2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
OP Offline
M
I'm an adult beginner. I use Piano Marvel to help me learn the staff, but I have a good teacher who uses the Russian Piano Method (she learned in the Soviet Union, and taught at a music school there).

I know that she's going to be great at teaching me the correct way to play, but I'd love to hear some people who started learning as an adult (I'm 51).

What wisdom can you impart that will either make my learning experience easier (and more effective) or, on the flip side, what would you suggest that I NOT do?

Thanks!

MD

------------------------------------------------------------
Kawaii MP8ii
Piano Marvel
"Russian School of Piano Playing" by Nikolaev
Pianoteq
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Be kind and patient to yourself in your piano journey. Think "the hare and the tortoise". Slow and steady will win the race. Good luck in your journey! smile

Kawai K500
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I sympathize with you, as I began weeks from being 50. And as a complete starter in music... And now, a bit more than two years later, I am delighted I took that decision. So try to practice regularly and be sure progress will happen!

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Be patient, enjoy the learning process and practice everyday.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Age quod agis

Learner
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Don't think that you're going to have an easy time of learning the piano. It takes lots of patience and you really need to make sure you practice every day. Better to practice lesser time IMO but to practice every day. I have heard countless stories on here about a few days off ending up being weeks or more.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all and I'm glad you got a teacher. Just remember that piano really takes quite a few years to get to a decent level of playing. Most important thing is to enjoy the ride.

Peace

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
As was mentioned earlier. Think of it as a marathon and not a sprint.

At times you will think that you are not making any progress, keep going it is not a linear learning curve.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
M
OP Offline
M
Great suggestions. Thanks so much, everyone!

I've already made the mistake of being waaaaay too hard on myself. By lesson 2 (I've had 3), my teacher reprimanded me for not tolerating mistakes while I was trying to sight read a piece that she gave me.

This is definitely going to require rewiring my brain a bit...

Kawaii MP8ii
Piano Marvel
"Russian School of Piano Playing" by Nikolaev
Pianoteq
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It's a very long, hilly, winding and never-ending road but with lots of beautiful scenic vistas to admire and enjoy along the way.

And the higher you get, the more amazing the scenery......... thumb

If music be the food of love, play on!
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Enjoy practicing and eventually you'll play music. Don't expect it to be overnight and don't listen to those who claim that it happens that way.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Your teacher may be quite fussy about technique since this is quite typical of the Russian School. This is probably a good thing because, with time, it allows you to play pieces many will not be able to play because of limitations in their technique.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by M Dominic

I've already made the mistake of being waaaaay too hard on myself. By lesson 2 (I've had 3), my teacher reprimanded me for not tolerating mistakes while I was trying to sight read a piece that she gave me.

Then another reminder for you: lessons are not a performance and definitely not a time to impress your teacher with how far you have progressed since your last lesson.

Think of them as a golden opportunity to identify your flaws with a professional available to help you find solutions.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
First and foremost, complete relaxation throughout the body.

Second, repetition. Repeat the simplest pieces endlessly.

Quality always over quantity.

At first, it will all seem same, but after 1000s of repetitions you will discover something completely new. This discovery will introduce you to a world of creating sound you had never imagined.

This thread covers my journey. smile

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...an-method-online-course.html#Post2618357

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I'm an adult learner. Even after a few years playing, I'm constantly learning new pieces I haven't played before. The pieces I'm working on is very much within an intermediate level.

Today there are repertoire available online that can be downloaded. You don't need to start with the nursery songs used to put a baby to sleep. I got a book for easy piano a while back and started with "When the Saints Go Marching In" & "Ode to Joy" in day 1. You don't need to practice for a few years to get to a song you like. There are many beginner & intermediate arrangements online.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I think the best thing I have learned is being patient. I was always racing a clock like "I should have this piece polished by now, I'm too slow, poor me, why can't I do what they do?, etc." I have no idea what the rush was. I recently learned to be patient and this came from my teacher that also has a very similar background to your teacher and we spend tons of time on pieces and technique. This is also my first time having lessons and I would absolutely say keep with a teacher if you can. While the time I had without one was not a waste I definitely take it more serious with a teacher and progress much better. I notice I enjoy the lessons more and more as months go on. So many things they point out and teach that I would never picked up in piano marvel or videos. Have fun and stick with it even if just a few minutes days it sure adds up fast.

E
E
Welcome to the incredible world of music!

As your teacher I'm sure will tell you, do not burn out on belabouring pieces early on. You can always come back and perfect them later. You will always make mistakes when playing at your level. Later on, those same pieces will be a walk in the park, but you need to keep moving.

Reading notation may seem akin to chewing glass now, but if you get good at it you will be thanking your lucky stars for it later on.

As others have said, it will be a journey, a long one. Make it about the journey, not the destination. Enjoy the music you're playing at the moment, because there is good music at every level. If you get disheartened by apparent lack of progress or slowness, keep coming back to this: you are playing music, now. That's what it's all about. The improvement will come in its own time so long as you keep playing.

Do not get caught up in side distractions and forum minutiae like what is the perfect velocity curve for your VST early on. Get good at playing first.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I was ten years older than you when I started (from scratch). If I had it to do it over again, I would start lessons from the very beginning. I self-taught for a couple of years and I'm still struggling to fix certain things.

As others have said, it's a journey with no end. Be patient with yourself. You might not see improvement day to day, but over weeks and months and years, you will see that you have indeed come a long way.

Dogperson makes a good point about lessons not being a performance. This is something it took me a long time to internalize (and it still whispers at me over my left shoulder from time to tome). If you have a good teacher, trust that teacher to be your guide. Your teacher knows what you need to know and how to get you where you need to go.

Make use of this forum. The Achievement of the Week thread is a great tool to help you stop and think about what has worked for you recently--and there always is something, even when it feels like you're swimming in a sea of mistakes.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I started at 54 and now it's already 7.5 years later, but seems like yesterday. I have a few tips but nothing earth shattering.

1. listen to your teacher, never hide anything from them and never try take to short cuts.
2. Practice regularly and be organised, (some people like to keep notes, I like to keep a diary and look back how I was feeling in those early years)
3. Expect the first year to be tough. You might want to give up at times, but stick with it, it gets easier to deal with problems, but piano remains hard.
4. Don't set unrealistic goals, if you think a piece is going to take two months, more that likely its going to take six
5. Progress is made by analyzing problems and doing something about it through practice. Reading books about problems is next to useless
6. Buy the best piano you can possibly afford (I should have remodeled the house to fit in a grand 😁)
7. When listening to new pieces to learn, if it sounds easy it is most likely incredibly hard.
8. Learn from this forum but don't compare yourself to others here, or on youtube, it's your own journey.
9. Anything is possible by very small steps.
10. Enjoy the journey

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
All of the above, plus:

Be aware that we practice while awake (at least I hope so) but we learn while asleep.

Recent research has shown this clearly. New pathways form and are strengthened during certain stages of sleep.

So sleep well and, if possible, have a short nap after practice sometimes.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by M Dominic

Then another reminder for you: lessons are not a performance and definitely not a time to impress your teacher with how far you have progressed since your last lesson.

Think of them as a golden opportunity to identify your flaws with a professional available to help you find solutions.

This point is so important, and one I still fall down at. Last week I relearnt Bach Invention No 8 in a week and I was so so keen to impress my teacher that I had done that that when I came to play it, I could hardly get a note right and I starting getting very nervous. Later in the lesson, she said to me - show me how you were practising by playing until you make a mistake and then show my what you did then. Released with the permission to make a mistake I almost played it right through.

For me, this is expressed the best in the book "The Perfect Wrong Note" by William Westney. Transformational for me.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission