2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rage44 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi folks,

first post on this forum; I signed in because I didin't find much info on french forums and it seems that I can have all my answers here!

So I'm 42, I've been playing guitar since I'm 16 and keyboards since I'm 22. I use to play synthetizers like Roland XP10 or Roalnd JUNO D, but I sold them since I wasnt playing much in a band and mainly as a MIDI controller with Cubase on my PC. I only play easy parts of pop music, I don't have a good technique. I've got basics in musical theory (scales, sheets reading, chords,...) but I would like to learn on a real 88 weighted digital piano and also convince my 2 daughters to learn piano

I think the DGX660 might be the best option for me, since it has good sounds to have fun with, auto accompagnement, recording functions,... but I also need to be able to connect it to a computer and use MIDI functions.

1. Can I playback MIDI files stored on an USB key ? Is the DGX660 able to playback the 16 parts of a MIDI File? for example I would like to playback a Coldplay song and just mute the piano part, to practise it while the other instruments still run

2. How does the DGX660 behave when connected to a computer? A friend of mine owns a P125 and it behaves like a digital audio interface; meaning that when connected to his computer, the sound comes out from his DP' speakers. SO for example you can playback a track with battery, synth and orchestral sounds generated by VSTs and mix it with the DP's piano sound.
I checked in the DGX' owner manual but didn't find any clear information about that, whereas it's clearly specified in the P125's manual

Thank you for your attention

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I doubt the piano can do this.
Originally Posted by Rage44
Can I playback MIDI files stored on an USB key? Is the DGX660 able to playback the 16 parts of a MIDI File? for example I would like to playback a Coldplay song and just mute the piano part, to practise it while the other instruments still run.
I think you'd need to run DAW software on your computer, edit the MIDI, remove the piano part, render the audio, and play it back.

The P125 has an audio interface, so it can be connected to PC via USB and can render the audio. The DGX660 does not have this.
A friend of mine owns a P125 and it behaves like a digital audio interface; meaning that when connected to his computer, the sound comes out from his DP' speakers. I checked in the DGX' owner manual but didn't find any clear information about that, whereas it's clearly specified in the P125's manual.
But the DGX660 does have an audio line input. You can feed audio into there ... from your phone or from your PC's line output or headphone output.

R
Rage44 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
THank you for you reply

Aw I'm disappointed, I expected to connect the DGX660 to my laptop without using my USB soundcard and mix his piano sound without having to connect in audio from headphone OUT to my laptop IN

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Note that linking a PC to a digital piano both in audio and USB can create a ground loop noise. You shouldn’t be surprised if you hear some (but it is possible that all is ok). To get rid of ground loop, some isolators exists (Behringer HD400)

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
L
L
1. Can I playback MIDI files stored on an USB key ? Is the DGX660 able to playback the 16 parts of a MIDI File? for example I would like to playback a Coldplay song and just mute the piano part, to practise it while the other instruments still run

2. How does the DGX660 behave when connected to a computer? A friend of mine owns a P125 and it behaves like a digital audio interface; meaning that when connected to his computer, the sound comes out from his DP' speakers. SO for example you can playback a track with battery, synth and orchestral sounds generated by VSTs and mix it with the DP's piano sound.

I own a Yamaha DGX-660 and believe that it will likely do "Question #1", above. I have done this with classical music without a problem. The challenge may be that the DGX's track on/off switching section has 6 buttons, not 16. The instrument therefore has to assign multiple tracks to some buttons.

In classical music, it always assigns the lead instrument's left and right hand parts to the first two buttons. So I switch off those two buttons and play the lead tracks myself. My only caution is that I have not tried this with pop/rock music, but it should behave in the same way.

As to "Question #2", above, that should work if you use the audio input. This will not allow you to manipulate the input (switching off tracks, etc.), but you should be able to combine that input with what you play on the keys. I have not tried this myself, but recall seeing Yamaha videos that indicate it is possible.

Yamaha has manuals additional to the Owner's Manual online, e.g., "MIDI Reference" and "Computer-related Operations" at http:/download.yamaha.com. These may indicate a way to accomplish what you envision, though I think that the newer P-125's interface is superior in this respect.

The DGX-660 is widely distributed in the US, and you should be able to find it at local chain stores such as Guitar Center to experiment for yourself. Good luck!

Last edited by Lotus1; 06/24/20 01:44 PM.
R
Rage44 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Lotus1
As to "Question #2", above, that should work if you use the audio input. This will not allow you to manipulate the input (switching off tracks, etc.), but you should be able to combine that input with what you play on the keys. I have not tried this myself, but recall seeing Yamaha videos that indicate it is possible.

Yes sure it will work this way but it's less convenient

Yamaha has manuals additional to the Owner's Manual online, e.g., "MIDI Reference" and "Computer-related Operations" at http:/download.yamaha.com. These may indicate a way to accomplish what you envision, though I think that the newer P-125's interface is superior in this respect.

I've looked into those manuals, and yes the P125 has this extra feature

The DGX-660 is widely distributed in the US, and you should be able to find it at local chain stores such as Guitar Center to experiment for yourself. Good luck!

I'm french wink but there s a huge piano store near my home, it's quite like being in a toy store for those who love pianos ! I have to find some time to spend there

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission