2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
66 members (Burkey, c++, clothearednincompo, anotherscott, Cutec, brendon, CyberGene, Beowulf, accordeur, 16 invisible), 615 guests, and 528 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Your favorite"American" composer-piano pieces
iamandrew3 #2994913 06/24/20 09:18 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My favourite American composer is Ives.

iamandrew3 #2994967 06/25/20 04:10 AM
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
David Thomas Roberts

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
iamandrew3 #2995000 06/25/20 07:45 AM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I thought I have never played any 'pieces' by an American composer, but just now I remembered I did play one. It's Round Midnight by Cootie Williams and Thelonious Monk (Moderately slow in 2, 6 pages, 96 measures, WB Deluxe Edition, 1944, 1982, don't know who arranged this particular version) and I really really liked it too.

iamandrew3 #2995037 06/25/20 09:13 AM
S
S
There are so many American composers who wrote interesting piano works...here are a few that I like, in no particular order:

Norman Dello Joio: Piano Sonata no. 3
Charles Griffes: Sonata, The White Peacock, Scherzo
Abram Chasins: Rush Hour in Hong Kong
Edward MacDowell: Sonata no. 4 "Keltic"
Leonard Pennario: Midnight on the Cliffs
Samuel Barber: Nocturne (Homage to John Field) op.33
Leo Ornstein: Piano Sonata no. 4
Philip Glass: Metamorphosis

iamandrew3 #2995057 06/25/20 10:49 AM
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure I've heard many piano pieces by American composers besides Gershwin (I don't like him) and Glass (sounds almost annoying to me). OTOH I like American symphonists such as Howard Hanson, Walter Piston, Roy Harris, William Schuman, David Diamond.

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/25/20 10:49 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
iamandrew3 #2995398 06/26/20 10:29 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Everything I hear by Florence Price continues to impress me. She has a piano sonata and one-movement concerto that’s fantastic.

I also obsess over Samuel Barber’s piano concerto.

EDIT: Rachmaninoff became a USA citizen grin

Last edited by Orange Soda King; 06/26/20 10:32 AM.
iamandrew3 #2995421 06/26/20 11:12 AM
B
B
Been learning Florence Price's piano sonata and am in love with it - it's only been recorded a handful of times, but it's a fabulous piece, and as I'm playing with the interpretation I'm finding a lot of interesting possibilities. She also has a fabulous piano concerto (labeled one movement, but has two distinct, pretty much full pauses, so feels pretty much like a short 3-movement concerto).

William Grant Still wasn't a pianist, but he's got some really good piano music - Seven Traceries is in my lineup, though I haven't started working on it yet.

Scott Joplin was also the first composer I got really interested in - the only album I ever recorded was a Joplin album. I always felt there's way more to his piano pieces than most performances manage to capture, and that his intentions leaned more classical than jazz.

I've also always adored Barber, but never got around to playing his music - I love his sonata but I don't often have time for large-scale works like that (my main gig isn't classical piano).

As a theater music director, I also have to plug Sondheim, Adam Guettel, and Jason Robert Brown, whose piano parts are a blast.

On a totally different end of the spectrum, I occasionally like reading through Revolutionary-era piano pieces. They're all pretty much hot garbage, but they're entertaining, if only because it's a subcategory of American music that's gone (probably rightfully) largely unrecorded. Most of the Revolutionary-era sonatas are part of the same military-sonata genre that Beethoven's infamously-bad "Wellington's Victory" comes from. They're all similarly uninteresting.

Last edited by BenjaminDoyle91; 06/26/20 11:14 AM.
iamandrew3 #2995624 06/26/20 07:28 PM
I
OP Offline
I
I should never forget about popular song writer Stephen Collins Foster. I love putting his songs to piano.

iamandrew3 #2996335 06/28/20 10:42 AM
I
I
My favorite composer from America, and possibly of all, is Edward MacDowell. His second piano concerto in D minor (Op. 23) and his Witches' Dance (Op. 17, No. 2) are both excellent pieces that in my (lowly) opinion, should be standard again. (They were both standard repertoire pieces until World War II)

I actually have a copy of a book about MacDowell's life at home, a biography if you well, written by E. Douglas Bomberger. From what I understood, MacDowell was against the idea of "nationalism" in music and despised being called the "first great American composer", because he was simply out to write great music. MacDowell constantly called for "internationalism" in music, rather than "nationalism", calling the latter nonsense.

He was more of an American Grieg than anything else - he even exchanged a few letters with Grieg for that matter. The Third Piano Sonata "Norse" (Op. 57) is dedicated to Grieg.

I'm a huge fan of MacDowell.

Pianist-in-training. Also an 19 year old who hasn't grown up at heart.

Fanboy of Edward MacDowell
iaintagreatpianist #2996381 06/28/20 12:32 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by iaintagreatpianist
[...] MacDowell was against the idea of "nationalism" in music and despised being called the "first great American composer", because he was simply out to write great music. MacDowell constantly called for "internationalism" in music, rather than "nationalism", calling the latter nonsense.

He was more of an American Grieg than anything else - he even exchanged a few letters with Grieg for that matter. The Third Piano Sonata "Norse" (Op. 57) is dedicated to Grieg.
[...]

That's an interesting contradiction - for lack of a more appropriate word - given that there was hardly a more "national" composer than Edvard Grieg. He was even the founder of the Norwegian national school of music.

So if, as you say, MacDowell was an "American Grieg," was he a nationalist composer in spite of himself?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
iamandrew3 #2996411 06/28/20 01:17 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
This topic has got me to thinking about some of the music in my collection which I never got around to picking out on the piano. I just played through one of the Poems after Omar Khayyam by Arthur Foote, which was really nice.

I have played through some of John Alden Carpenter's music, which is worthwhile.

I like Cowell's music better than Ives', but there is a lot of it that has specific requirements for one's body that I do not have.

Antheil wrote a lot of different music, some of which is better than others. I tried picking through his 4th sonata, which looked fun. Who can resist a suite with movements Practice Hours Are Long, In Spain with Mr. Hemingway, and Someday We'll Like Stravinsky?

I really should go through more of the children's music. There are suites by Roy Harris and Norman Della Joio, maybe others. Everyone should have the Masters of our Day collection from Fischer, with music by Copland, Cowell, Isadore Freed, Howard Hanson, Darius Milhaud, Douglas Moore, Roger Sessions, Deems Taylor, Randall Thompson, and Virgil Thomson.

Zez Confrey's music is a lot like Leroy Anderson, bridging between popular and classical. Confrey's music is mostly piano, while there are piano reductions of Anderson's, and they are both available as fairly complete editions.

Semipro Tech
BruceD #2996413 06/28/20 01:20 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Lol Bruce, we'd all be homeless if not for our ivory towers! Iaintagreatpianist is a young punk I'm sure, and so am I!

BruceD #2997090 06/30/20 12:19 PM
I
I
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by iaintagreatpianist
[...] MacDowell was against the idea of "nationalism" in music and despised being called the "first great American composer", because he was simply out to write great music. MacDowell constantly called for "internationalism" in music, rather than "nationalism", calling the latter nonsense.

[...]

That's an interesting contradiction - for lack of a more appropriate word - given that there was hardly a more "national" composer than Edvard Grieg. He was even the founder of the Norwegian national school of music.

So if, as you say, MacDowell was an "American Grieg," was he a nationalist composer in spite of himself?

Regards,
No, I don't think so. When I call MacDowell an "American Grieg" I'm referring to his output in music being astonishingly similar to Grieg.

Both composers contributed a large amount of excellent miniatures. Both of them also wrote many large pieces, but in regards to well-known large pieces by either composer, the only thing that'll pop in your mind is a Piano Concerto.

(Grieg only finished one piano concerto, the one in A minor, although he tried to write a second in B minor; MacDowell is better known for his Piano Concerto No. 2 in D minor, rather than his Piano Concerto No. 1 in A minor.)

MacDowell's only real "nationalist" piece that comes to mind is his "Indian" Suite, Op. 48, which uses alot of Native American melodies. This piece may have been composed as a response to Dvorak, who said that American composers should stop trying to copy Europe, and use African-American melodies.

So no, I don't think MacDowell was truly a nationalist composer in spite of being referred to as an "American Grieg" by myself (and by André Watts for that matter, I remember him saying that in a YouTube lecture posted by Nashville Symphony).

MacDowell was an American composer, but he was fully embracing the Romanticism of Europe, rather than the sounds of America.

Pianist-in-training. Also an 19 year old who hasn't grown up at heart.

Fanboy of Edward MacDowell
iaintagreatpianist #2997199 06/30/20 05:13 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Just checked out his Norse Sonata. Pretty good. Many twists and turns emotionally in a relatively short piece.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland FP-10 Play your own midis?
by Jtlaurence - 11/28/20 12:42 PM
Yamaha CLP-700 AUX IN jack
by Mihai Vasiliu - 11/28/20 12:28 PM
Piano usb DAC
by QuasarPiano - 11/28/20 11:30 AM
Left Hand Chord Progression Training
by Peddler100 - 11/28/20 10:35 AM
Kawai CA98 vs. CA99 (aka upgrade-itis)
by Tommy S - 11/28/20 10:06 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,098
Posts3,028,104
Members99,400
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission