2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
62 members (BbAltered, 8ude, BachToTheFuture, 1957, 3x4rt, 20 invisible), 492 guests, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 31 of 36 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 35 36
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course
David B #2995055 06/25/20 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by David B
These are drill CDs, each an hour long, and they drill you on just one subject. The idea is to spend an hour a day for 36 days on just one technique, and then move on to another technique.

This course contains 36 Audio CDs, one DVD Summary Video, and 36 Guide Cards

God Bless,
David
That means tons of hours. Great for you!

Last edited by Sol Finker; 06/25/20 11:44 AM.

Jaime CLP-645 😃
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
TonyB #2995227 06/25/20 10:44 PM
W
W
I just spent the better part of 2 days reading through this entire thread. I went from interested to excited to disappointed. So I guess I saved myself $1000 and three years. Lol

But seriously I wish I knew about this course 30 years ago when I first bought a piano for my kids (who never took to it) and tried many different ways to learn. All along I just wanted to gain the knowledge and skills presented in the 52 week crash course.

I did self taught with a dozen systems and plans, tried private lessons, bought video tape series (Learn To Play Piano Overnight - that didn’t work).

So I did learn to play some stuff, got pretty good at reading music and memorizing pieces. But then “life” got in the way and I haven’t touched a piano in 15 years.

My problem is not How to play but What to play.

I guess I need to learn the chord concepts and how to improvise. I know I can’t spend the money and time for the 52 week crash course but if anyone has an idea of where I should look for a condensed course on those subjects it would be most welcome.

Thanks, Bill

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
WBLynch #2995230 06/25/20 11:04 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by WBLynch
I guess I need to learn the chord concepts and how to improvise. I know I can’t spend the money and time for the 52 week crash course but if anyone has an idea of where I should look for a condensed course on those subjects it would be most welcome.

Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill,

Duane had numerous courses available - besides the 52 Week Crash Course - that are shorter, more specific, and less expense. Visit his site and peruse through the options.

https://playpiano.com

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Completed
Duane Shinn Praise and Gospel Course; In Progress
Duane Shinn Pro Secrets Course; On Hold
TonyB #2995363 06/26/20 10:12 AM
D
D
Hi Bill,

I know where you are coming from. I've tried some learn the piano quickly courses etc, but the reality is that like anything in life, you get what you put into it. I don't see how it's possible to become a really good piano player in a microwave. We live in a society where everyone wants it right now. I've figured out in my own case that if I want to be really good, then I've got to put in the time and effort. I am going through the 52 week crash course and I want to put in the time to get good at piano. I'll be 56 next month and I've toyed with the piano since I was 10 but just haven't put in the time to really be any good. I figure it's now or never for me now, so that's why I opted to do the crash course. Hopefully, it will make me a much better player and enable me to accomplish some of the things I'd like to do, which is be able to sit down and play a song or two with style and flair and sound like a decent piano player. It's really fun to me

Thanks,
David Moss

TonyB #2995384 06/26/20 10:58 AM
W
W
Thanks David B and David M.

A little more info... I am well past the belief that I will become a really good player. My goal is to be able to play casually from lead sheets or by ear. So what I want to learn now (which really is what I wanted from the beginning) is how to improvise on the fly over typical American music. For example Camptown Races or Take Me Out To The Ballgame.

I can play that stuff as written, often at first sighting, and I can memorize even complex pieces. My problem is I can’t remember the things I could play 20-30 years ago.

I had a bit of a cry last night when I pulled out a 2 foot high stack of music and books and realized that, now I have gone blind in one eye and with failing sight in the other, I’ll never be able to use 90% of it.

So my hope now is to learn the concepts, methods and techniques to arrange and embellish pieces without the need of a written score.

The Duane Shinn 52 week crash course is exactly what I neeed when I started out, if I had known about it. Of course there was no internet or YouTube then. I would have ended up with the vhs and cassette version. Lol.

I think I will look at the other DS offerings as David B suggested.

Thanks guys, Bill

WBLynch #2995417 06/26/20 12:03 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I know I can’t spend the money and time for the 52 week crash course but if anyone has an idea of where I should look for a condensed course on those subjects it would be most welcome.
I think it would be a good public service message if there was a big banner in this thread that said, "WARNING! The '52-week' course will take a minimum of 156 weeks to complete!"

Maybe David B, the only known course-finisher who both started and finished this course in full view of PW forum members, should write a few paragraphs in this thread describing his overall effort, dedication and focus required for him to finish the 52-week course in 168 weeks, so that other future course starters can make sure they have what it takes. For example, talk about whether there were times he despaired of finishing and what he did to overcome any doubts.

So many people on this thread started and bailed. I'm guessing that David B (and EP!) are among the 5% of course purchasers who actually finished the course! David B's 168 weeks is a long time. I have not even been learning piano with a piano teacher that long. Anyone who finishes may not have climbed Everest, but definitely achieved a significant accomplishment in their lives.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2995457 06/26/20 01:56 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I think it would be a good public service message if there was a big banner in this thread that said, "WARNING! The '52-week' course will take a minimum of 156 weeks to complete!"

Maybe David B, the only known course-finisher who both started and finished this course in full view of PW forum members, should write a few paragraphs in this thread describing his overall effort, dedication and focus required for him to finish the 52-week course in 168 weeks, so that other future course starters can make sure they have what it takes. For example, talk about whether there were times he despaired of finishing and what he did to overcome any doubts.

So many people on this thread started and bailed. I'm guessing that David B (and EP!) are among the 5% of course purchasers who actually finished the course! David B's 168 weeks is a long time. I have not even been learning piano with a piano teacher that long. Anyone who finishes may not have climbed Everest, but definitely achieved a significant accomplishment in their lives.

Hi Tyrone,

I think my short summary video in this thread address those issues. Also, you have to remember that this course is 30 - 40 years old. I don't think the handful of people in this thread who started the course and didn't finish is indicative of the outcome of the majority of participants.

I think David Moss is right in observing that today there are so many learning options available that it makes skipping around from course to course much easier. However, that wasn't the case when Duane created the 52 Week Course (before the internet as we know it existed). I'm sure thousands of people stuck with the material (like I did) and finished the course. Some might have finished it in a year, some longer, but I would suspect finishing it wasn't as much of a problem as it is now.

The 52 Week Crash Course is no greater of a commitment than if you were to take private lessons from a teacher. You'll actually cover more material in the 52 Week Course (3 years worth) than you would studying one year with a private teacher.

God bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
WBLynch #2995471 06/26/20 02:31 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
So my hope now is to learn the concepts, methods and techniques to arrange and embellish pieces without the need of a written score.

Here is an option for you ....

https://www.pianomagic.com/

Don

Casio PX-S1000, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
dmd #2995510 06/26/20 03:41 PM
W
W
Originally Posted by dmd

Thanks Don, I will check it out.

Reading their web page though it sounds like the typical sales hyperbole that everyone espouses. Like that old system, “Learn to Play Piano While You Sleep”. Haha, sure, wake up the next morning a virtuoso.

But a cost effective program like that could work for me. I hope I can find some real people’s comments and maybe videos of their progress.

I still haven’t ruled out the 52WCC. But whatever I do I need to get going while I can still see,

For now I’ll spend some time going through some of my old stuff just to get back in the mode of playing, practicing and refamiliarizing me with the experience.

Best success to you all.

-Bill

WBLynch #2995528 06/26/20 04:26 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dmd

Thanks Don, I will check it out.

Reading their web page though it sounds like the typical sales hyperbole that everyone espouses. Like that old system, “Learn to Play Piano While You Sleep”. Haha, sure, wake up the next morning a virtuoso.

But a cost effective program like that could work for me. I hope I can find some real people’s comments and maybe videos of their progress.

I still haven’t ruled out the 52WCC. But whatever I do I need to get going while I can still see,

For now I’ll spend some time going through some of my old stuff just to get back in the mode of playing, practicing and refamiliarizing me with the experience.

Best success to you all.

-Bill

I was a member of the site a few years back.

It works if you do what he tells you to do.

I didn't.

I have seen the results with those that did things his way.

It can work for you and he is the real deal, he will provide you with personal assistance along the way.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
WBLynch #2995535 06/26/20 04:35 PM
M
M
I had a bit of a cry last night when I pulled out a 2 foot high stack of music and books and realized that, now I have gone blind in one eye and with failing sight in the other, I’ll never be able to use 90% of it.

Bill, I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry about your failing sight – and that I wish you success in learning to play as much as possible as soon as possible. <3

Will you let us know which course you went for?

I wish you all the best!

Kawai Novus NV10; Yamaha P-515

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
WBLynch #2995543 06/26/20 04:43 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks David B and David M.

A little more info... I am well past the belief that I will become a really good player. My goal is to be able to play casually from lead sheets or by ear. So what I want to learn now (which really is what I wanted from the beginning) is how to improvise on the fly over typical American music. For example Camptown Races or Take Me Out To The Ballgame.

I can play that stuff as written, often at first sighting, and I can memorize even complex pieces. My problem is I can’t remember the things I could play 20-30 years ago.

The Duane Shinn 52 week crash course is exactly what I neeed when I started out, if I had known about it. Of course there was no internet or YouTube then. I would have ended up with the vhs and cassette version. Lol.

I think I will look at the other DS offerings as David B suggested.

Thanks guys, Bill

Hi Bill
My piano teacher had an adult student who was severely visually impaired— his solution was to use an extremely large computer with a flat screen (basically large music stand size) and scan his music into it
He could then display even a single page into a very enlarged view

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
dogperson #2995578 06/26/20 06:06 PM
W
W
Originally Posted by Mickey_
Bill, I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry about your failing sight – and that I wish you success in learning to play as much as possible as soon as possible. <3

Will you let us know which course you went for?

I wish you all the best!

Thanks Mickey. That’s the risk for putting things off. But I’m still here. I have a good number of friends that didn’t make it out of their 50s.

I keep thinking of what it would have been like if I found the Duane Shinn program back when.

Originally Posted by dogperson
Hi Bill
My piano teacher had an adult student who was severely visually impaired— his solution was to use an extremely large computer with a flat screen (basically large music stand size) and scan his music into it
He could then display even a single page into a very enlarged view

Thanks DogPerson, I have thought of how I might be able to make that work for me. Great suggestion.

-Bill

Dmoss3 #2995581 06/26/20 06:16 PM
W
W
Originally Posted by Dmoss3
... I am going through the 52 week crash course and I want to put in the time to get good at piano

David M, how are you getting along with the DS 52WCC? Where are you now? I was really impressed with David B’s progression and his periodic videos were fun to watch.

Also, to the group, is the Crash Course something I could sell on after I am done with it? I saw that David B did sell his. Maybe that’s a path that would make sense for me?

Take care, Bill

TonyB #2995635 06/26/20 09:07 PM
L
L
Hi. Excuse me for interrupting. I thought it might be helpful to mention that many years ago, for playing by ear Duane recommended Germaine Griggs.

https://www.hearandplay.com/

WBLynch #2995657 06/26/20 10:12 PM
D
D
David M, how are you getting along with the DS 52WCC? Where are you now? I was really impressed with David B’s progression and his periodic videos were fun to watch.

It's going well! Im on lesson 8. Things have progresses really quickly because I do have some history playing the piano. I am making sure I have a good grasp of the methods being taught before moving on with the next lesson. I am practicing anywhere from 30 mins to 2+ hours a day. Things will slow down remarkably for me soon I am sure. Im looking forward to learning about arranging and runs and fillers. I will post my progress and may even post some videos of me playing like David B did (if I don't embarrass myself haha)

David M

Dmoss3 #2995659 06/26/20 10:19 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

It's going well! Im on lesson 8. Things have progresses really quickly because I do have some history playing the piano. I am making sure I have a good grasp of the methods being taught before moving on with the next lesson. I am practicing anywhere from 30 mins to 2+ hours a day. Things will slow down remarkably for me soon I am sure. Im looking forward to learning about arranging and runs and fillers. I will post my progress and may even post some videos of me playing like David B did (if I don't embarrass myself haha)

David M
You should! I have this theory that posting progress videos of one helps keep the momentum up on a difficult courses like this one. Certainly didn't hurt David B smile

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
TonyB #2995662 06/26/20 10:34 PM
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think David B is spot on about learning today vs. years ago. When I bought the 52-week course it was on VHS and cassette, and Duane was a phone call away. You went through the tapes and didn't have the option of switching to another YouTube channel or whatever. I think it was probably easier to stay the course and not chase all the other options out there. Maybe now there are so many choices it's harder to stay on a path.

WBLynch #2995705 06/27/20 02:54 AM
Also, to the group, is the Crash Course something I could sell on after I am done with it? I saw that David B did sell his. Maybe that’s a path that would make sense for me?

Take care, Bill
I think it’ll be easy to sell within the USA.
I had an issue with customs when I bought the first two weeks and wouldn’t buy the course in its original form.

Jaime CLP-645 😃
Tyrone Slothrop #2995707 06/27/20 03:16 AM
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I will post my progress and may even post some videos of me playing like David B did (if I don't embarrass myself haha)

David M
You should! I have this theory that posting progress videos of one helps keep the momentum up on a difficult courses like this one. Certainly didn't hurt David B smile

Yeah, you definitely should. One of the challenges with this course is the lack of support available. You can't connect with other students or the teacher.

This thread was started as a study group for the course and it would have been great if folks remained active with the material. It's always more interesting and helpful when you can share ideas and collaborate with other students. It's a tremendous support.

Remember Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Page 31 of 36 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 35 36

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bluthner upright pianos
by Starre - 10/30/20 12:49 PM
Tuning Pin Bushings Prevent Glue Seepage
by Duaner - 10/30/20 12:46 PM
Gospel-Jazz Chord Progression & Scale
by BB666 - 10/30/20 07:33 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,491
Posts3,018,761
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission