2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
76 members (Brendan, anotherscott, Beowulf, Blague, alaxid, AZNpiano, Animisha, almo82, 17 invisible), 521 guests, and 452 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Is Oberlin Conservatory in trouble?
#2995418 06/26/20 12:04 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Some of the past students of my daughter's piano teacher have gone there, and a few recent ones are planning to enroll in the fall. But I've read news that Oberlin is doing significant cost cutting including letting go of tenured faculty and reducing funding for academic advising. The news did not say if the conservatory itself was being targeted, but the "body language" of the admins seemed to suggest that the conservatory would be less of a priority in the long term since the school made less money from it. Also, it is being suggested that the conservatory will act more as a tool to attract musically inclined non-conservatory students.

Is Oberlin's position as a music conservatory in danger?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Is Oberlin Conservatory in trouble?
Forest_Hills_Daddy #2995794 06/27/20 09:51 AM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
You have a lot of speculation in your post which you are not likely to get resolved here. Since your daughter’s piano teacher has contacts through former students, why don’t you have an Oberlin graduate contact a former professor?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Forest_Hills_Daddy #2995798 06/27/20 09:55 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If they want to use the conservatory to attract students, wouldn't they need to look after it?

dogperson #2995840 06/27/20 11:25 AM
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by dogperson
You have a lot of speculation in your post which you are not likely to get resolved here. Since your daughter’s piano teacher has contacts through former students, why don’t you have an Oberlin graduate contact a former professor?

They've corroborated the activities going on but they can't tell what the outcome will be - ie, the conservatory being used as a tool to attract and teach to musically inclined non-conservatory majors. So yes, it is speculation.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 06/27/20 11:26 AM.
Forest_Hills_Daddy #2996078 06/27/20 08:39 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
IMHO, your daughter should pick the program she likes best and is not in danger of closing or faltering during the coming years.

Fortunately, Oberlin reported an endowment of $950 million FY2019, so has some, but not a lot, of firepower.

On the downside, we see plenty of 2019 news where Oberlin is restructuring away from the music programs. The 2020 human malware situation will add significanlty more financial pressure. The Bakery scandal will probably cost another $40m in the near-term.

IME, even the universities with the biggest endowments will be struggling with finances for the coming years due to the human malware situation and financial crisis. So nobody is exempt from the pain.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...demographics-oberlin-pushes-do-more-less

Forest_Hills_Daddy #3018343 08/27/20 02:20 PM
My wife and I are Oberlin alums. We visited in 2018 after a 30 year absence and heard the college president speak on the cost cutting needed over the coming years. As with any business, revenue and expenses must stay in balance. Oberlin's employee count has to drop. Anyone in the corporate world hears this speech regularly.

As for facilities, the conservatory had doubled in size. My favorite piano practice rooms had been converted into office space. I was pissed. I had to climb to the second floor to find a piano. I did not enter the new building but I assume that's where most of the teaching and practice happens today.

Anyway, covid 19 has accelerated restructuring plans at small liberal arts schools like Oberlin. It's a wonderful school and from the student concerts I attended is chock full of extremely talented artists. Oberlin isn't going away anytime soon. It was a great school back in the 70s and everyone I met there indicated to me that it is still a great school.

However the tuition is obscene. The student pool Oberlin draws from is finite. Something has to be done to make Oberlin affordable. The current president knows what is required. When she's done, Oberlin will be in a more sustainable position.

With new students Chopin was chiefly anxious to do away with any stiffness in, or cramped, or convulsive movement of the hand, thereby obtaining the first requisite of fine technique "souplesse" (suppleness). -- Carl Mikuli on Chopin the teacher.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why Is the Piano Music Marked "Trio"?
by BbAltered - 10/20/20 12:59 PM
Lesson scheduling *SERVICE*
by scotpgot - 10/20/20 12:37 PM
Missing the Blacks Keys in E
by wolfpaw - 10/20/20 11:31 AM
Need help with my keyboard monitor setup!!
by Foxtrot3 - 10/20/20 10:59 AM
David Andersen Pianos
by westexdent - 10/20/20 09:41 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,322
Posts3,015,494
Members98,957
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission