoustic piano is euro 2800), but you can still email them and ask. They may have experience with the shipping to your place, import duties etc and may give good advice you. For example, is the hefty 55% levied on both new and used instruments? Moreover, I think they carry used instrument, but they may not have them on the website because people want to try them in person, so they tell that option only to walk-ins -- it's worth asking if you don't see these instruments online.

As I said, just my $0.02

I wish you the best!
D.

Thanks for the many good advice and your wishes 😊

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning Pins Glued....now wait...how long?
by Duaner - 10/21/20 07:32 PM
Selling Kawai ES110
by Cutec - 10/21/20 12:26 PM
Teaching a four-year-old, online!
by Gal Friday - 10/21/20 11:43 AM
Korg NH detail
by Myon - 10/21/20 11:40 AM
Old vs new
by ZootHornRollo - 10/21/20 10:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,340
Posts3,015,860
Members98,974
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission