2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#2997062 06/30/20 12:15 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hello,
Because it's Fun to Play and see the Piano...
A piano that creates a visual presentation of what been played on it.
Infusing lights and sound excites multiple senses.

"I Will Wait for You" from the movie "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" on the Roland GP607 Piano Luminescent.
Music composed by Michel Legrand.
I mix the Piano tone with the String Quartet Ensemble tone from the GP607

[img]http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/galleries/2997049/piano-luminescent-roland-gp607.html[/img]

Piano Luminescent

The colors that are mapped to the pitches were taken loosely, from the composer Alexander Scriabin's color wheel chart.
Scriabin was one of the first classical music composer "1872 - 1915", who was intrigued by the idea of adding colors to the music.

His music is a beautiful blend with light, shape, and color.
He was the first multi-media music composer!
Now, we can apply this awesome technique to modern music!

Gear: Roland GP607
Audio: Recorded by the GP607 on wav file.
Lights "Color LEDs strip" controller by a Raspberry Pi & an Arduino
Pianist: Pierre Tanguay | A Guy Who Have Time On His Hands.

Thank you for watching and hope you enjoyed it!
Anything feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by Piano Luminescent; 06/30/20 12:24 PM.
M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
You're supposed to film from above with lights off... This is rubbish and another annoying stupid trend that attracts masses of kids who like pretty lights and piano. YouTube is over saturated with this trash, what you done here is not unique, its been done a million times before and years ago.

mwf #2997070 06/30/20 12:37 PM
K
K
Wow harsh.

If it attracts 100 kids to cool things you can do with a piano, that will give 100 kids a bit of piano exposure and maybe infuse 10 kids (who may also like Maker stuff/Arduino/etc) with a love for piano and music.

Who knows that 1 of those 100 might do something really unique in the future that brings some additional beauty into the world for us all.

In terms of scientific method, an experiment must be repeated hundreds of times, perhaps with some small variations, before there is a breakthrough. The more examples, the better!

I haven't seen this before and I appreciate his posting it.

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
mwf #2997072 06/30/20 12:45 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you for your feedback.
I just try to make learning and listening to digital piano an uplifting and enjoyable experience for children and adults included.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Piano Luminescent
Thank you for your feedback.
I just try to make learning and listening to digital piano an uplifting and enjoyable experience for children and adults included.

Well played! The lighting is not my cup of tea, but as an oldster, I don’t think I’m your target YouTube audience. 😊. You might play around with the camera angle—maybe from the top with only hands and keys to emphasize the note and color association. Just a stray thought that is not worth .02

mwf #2997080 06/30/20 01:05 PM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by mwf
You're supposed to film from above with lights off... This is rubbish and another annoying stupid trend that attracts masses of kids who like pretty lights and piano. YouTube is over saturated with this trash, what you done here is not unique, its been done a million times before and years ago.

Why do you have to be like that? It's all good that you prefer your traditional piano ways and all, but there really is no reason at all to be so unfriendly towards someone that likes a piano with lights or whatever.

I think it's kind of refreshing to use these lights as a visual representation of what has been played on it, instead of the other way around, which is what it's usually used for.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Dogperson, I’ll give you .01 for that there stray thought; not a penny more (literally) because then that would make it .02; which is your asking price, and as you indicated yourself, you don’t believe your stray thought is worth that much. blush

O
O
Nice.

Attracting more children to music is always valid.

mwf #2997087 06/30/20 01:16 PM
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by mwf
This is rubbish and another annoying stupid trend that attracts masses of kids who like pretty lights and piano. YouTube is over saturated with this trash, what you done here is not unique, its been done a million times before and years ago.

Hmm, I wonder why Pianoworld has a reputation of threads devolving into pointless arguments. frown

Piano Luminescent, I really enjoyed your playing and your implementation of the visualizer. It's actually refreshing NOT to see the ubiquitous black-backdrop top-down view for once smile Also, I liked that you use a slow fade on the LEDs for note-off, it makes for a more flowing, polished effect.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Ooohhh! Can I complain too?

Video for YouTube should be de-interlaced if shot with a regular video camera.

There. I complained. 😉

Other than that everybody can decide what kind of cups of hot beverage (or piano light gimmicks) they like.

And at least there's the technical aspect (🤓) as this was a real hardware (and software) project and not just video editing.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Nice project Piano Luminescent. Your implementation of the lighting is very pleasing. How did you approach the brightness and fade parameters?

It is amazing to see how DIY projects combining hardware and software have evolved. These were very difficult challenges just a few years ago.

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Nice playing !

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

P
OP Offline
P
To my follow Pianoworld: Kimby, Dogperson, U3piano, Pete14.01, Otavio, Gombessa, Clothearednincompo, Newplayer and Serge88

Thank you all for your kind reviews and positive recommendations, you all make my day!

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by newer player
Nice project Piano Luminescent. Your implementation of the lighting is very pleasing. How did you approach the brightness and fade parameters?

Newer Player, here the answer:
The brightness and fade parameters data "velocity" is sent by the digital piano MIDI data USB port and received by the Raspberry PI.

mwf #2997142 06/30/20 03:42 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by mwf

Relax. There's nothing wrong with this. Nothing wrong with having an LED light setup. People play piano, and it's "not unique, its been done a million times before and years ago", but there's nothing wrong with playing piano, right?

Finally bought the P515
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I made some custom Arduino LED integrations for drone flight controllers back in the day. A lot of LED strips have libraries available that handle the PWM commands for fades and delays. I definitely agree with newer player that it's amazing how accessible and easy these projects are nowadays.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
mwf #2997151 06/30/20 03:55 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by mwf

You can't be talking either. Your youtube channel which is on your profile contains lots of videos with the rolling synthesia notes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8IPIEj5XpU
I can only assume this to be you if the youtube channel is on your profile? Your videos have everything except for the LED lights, arguably making them lower level than even the "annoying stupid trend that attracts masses of kids who like pretty lights and piano".

Finally bought the P515
C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by joemama42O
lots of videos with the rolling synthesia notes

Oh, no! The worst sin of all the sins! Discouraging kids from learning notation! And teaching them to play like robots!

J
J
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
lots of videos with the rolling synthesia notes

Oh, no! The worst sin of all the sins! Discouraging kids from learning notation! And teaching them to play like robots!

I think you've missed my point: mwf here is arguing that not being unique is bad. yet he has the same synthesia setup that a lot of youtubers do. my point is that he's being hypocritical, and that not being unique is not bad. LED lights look cool, and that's all that is to it. who cares if other people do it? If you're going to complain about people "not being unique" then wouldn't you be unique yourself? Nothing wrong with the rolling synthesia notes, only that it's coming from someone who is complaining about people not being unique.

Finally bought the P515
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I think you've missed my point: mwf here is arguing that not being unique is bad. yet he has the same synthesia setup that a lot of youtubers do. my point is that he's being hypocritical, and that not being unique is not bad. LED lights look cool, and that's all that is to it. who cares if other people do it? If you're going to complain about people "not being unique" then wouldn't you be unique yourself? Nothing wrong with the rolling synthesia notes, only that it's coming from someone who is complaining about people not being unique.

Nice find on the Synthesia notes... that is pretty funny. LED strip wins over Synthesia in my opinion -- LED strip is a real live effect.

The reality is that mwf did Piano Luminescent a favor, and if they weren't compensated for it (YouTuber helping YouTuber), well, they should be.

If someone came and said "nice work" or nothing at all, like typically happens with member recording videos, the thread may well have died.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission