2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 12 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
I am about to get the ES110 this week or next after testing dozens of keyboards at Sam Ash
my two concerns stopping me from getting it is i plan to use it 90% of the time as a midi keyboard. i tried great midi controllers but i love the action on ES110 more than any other sub $1000 keyboard. My two options are midi to USB adapter. how are those? any downsides? and then the ES110 has bluetooth midi. i never looked into that. hows the performance with that and is there latency?
So to people who use Kawai ES110 as a midi controller with a computer, hows the experience, how did you connect to your computer?
Lastly, how are product cycles like for Kawai products? how often do they get refreshed? i dont want to get one now and then in a few months something new comes out to replace it.

C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Just avoid the cheap no-name USB-MIDI cables and all should be fine.

People here either don't know or can't say when an ES120 might be released.

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
Just avoid the cheap no-name USB-MIDI cables and all should be fine.

People here either don't know or can't say when an ES120 might be released.
What are good brands of cables? Also I’m assuming Bluetooth midi is no good?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Cheap USB-MIDI are typically 5$... and they worth no more. Spend around 30$ for a M-Audio Midisport Uno for example.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
N
N
Roland UM-ONE worked for me. An M Audio before that lasted ten years before dying.

O
OP Offline
O
And there’s no delay or downsides with midi to USB adapters vs native usb midi?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's wise to check into things ... but you seem very reluctant to move ahead on this. If so I'd say forget it.

Because buying and using virtual instruments will have you spending a lot of money on gear and software.
If you're leery about a $40 purchase, you aint seen nothin' yet. That $40 is less than 2% of my spend.
And people here with higher tastes in equipment have spent way more!

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
For years I’ve been using an M-Audio Uno 1-In/1-Out USB Bus-Powered MIDI interface, first with a Yamaha P95, and now with my Kawai ES110 (both digitals used almost exclusively as MIDI controllers).

Very reasonably priced, it hasn't skipped a beat and I’m extremely happy with it.
I understand that this is M-Audio’s smallest and simplest USB MIDI interface: basic 1 x 1 operation, bus-powered mobility and comes with its own built-in USB and MIDI cables.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by MarieJ
For years I’ve been using an M-Audio Uno 1-In/1-Out USB Bus-Powered MIDI interface, first with a Yamaha P95, and now with my Kawai ES110 (both digitals used almost exclusively as MIDI controllers).

Very reasonably priced, it hasn't skipped a beat and I’m extremely happy with it.
I understand that this is M-Audio’s smallest and simplest USB MIDI interface: basic 1 x 1 operation, bus-powered mobility and comes with its own built-in USB and MIDI cables.
thank you!!! i will get it

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
It's wise to check into things ... but you seem very reluctant to move ahead on this. If so I'd say forget it.

Because buying and using virtual instruments will have you spending a lot of money on gear and software.
If you're leery about a $40 purchase, you aint seen nothin' yet. That $40 is less than 2% of my spend.
And people here with higher tastes in equipment have spent way more!

i already have dozens of amazing VSTS i was using with my crappy alesis midi keyboard, im just upgrading basically

M
M
OcelotDelta - I would be very curious to know your experience with the Kawai ES110 and the midi-to-USB adapter for VSTs? Any noticeable latency issues?

H
H
I’ve had the kawai Es 110 for over 3 years now—rigorous practice 3-5 hrs a day ,7 days a week so I can speak to the midi issues.. I use an UM one from the piano then to usb to laptop—then to whatever software program like Presonus.
Honestly I now use the Bluetooth midi w garage band and that’s fine for me. Easy easy.
BUT I suggest downloading the ble-midi app which miraculously turns on Bluetooth for like any of other apps like virtual technician ,garage band,—settings for Bluetooth tooth are derived from within each app,,the Ble-midi -makes it all easier.
I’m 75 and semi retired guitarist and I learned long ago that if I ever want to make a serious good recording , I just go to the studio. They got it all and well worth it.
Lately I’m just using Audacity w a usb mike, I’m stunned at the quality and ease of audacity.

I have a 3 year review in depth elsewhere on the digital forums.

M
M
Originally Posted by Hotstrings
I’ve had the kawai Es 110 for over 3 years now—rigorous practice 3-5 hrs a day ,7 days a week so I can speak to the midi issues.. I use an UM one from the piano then to usb to laptop—then to whatever software program like Presonus.
Honestly I now use the Bluetooth midi w garage band and that’s fine for me. Easy easy.
BUT I suggest downloading the ble-midi app which miraculously turns on Bluetooth for like any of other apps like virtual technician ,garage band,—settings for Bluetooth tooth are derived from within each app,,the Ble-midi -makes it all easier.
I’m 75 and semi retired guitarist and I learned long ago that if I ever want to make a serious good recording , I just go to the studio. They got it all and well worth it.
Lately I’m just using Audacity w a usb mike, I’m stunned at the quality and ease of audacity.

I have a 3 year review in depth elsewhere on the digital forums.

Thank you Hotstrings. I read your review - very in-depth and interesting perspective. I was curious about two things though:

1] If you wanted better sound, can you plug the ES110 directly into a set of monitors or do you need an external amp to power the monitors? Any suggestion on monitors that would sound good with the ES110?

2] Have you ever experienced any noticeable latency issues? I want to have the option of using VSTs for better/different piano tones possibly...

Thank you.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission