2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I want a digital piano with a lighter action than the Kawai ES110 action, an action that behaves with that acoustic fly away keys response. And it must be under 30 lbs and have internal monitor speakers

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
R
R
Have you set the touch sensitivity to light? From what I've read, at this price point, the ES110 is the only board. What's your price point? Is this a joke? I've got my ES110 set to light touch, and have never experienced a faster, more expressive keybed, which echoes your review of it (which highly influenced my buying decision).

Randy
Studiologic Numa Piano X73 / Kawai ES920 / Yamaha PSR EW-410 / Casio CT-X5000
Melodica / Alto recorder / iPad music apps
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Kurzweil SP6. Oops, no speakers...

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/29/20 04:52 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Some of the Casios are very light.

J
J
Even lighter than the ES110? Jeez... I don't know if acoustic pianos really would be THAT light...

Finally bought the P515
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by joemama42O
Even lighter than the ES110? Jeez... I don't know if acoustic pianos really would be THAT light...

The ancient upright that I played until the '90s is probably lighter than any digital I've ever played.

J
J
Originally Posted by johnstaf

The ancient upright that I played until the '90s is probably lighter than any digital I've ever played.

Lucky.

Finally bought the P515
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rintincop
I want a digital piano with a lighter action than the Kawai ES110 action, an action that behaves with that acoustic fly away keys response. And it must be under 30 lbs and have internal monitor speakers
Have you tried a Yamaha P125? To me it was very light and comfortable to play fast trills and octaves on it.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Lucky.

I hated it. 😃 It was like there was no feedback from the piano.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Some of the Casios are very light.
He had a Casio PX-S1000 before and didn’t like it and replaced it with the Kawai ES-110.

What’s wrong with the Kawai?

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

Given your enthusiasm with ES110, about how light the action is, I am surprised you are looking for something even lighter. Would a semiweighted action fit? Like Studiologic Numa Compact 2?

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A

Most acoustic pianos I've played (whether upright or grand) are lighter/quicker feeling than the vast majority of DPs.

I haven't played the ES110, but I'm pretty sure what you're looking for doesn't exist.

For a light feeling lightweight 88 with speakers, you might want to consider some older models. I still enjoy playing the old Casio Privias (the PX-x00 and PX-x10 series, I don't know bout the PX-x20 which I"ve never played), they feel lighter than their later models. Maybe they'd feel lighter than the ES-110. Get a model with audio in if you want to play a non-stock piano sound through its speakers.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene

Perhaps the honeymoon period is over?

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
J
Could you possibly get someone to just adjust the actual weight of the keys on your current ES110? It would be hard to find a DP with that light of action.

Finally bought the P515
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by CyberGene

Perhaps the honeymoon period is over?

Why am I not surprised that there is a thread about this...

(IMO, the answer to a lighter action is the venerable Roland FP4.)

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Given that ES110 is one of the lightest feeling keyboards on the market, I’m not sure there is lighter feeling piano that would fulfill all the requirements. Maybe it’s time to check non-weighted actions. I’ve been a long time opponent of synth actions but after owning the Yamaha MODX6 I realized they are not that bad at all. I occasionally use it for Rhodes and piano patches (well, admittedly I use it predominantly for synth sounds) and it’s more than OK. I remember in the past having difficulties to control dynamics, having notes that stick out, or notes that are too quiet on synth actions. Not on the MODX. Maybe it’s a matter of better velocity curve or something but it behaves great. Of course it’s not for classical music and it can’t replace the precision of a weighted action. But it’s surprisingly good.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Personally, I hate semi-weighted keyboards. They would like to emulate the "weight" of a real piano action but they fail miserably, and at the end of the day they are neither fish nor fowl. At touch they feel like toys, their linear response on the velocity usually is horrible, and you'll have to "craft" a customized velocity curve to get somehow a decent touch response (but after that you will lose dozens of velocity values). You feel the springs when press their keys (and after 2-3 years, when you play, you'll hear that noise similar to springs from an old mattress too, together with other plastic noises!). I prefer totally unweighted keyboards to them. At least good unweighted keyboards are honest and noiseless.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by magicpiano
Personally, I hate semi-weighted keyboards. They would like to emulate the "weight" of a real piano action but they fail miserably, and at the end of the day they are neither fish nor fowl. At touch they feel like toys, their linear response on the velocity usually is horrible, and you'll have to "craft" a customized velocity curve to get somehow a decent touch response (but after that you will lose dozens of velocity values). You feel the springs when press their keys (and after 2-3 years, when you play, you'll hear that noise similar to springs from an old mattress too, together with other plastic noises!). I prefer totally unweighted keyboards to them. At least good unweighted keyboards are honest and noiseless.

There are special circumstances here. Your response is a generic one and yes, we all agree semi-weighted is sh1t. However if you have followed rintincop, he has been seeking for the lightest possible digital piano because he has hand fatigue with even lighter-weighted digital pianos such as ES110. With that in mind, whether you hate semiweighted or not... well, we all hate them wink But if you are in need, then certain compromises are acceptable.

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/30/20 05:36 AM.

D
D
How about a Studiologic Numa Compact 2X? Only semi weighted, but the spring bounce back might be to your taste. I have one as a fast response for non piano sometimes, but for an 88 synth action it does do piano quite well. Never a replacement for a good weighted action for my taste, but it is light in ever aspect. It has internal speakers and USB audio.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Deltajockey
How about a Studiologic Numa Compact 2X? Only semi weighted, but the spring bounce back might be to your taste. I have one as a fast response for non piano sometimes, but for an 88 synth action it does do piano quite well. Never a replacement for a good weighted action for my taste, but it is light in ever aspect. It has internal speakers and USB audio.

I think that's the only keyboard that satisfies all the requirements and has a lighter keyboard than the ES110. I've never tried it but I've read customer reviews that also confirm what you say: it's very good for what it is.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission