2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
L
L
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua
Forgive my ignorance - can an NV5, as opposed to NU1X, not be hooked up to a Mac running a VST, with sound output to a DAC ? (Marantz HD-DAC1 in my case) ?

Yep. It sounds like you're just asking whether the NV5 can output MIDI, which it certainly can.

Let me ask this way - what’s the advantage of the NU1X having a USB audio interface with firmware 2.0 ? That the piano itself puts out the VST sound as opposed to having to go to, like in my case, a headphone amp/DAC ? if of course the amp/DAC is better it would not be an advantage for me, unless latency were an issue ?

Last edited by LuxPerpetua; 06/13/20 10:05 AM.

Yamaha NU1X, Pianoteq 7 Pro, Bösendorfer Imperial, Garritan, Grandeur.
Focal Stellia headphones, Focal Arche headphone amplifier
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Advantage is using only one USB cable to run MIDI to the computer and then audio back to the piano through the piano speakers or headphones plugged into the piano. But you can always use external audio interface, DAC, amp, external speakers. You can also feed analog audio in the piano line in to still use the piano speakers but there are often problems with ground loops and noises whereas the USB solution is all digital and noiseless.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
L
L
Thank you, CyberGene.

Sadly there was no NV5 on the floor to try out, “just” the NV10.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
If you are using headphones, there isn't much advantage in the audio interface. It will never be faster than just outputting the headphones directly through the computer or your standalone audio interface.

The main benefit for the built-in audio interface is outputting your VST sound through your DP's speakers, since it allows you to get a digital signal into the DP rather than require a separate audio cable for line-in.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
L
L
Originally Posted by Gombessa
If you are using headphones, there isn't much advantage in the audio interface. It will never be faster than just outputting the headphones directly through the computer or your standalone audio interface.

The main benefit for the built-in audio interface is outputting your VST sound through your DP's speakers, since it allows you to get a digital signal into the DP rather than require a separate audio cable for line-in.
Thanks!
How’d you compare the action between NV5 and NV10. I know the concept but how’d you describe it ?

A
A
Hello everyone, great thread. Here is a video we made comparing the NV5 and CA99 Hybrid Pianos.

We also have individual videos on the CA99, the NV5 and the K300 AURUS

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua
How’d you compare the action between NV5 and NV10. I know the concept but how’d you describe it ?
I've never had a chance to try the NV5 yet, so I imagine I'm as curious about it as you are!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
M
M
I like the videos! But you know that the mods removed the links from your last post, right? Might happen again here.

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
G
G
Originally Posted by Alamo Music Center
Hello everyone, great thread. Here is a video we made comparing the NV5 and CA99 Hybrid Pianos.

We also have individual videos on the CA99, the NV5 and the K300 AURUS
I see that one of the comments that someone made about this video is that the playing "is boring". I mention that because I must admit that I didn't enjoy it, and I found the chosen piece of music rather unpleasant to listen to.
I think you would do yourselves a favour to choose something that is more mainstream and better for showing off the sounds and expression of the instrument. With more dynamic range, more use of low and high registers, and well, just more interesting and less discordant.
So, sadly although I listened right through (about 30 minutes) to the end, I didn't enjoy it to the extent that, tbh, I was relieved when it ended.
Maybe others feel differently, but as you asked for feedback on the video, this is mine. Sorry I can't be more encouraging.

N
N
Originally Posted by Tyr
For people who don't know me: I am one of the crazy people who are very very very pitty on everything about Digital Pianos. I've owned several Digitals (9 or 10 in total) in the last Three Years including the Kawai Novus NV10 and Yamaha NU1X Hybrids. Due to that I have a broad Experience about Yamaha and Kawai Models and every previous Model had something which i can't ignore hard enough to keep it more than a year. I was always seeking for the "perfect" Digital and i gave Kawai the 3rd try to convince me. So lets find out if it's a success. wink

Can I ask what was the thing you didn't like about NV10 and what made choose NV5 over it?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What does it mean: "I am very pitty" ?
Originally Posted by Tyr
I am one of the crazy people who are very very very pitty on everything about Digital Pianos.
Do you have pits? Or what?

Tyr Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Several unit related faults and the sound production in general (maybe also a unit problem). If the NV10 had been flawless like my NV5, I would have kept it.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
So "pitty" means "flawed"? Or what?

N
N
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

I think he meant picky. Tyr would you please elaborate more. What sound production issues did you face?

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Pithy

Kawai NV10
Tyr Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nice2care
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

I think he meant picky.

You're right. Auto correction sucks.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
Good morning. Could some recommend a pair of great headphones for Kawai NV5. Also, is NV5 has Bluetooth capability with a pair of wireless headphones? Thank you so much.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lialim88
Also, is NV5 has Bluetooth capability with a pair of wireless headphones?
No. Digital pianos do not use Bluetooth for headphones, because it has too much lag, which makes it essentially unusable for live playing.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Thank you for the reply :-)
My new Novus 5 arrived this morning, I am super happy. I bid goodbye to my old CA93. For some reason, the NV5 sounds a bit muffled than the CA93. I guess I will have to spend some time figuring it out the sound setting. I placed the NV5 about 20" from the wall and have the Wall EQ turned on. Any suggestions help, thanks :-) xoxoxo

Sorry couldn't figure out how to insert photos here :-(

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
lialim. Wishing you many happy days with the NV5. Try turning Wall EQ off and see how it sounds. BTW, you may not need to be that far from the wall. Senn HD598's seem to be popular for Kawai pianos.

Last edited by TomLC; 07/03/20 01:38 PM.

Kawai NV10
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission