2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2969183 04/20/20 11:34 AM
V
Visalia Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Is this an issue for any of you? I practice in the dining room of our house. We've quite a lot of rooms so I would have thought that I'd be able to get a bit of solitude to practice. But apparently not!

There's nothing worse than practicing away and then suddenly realising that someone was in the room next door who could hear everything. But this made me think that listening to someone practicing piano must sound somewhat odd! The person who hears must often have no idea why person practicing suddenly stop and start various things. It's not too bad if someone hears you practicing a song that's already near complete. But often when I practice, I might suddenly decide to start playing a lick in a different key. Things like this, as well as hand independence exercises, and ear training, that must sound strange. I think the only way around this is to get a jack adapter 1/4' to 3.5 mm to put my earphones in to! I don't know how people who only have no electric pianos can practice!

For my set up, I have the keyboard facing out the window overlooking the valley. The thing is the door to this room is on the opposite side to the window. Outside of that door is a narrow hallway and the downstairs bathroom is opposite side of the hallway. What this means is that if ever there's visitors that need to go to the bathroom, that as they're about to enter it they'll likely see the back of my head as I'm right up against the window (come to think of it, the keyboard is set low so it's probably out of sight). They'll also likely hear silence as I might be writing down notes on paper. It's then kind of awkward as I wait for them to exit the bathroom knowing that they're more likely see me as they exit. There's been times when someone has been passing that I just played random chords as I knew it wouldn't sound as odd as what I would have actually been doing. I wouldn't quite be able to think when they're there.

Another time when I couldn't use the usual room, I went to the bedroom above the kitchen. I thought all was fine until my dad started giving out noises on the ceiling. I didn't know what he was talking about until I realised it was all the foot movements on the pedal! I can only imagine what that must have sounded like!

The room I mainly use is good but often when I enter at about 11 pm to start playing for about an hour before bed, is just when the folks will enter the room upstairs to go to bed. Sometimes I fool myself by turning down the volume of the keyboard, but before long I cut my losses and do something else.

Anyway please share your thoughts

Last edited by Visalia; 04/20/20 11:36 AM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
An entertaining video:

M
M
I have the same thing... I need solitude for practicing. I practice with headphones because my (digital) piano is in the living room, and I can imagine that it would drive my wife and children crazy if they would have to listen to me practicing with a metronome, or the same two bars over and over again :-)

Now with this Corona virus goina around, the piano lessons are via whatsapp instead of in the music academy, and I really hate that because that can't be done with the headphone...

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I had family related issues in the past. Getting into piano playing as an adult was a blessing and provided the much needed balance in my life. Unfortunately practicing at home even with headphones was not an option in the beginning. Coming from a non-musical family the people around me were less than supportive when I got into piano playing.

My situation is rather awkward. My portable keyboard (starting with a 61 to 76 and finally 88) has always been moving around. For nearly a decade I was practicing outside my residence. Living in a high-rise building I would spend an hour a day practicing in the common area of my building. When I'm done, the keyboard can be neatly stacked away. When I'm practicing music, I don't want to be seen or heard.

An acoustic piano would be tough at times with others around - T.V. noise, loud talking, kids roughhousing near the piano, etc...

A digital piano with headphones would help quite a bit most of the time. Luckily I'm able to use headphones with my digital piano.

Stormbringer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Working on Alfred's Adult AIO Book 2
1970's: Took piano lessons. 2021: This old man is giving it a 2nd go.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Feel The Power>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I understand your point, it really requires some time alone to practice anything as it turns out a bit odd when we know someone's watching us

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission