2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 143 of 237 1 2 141 142 143 144 145 236 237
D
D
Excellent bang for the buck smile

Did you check the software version? Shall be V2.1 to avoid troubles with loud notes.

Didn't you mention in an earlier post that you already had a NU1X for one week or so?

Just playing my NU1X.
And love it. Cheers!
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by dima5222
Excellent bang for the buck smile

Did you check the software version? Shall be V2.1 to avoid troubles with loud notes.

Didn't you mention in an earlier post that you already had a NU1X for one week or so?
You might have mistaken me for another person!

I'll check the software version as soon as I receive it smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Just discovered something new (for me).

I don't often play through speakers but when I do, I do quiet wink Indeed, I have a neighbor who is a pain in the a** and he complains, so I prefer headphones and also I tend to play at night. But 3 months of working from home and I started using the piano during the day to relax between my work related tasks, hence started to explore the sound through speakers more.

And so I experimented turning on/off the IAC (Intelligent Acoustic Control). And what a change! Seems like this function is by default on and boosts the bass and the treble when playing quieter. I'm not playing very quiet, maybe just a tiny bit quieter than what would be a very loud and full sound but I guess the IAC was already applying the smiley curve. But without the IAC things are more natural and I think it's not a subtle difference. Especially on the Bösendorfer patch which now feels so good, on par with the CFX. Previously I thought I slightly preferred the CFX, but now, after I switched IAC off and play through speakers, I think the two are equal. Also, with IAC off, to me patch no.4 (a brighter version of Bösendorfer) sounds a bit unnatural and more like an EQ-ed versions, which it is.

So, I'd say, try turning IAC on and off and see whether that changes things for you and how. You press function + lowest C key repeatedly and the screen will display "ON" or "OFF". There are also some settings for the depth of the effect when ON, but I think I like it totally off. Luckily it's a setting that's preserved across piano restarts.

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/24/20 11:16 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Great findings and will definitely try it! I was also playing N3X with the speakers more recently and found the speaker CFX sound and the binaural CFX sound are totally different although they may come from the same sample session.

I found that the binaural sampling works well out of the box. While playing with speaker I feel it’s best to adjust the touch sensitivity from 2 to 1 (light) and it feels more natural and closer to an acoustic grand. While using headphone with touch sensitivity 1 I feel it is too much. The speaker sound has a muffle feeling and adjust the touch sensitivity helps bringing out different voices.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Here’s a random thought. In another forum someone suggested that I should create another major Cybrid project: to control a real piano action in a real piano through MIDI. Think Yamaha Disklavier. And I just imagined it for a while how it’s not very trivial because one can only tap keys slightly and still produce sound or repeat keys without releasing fully and all sorts of complicated stuff that requires much more than just simple MIDI velocity on messages.

And then came this thought. Disklavier are even older than GranTouch and AvantGrand. And they certainly needed to record the continuous key position at any time in order to reproduce the special behavior described above. The grey shutter sensors beneath the keys. This is the proper way to replay a recorded performance with the best possible precision.

And it explains how GT and AG were created. Well, it’s just a Disklavier without the solenoids smile So, these under-the-key sensors were not an overengineered concept out of the blue. It was just a ready made design they had and only had to use. It’s not there to have half-damper on key release although it’s a nice coincidence too. And I guess the additional hammer sensors for detecting jammed keys (no hammer blow) were only a secondary measure, a fallback. Which is certainly the case because their start and end measurements points are too far apart to be able to detect off the jack or similar shorter blows.

https://prodigy.pianodisc.com/quiettime/

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
So few days ago, I received news from Yamaha that they were keeping an N1X display set at one of their little outlets. Right away, I went down to request for them to swap it with my new NU1X. However, they were adamant it wasn't for sale since it was still relatively new and it was the only N1X on display in the entire country.

A couple of days later, I received a call from the outlet to say they were willing to let it go at a discount of around 1300 in USD from the standard retail price. So, I went down again to do one last check to make sure the display set is all good and paid the remaining top-up from my NU1X to get the swap deal done.

Delivery is set for this week so I guess I can now join the N1X club!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Welcome! How did you find it compared to the NU1X?

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
The NU1X I received was already updated to V2.1, and I'd like to highlight that I do get loud notes occasionally. Since I've never played on the previous version, I can't be sure how much of this issue was fixed.

I'll give more updates about my experience after I've received it since my time trying out the N1X was too short to make any sound judgement. But on first impression, the grand action on the N1X is definitely lovelier than the upright action of the NU1X. I don't think I've been so in love with the action of any pianos I've ever played on (since I never really had much opportunities to play on grands) smile

D
D
I never heard that before that any one was able to reproduce the loud note issue having V2.1 installed.
Would you call yourself a highly experienced player?
When did it happen?
When playing certain pieces of music or did you just provoke it somehow?

However congrats on your N1x.
Enjoy.

Just playing my NU1X.
And love it. Cheers!
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I never heard that before that any one was able to reproduce the loud note issue having V2.1 installed.

It's been mentioned a couple times that some people still experience it. I used the NU1 equivalent fw, which may not be exactly the same as the NU1X's, but in any case still get loud notes on the NU1. Yamaha support specifically said it may not fully address the issue, and it may need action regulation. So it seems ymmv (and Cybergene's theory that it can't definitively be solved via software is so far true).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Would you call yourself a highly experienced player?
When did it happen?
When playing certain pieces of music or did you just provoke it somehow?

However congrats on your N1x.
Enjoy.
I'm at most only reaching an intermediate level. It happens when I try to play a couple of slow and soft pieces. Strangely, I couldn't make it sound as loud if I try to provoke it after hearing it.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I suggest moving the NU1 conversation on the NU1 or NU1x thread e.g. http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthreads.php/topics/2990927.html or http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2719533/yamaha-nu1.html
or even starting a new one, because this thread about the N1x is becoming a monster :-)

That said, I also have an NU1 and I am interested in learning how it compares with the N1x even though I am not upgrading anytime soon, so please do post those impressions on this thread (or start a new one).

Thanks for considering this suggestion.

Cheers,
D.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
@Del Vento: Good point, newbie!

R
R
I measured the distance from the floor (carpet) to the sustain pedal at 2 inches. Just curious what others measure on their N1X?

Robert

Acoustic: Yamaha C2X
Hybrid: Yamaha N1X
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 660S
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RCKFlorida
I measured the distance from the floor (carpet) to the sustain pedal at 2 inches. Just curious what others measure on their N1X?
Is this with the adjustable screw under the pedals extended all the way, full length?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
@TS: You're back! Long time no read.

I think you said elsewhere that you've been ill. I hope that has passed.

R
R
No adjustable screw pressure.

Robert

Acoustic: Yamaha C2X
Hybrid: Yamaha N1X
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 660S
N
N
Is this with the adjustable screw under the pedals extended all the way, full length?

An aside, but I found that putting a roughly 4x6" rectangular piece of wood under that screw makes the pedal unit completely stable when the N1X is on carpet,

D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Amen!

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Thanks!

Well not completely back. These last 8 weeks, I've been suffering from allergic contact dermatitis. Two rounds of prednisone didn't knock it back and my doc won't give me a third round because it lowers the immune system and he reminded me of the pandemic going around. So I've been suffering.

Going to bed with socks on my hands to keep me from waking up bloody from the scratching is not the preferred way of dealing with this so I've had to take some "extraordinary" measures wink to get the prednisone that my doctor is refusing to prescribe. frown

Originally Posted by David B

Amen!
Thanks!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Page 143 of 237 1 2 141 142 143 144 145 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission