2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Thanks dhull!

Rich - Read a lot of Your comments, & watched many of Your YouTube videos, particularly the ones of Hugh Sung playing the VCs, as well touring the Bösendorfer Factory. Some I watched, rewatched & rewatched & ... Was very helpful! Say thanks to Hugh, also!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Holy Andras Schiff, that's a quantum leap from what you were considering !

So you obviously must have the room for it ? Congrats !

I had no intention of buying the 280VC - The thought never crossed My mind. Yesterday, I began to think about how I could accommodate the 214VC. The creative juices started flowing & so did the solutions for space. By the time I went to sleep - My mind was pretty much set on the 214VC. When I went to the Dealer, that’s what had My eye on

They say, ‘Necessity is the Mother of Invention’

Come delivery, One way or another - There will be room

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I have just been reading this thread.Congratulations on what seems like a magnificent piano !

L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Thanks Lady Bird!

I’ve read a lot of Your comments

You’re a Character - One of a Kind

And I mean That in the Best way possible!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Lucubrate
Thanks Lady Bird!

I’ve read a lot of Your comments

You’re a Character - One of a Kind

And I mean That in the Best way possible!

~Lucubrate
Thank You Lucubrate !
Well have many happy hours with your wonderful Bosendorfer !
One day I hope to play one of those Incredible pianos. Enjoy!

L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Thanks Lady Bird - And You continue to enjoy Your Sauter!

When I was considering Verticals, I read a lot about Your 130

Between You & Norbert, particularly when describing the action, convinced Me to call up My local dealer Sauter Dealer (Northwest Pianos) & see if They had a 130MC in-house. I spoke with Cheri K (Manager), she said They didn’t, but would call the factory in Germany to check on availability. One is/was currently under construction & will ship out at the end of July

Probably too much info, but There’re not a lot of Them floating around

Anyways - You & Your piano made an impression on Me

~Lucubrate

Last edited by Lucubrate; 06/24/20 01:20 AM.

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

K
K
The 280VC was everything I’d heard or read. Felt like My hands were at the helm of a beautiful Yacht. It was steady, easy & had an air of gentle Gravitas. If My description fails to convey how magnificent it was, blame Me & My inability to do it justice, because It was all That!

So I bought it
~Lucubrate

Wow, that's quite a project scope creep, going from a 170VC to 280VC!!!

While the smaller pianos are lovely, 280VC is in an entirely different category.

If the piano physically fits in the room, the room is big enough. I have over 17' of pianos in a smallish living room, and it's fine. You just learn to play more gently and deftly.

Congratulations!

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
My room isn't huge - 20' X 20' with an A frame ceiling peaking at 15 ' in the middle. I can play with it open on full stick but more out of laziness, I keep the lid closed.

While for certain it would sound better in a larger room, it's never been overwhelming at all. But I don't have a heavy touch.

Find a tech who has experience voicing Bosendorfers, and preferably the new VC models. Two techs, one I currently have, and another one who has done work for me in the past, have both been to the Bosendorfer factory.

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Thanks dhull!

Rich - Read a lot of Your comments, & watched many of Your YouTube videos, particularly the ones of Hugh Sung playing the VCs, as well touring the Bösendorfer Factory. Some I watched, rewatched & rewatched & ... Was very helpful! Say thanks to Hugh, also!

~Lucubrate

Hi Lucubrate!

That is why we make them. I sometimes wonder who watches our videos..... now I know. thumb

You made a great choice in the 280VC. By the way, during the pandemic many concerts were cancelled here in the Philadelphia area. We offered streaming services in our showroom and a few people took us up on it. Here is Clipper Erickson performing from our showroom on the 280VC. (Make it a full screen).

Clipper Erickson from The Cunningham Showroom

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Ken Iisaka
Wow, that's quite a project scope creep, going from a 170VC to 280VC!!!

Yep - It’s been a wonderful journey!

Aside from wanting to learn the piano for years, actually acting on that desire started off by simply Googling something like ‘Best Pianos for Small Spaces’

I read several articles, most like the one in the thread:

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...-7-best-acoustic-pianos.html#Post2993919

That lead to more online research, culminating in calls to local dealers carrying smaller Boston & Yamaha uprights

I went to go look at a Yamaha b3 at Classic Pianos, & eventually ended up purchasing a Schimmel C120, from Them

I got the Piano Bug pretty bad & realized I’m gonna want to continue to learn & play for the rest of My life

That lead Me to considering upgrading from the C120 (not because I had outgrown the C120 by any means, but because I wanted to be playing on something I felt I could use for decades) to a nicer upright or even a smaller Grand. However, if I was going to go with a smaller Grand, I didn’t want it to be more limited than say, a tier 1 upright. So, during the Covid shutdown, I was researching online, the pros & cons of smaller Grands & comparing that to what I was learning about the top tier verticals

In the end, I ended up purchasing the Bösendorfer 280VC, from the same gentlemen who I initially called on to see the Yamaha b3 - Pretty Crazy, right!

Compared to many, the journey hasn’t been as long - But it’s been exciting & wonderful!

Here on PW, I’ve spent 99% of My time searching & researching old threads. Now that I’ve made My last piano purchase for life, I hope to spend more time reading & learning from current conversations

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
My room isn't huge - 20' X 20' with an A frame ceiling peaking at 15 ' in the middle. I can play with it open on full stick but more out of laziness, I keep the lid closed.

While for certain it would sound better in a larger room, it's never been overwhelming at all. But I don't have a heavy touch.

I too was concerned regarding piano size vs room size. I read a lot of past threads here, on the subject. Member OE1FEU, in one thread in particular: https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...piano-advice-based-on-my-music-room.html ... helped assuage some of those concerns. Also, after playing the 280VC, I was amazed at how softly it can play

Find a tech who has experience voicing Bosendorfers, and preferably the new VC models. Two techs, one I currently have, and another one who has done work for me in the past, have both been to the Bosendorfer factory.

Great Advice & I’m on it!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
That is why we make them. I sometimes wonder who watches our videos..... now I know. thumb

I watched many of Them!

When I wanted to better understand the difference between Baby Grands & Grands - Your video w/ Hugh was the First I watched

I enjoy researching topics I’m interested in. Covid has giving Me an even better excuse to spend hours & hours studying up on Pianos. I watched every YouTube video on the Bösendorfer VC models (many multiple times) & most on Bösendorfer

It’s a pleasure meeting You,... & Thanks again for all Your great content!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Here is Clipper Erickson performing from our showroom on the 280VC. (Make it a full screen).

Clipper Erickson from The Cunningham Showroom

Clipper is awesome. Some decades ago, I played the Franck Quintet with him. Real powerhouse, and very intelligent.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
. Also, after playing the 280VC, I was amazed at how softly it can play.

That might the most amazing aspect of the 280 VC I played at Keyboard Concepts. I don't recall ever having the control on any piano that sounded that great at ppp playing.

Also the fact that they said they had just un-crated it a week earlier and put it on the floor with zero prep. A couple of the higher unisons were a tad out but overall, it was remarkably in tune, with no glaring voicing problems either.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie
Clipper is awesome. Some decades ago, I played the Franck Quintet with him. Real powerhouse, and very intelligent.

Wait... Maestro Lennie - when/where did you play with Clipper? (Yes, he is a very fine player).

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Wow, incredible choice Lucubrate! I only got to try a Bösendorfer 214VC and found it absolutely amazing. I can’t even imagine a 280VC. Congratulations and Best Wishes. Please post pictures on delivery.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Thanks j&j!

The 214VC was gonna a be the One for Me

I only sat down at the 280VC because, They had one... so of course I’m gonna play It!

The difference from the 214VC to the 280VC was material, a greater demarcation than from the 185VC to the 214VC

I need to figure out how to post pictures, My effort on the serial # was less than successful

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Try these photo uploading instructions from Ebony Kawai

Uploading photos

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

Wait... Maestro Lennie - when/where did you play with Clipper? (Yes, he is a very fine player).
Blue Hill, ages ago.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber

Blue Hill, ages ago.

Oh yeah. I have never been there but I know of the festival. It is very well respected. Wasn’t Seymour Lipkin the founder.... or at least a very long time director?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission