2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (ChrisGoesPiano, AmyBNE, Calavera, cygnusdei, CraiginNZ, 14 invisible), 512 guests, and 425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If you look at the Piano Buyer brand profiles, the largest Samick-branded piano currently offered in the US is a 6’1” model. There is a 7’ Knabe, also a 6’10” Pramberger, and an ED Seiler 6’10” that they produce. Likely all different scale designs.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
L
L
I'm not sure if you folks realize it, but some of your comments come off elitist and presumptuous. I recommend you think about that.

Knowing Sangah like I do, I can tell you that:

- Sangah has played on many, many pianos here and in Korea, and she knows a good piano from a bad one. She enjoys her recent Samick. It was a good decision for her based on REAL LIFE factors of cost, time frame, availability, etc.

- She knows her piano isn't in tune (and had a few other minor issues as well). BUT WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC! A tech had to wait for a variety of reasons, and soon she might have a chance to finally take care of it. She has had to slog thru it for quite a while now regretfully.

- "Sangah Noona" streams live three days a week. There's no intentional manipulation of the sound, which some here appear to be implying? If you watch more than this one video, you will realize that her skill level is considerable and diverse. You should also realize how much goes into producing her shows. She's a busy lady! The room is inviting with careful lighting design, and the videos and sound are exceptonal for a social streaming audience. There's a lot of skill that goes into the production of her streams. As an IT consultant with 35+ years of experience, her product is exceptional considering the time frames and budget she faces.

- Sangah sings occasionally because she likes to. She doesn't profess to be a singer. But we like it, and encourage it. It's good to read positive comments about it. Her shows are meant to be as if you were sitting around in her living room watching her entertain friends. It's very casual, improvisational, interpersonal, and geared for a social platform.

Bottom Line: It's not all about the technical attributes of a piano. Sangah overcomes those challenges every week with charm, grace, and an innate ability to improvise with what's in front of her. That's part of the charm of a very good lounge pianist, and I'm not sure all highly skilled pianists can pull that off with a very expensive piano.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/sangahnoona Th, Fri, Sat 8-9pm ET
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/sangahnoona Th, Fri, Sat 9-??pm ET

Last edited by Loreto85375; 06/22/20 07:30 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hey Loreto. Are you friends with Sangah? If so, please thank her for her "Por Una Cabeza" arrangement. It's the only one worth playing as a solo piano piece, in my opinion. I changed the syncopation a little, but otherwise, it's all her. I hope to post a recording one day, and take a lot of inspiration from her setup. I still think her piano sounds very good, and I agree: her show and the number of songs she is able to crank out, and with the quality she does, are amazing.

Daily driver: Yamaha Avantgrand N1
First crush: Kawai GL10, MP11SE
Current fling: Petrof III
Foster child: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
That first video- Dream a Little Dream! I think I am in love, again.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
J
J
Originally Posted by Loreto85375
I'm not sure if you folks realize it, but some of your comments come off elitist and presumptuous. I recommend you think about that.

- Sangah has played on many, many pianos here and in Korea, and she knows a good piano from a bad one. She enjoys her recent Samick. It was a good decision for her based on REAL LIFE factors of cost, time frame, availability, etc.

- She knows her piano isn't in tune (and had a few other minor issues as well). BUT WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC! A tech had to wait for a variety of reasons, and soon she might have a chance to finally take care of it. She has had to slog thru it for quite a while now regretfully.

- "Sangah Noona" streams live three days a week. There's no intentional manipulation of the sound, which some here appear to be implying? If you watch more than this one video, you will realize that her skill level is considerable and diverse. You should also realize how much goes into producing her shows. She's a busy lady! The room is inviting with careful lighting design, and the videos and sound are exceptonal for a social streaming audience. There's a lot of skill that goes into the production of her streams. As an IT consultant with 35+ years of experience, her product is exceptional considering the time frames and budget she faces.

- Sangah sings occasionally because she likes to. She doesn't profess to be a singer. But we like it, and encourage it. It's good to read positive comments about it. Her shows are meant to be as if you were sitting around in her living room watching her entertain friends. It's very casual, improvisational, interpersonal, and geared for a social platform.

Bottom Line: It's not all about the technical attributes of a piano. Sangah overcomes those challenges every week with charm, grace, and an innate ability to improvise with what's in front of her. That's part of the charm of a very good lounge pianist, and I'm not sure all highly skilled pianists can pull that off with a very expensive piano.

They realize.

Coming of as elitist and presumptuous is considered a major accomplishment for some of the more active members. They are dedicated to their craft and it shows in the consistancy of their work. Its not as easy as they make it look.

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
7000 Post Club Member
WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC!

The video in question was posted on March 6th, before the lockdown.

Her YouTube channel describes her as a "professional pianist", and she's posted countless videos, so criticism is fair game.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G

I didn't like the video style which I thought over produced, but the younger generations probably have the opposite view. Piano playing I thought a bit ordinary for a professional pianist although much better than anything of mine of course. Loved the singing, that was my favourite part of the vid.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
We have a 23 year old Samick 225 here. Had a good life in a home, regularly maintained by a very good tech. He was never asked to do more than the basics by the owner. We took it in trade and spent some real time bringing out its potential...and it really does a lot well. It's quite musical. It has a good bass break, easy pianissimo, warmer even than my preference when sitting at the bench, but stepping back, good projection. The pedal design isn't as robust as it should be, but that's not an expensive repair. It has quite a lot going for it for the price. It wasn't on my list to record, but if it lingers, it just might get recorded.

We've found some of the larger used grands from both Samick and Young Chang to have quite good components and materials. So many were never given the needed final prep and regular maintenance that it's easy to find flaws over their strengths. We had a 7' Weber from the early 90's with Kluge keys, full Renner action, expensive soundboard panel and put into a tank of a cabinet. We didn't analyze the scale design, we prepped it for sale by making it nice, pleasant, musical. It arrived unremarkable, but left as a robust and generally good piano that went on to serve a church very well. They got good value for money.

It's not all roses or diamonds in the rough, but some really are.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
[...]

That a somewhat ... interesting? ... and certainly admonishing first statement in a new member's first post.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...]

That a somewhat ... interesting? ... and certainly admonishing first statement in a new member's first post.

Even more so that was the opening line in the first post, nothing like setting the tone for what is likely to follow :-) If Loreto sticks around and hasn't already run away it should be fun.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was having my cup of coffee this morning and watched the video. As a listener, the music was very enjoyable. Subscribed.

From a technicians point of view, i could identify a few problems: tuning was off, regulation could be improved, the voicing of the hammers was too bright for my tastes. But none of those really took away from the music.
I'd say the hammers tips were too hard, but not the whole hammer. This could be corrected in a single tuning appointment. Assuming the pianist wanted it softer, she may like it bright. If the whole hammer was too hard, there would have been sustain issues, and i heard no sustain issues. The tone could be opened up a little and this would add more of a dynamic range , and fullness to the piano. The tremolos indicate to me the action was "fast enough" and her delicacy of playing indicates a "light enough" action. I don't know when she had the piano serviced last, but a simple regulation and lubrication to keep friction in check would probably serve her piano well.

Thanks for sharing the video.

-chris

Chernobieff Piano Restorations
"Where Tone is Key"
Lenoir City, Tennessee U.S.A
www.chernobieffpiano.com
Youtube https://tinyurl.com/5aw83b73

L
L
Oh my, what led you to this acrid, cynical view of life @Retsacnal? You are actually going to quibble about the date of the lockdown, when it was called a national emergency only a few days later? Seriously? Like you would want a tech coming into your house during that time when everyone knew by then it was a dangerous situation?

So, yesterday Sangah finally managed to have her piano tuned. Feel free to review THE PIANO again. https://youtu.be/_V7i0-iogkM

As far as being a professional, that's obvious. Criticism about her play is questionable. This is the forum for discussion about the pianos, not the perceived skill of the artist, except to where it has an effect upon the quality of the instrument.

Please post yourself playing your piano so that we may all critique you in kind!

L
L
I'm 60 @gwing. I think that qualifies me for the older generation at this point.

How dare I have the impertinence to question the snarky opinions of yenta-wannabe's who don't post themselves playing?

Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Hi
I'm 60 @gwing. I think that qualifies me for the older generation at this point.

How dare I have the impertinence to question the snarky opinions of yenta-wannabe's who don't post themselves playing?

Non-professional pianists here are allowed to have an opinion of professional ones... and that opinion does not need to be justified based on the skill of the amateur. That’s the way it works.

Members are not banned from posting about pianists on this forum. That’s also just the way it works here

Last edited by dogperson; 06/26/20 01:31 PM.
L
L
Thank you Chris.

This was very meaningful analysis. It's what this particular forum was intended. Your remarks are professional, technically insightful, and neutral in its attempt to analyze an instrument and bring out its best qualities.

Here's an excerpt from yesterday's livestream, right after having her piano tuned. Could you listen again and interpret?

https://youtu.be/_V7i0-iogkM?t=1634

Thanks!

I agree that when you post video recordings of your piano playing on YouTube, Facebook or elsewhere, you do indeed open yourself up to criticism. Sometimes the criticism may be deserved and sometimes not. In fact, the critics will criticize the best of the best at times, just because it is what they like to do.

Not sure this analogy applies here, but it is well documented that Eddie Bond, a well know music industry professional, told Elvis Presley to stick to driving a truck, after he heard him audition. Boy was Eddie wrong.

Fact is, I've heard several regular members here play, and have heard a few play in person. I was more than impressed, and had nothing but praise and admiration for their musical skills and abilities.

As for me, it doesn't take much at all to play better than me... but that doesn't keep me from playing the piano and having fun! smile

Back to 7 footers, when I was in the market for a better grand piano that I currently had, I played a 7' Young Chang and an older, well worn Yamaha C7 side by side at a piano dealer. The YC did sound good and play well. But the old, well-worn Yamaha C7 impressed me like I had never been impressed before.

I didn't buy either of those pianos, although the dealer did give me a price quote. However, I set my sights on a Yamaha C7 and found an older one in much better condition than the one at the dealer, and for a lot less money. Not saying I wouldn't buy another piano, but the C7 is a keeper! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
L
L
"PIANO FORUM - Discussions about pianos (instruments and manufacturers). Piano reviews. Tell us about your new piano!"

Emery Wang's original post was about the merits of a 7' Samick. But some of you need in life to be personally negative, instead of helping Emery and other's seek help in what they want to know about. It's not for Emery's benefit. It's just for your own sick amusement.

That's just the way IT WAS MEANT to work here.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Loreto, welcome to the forum. As the OP, I am thankful for all the input on this thread. This forum, like most places on the internet, can be a rough and tumble place. But based on the 2 year's worth of questions and comments I've posted, I can say that the members here have been beyond helpful. Between this and the tech forum, I have gained so much invaluable information. When I ask a dumb question, some will let me know that and I appreciate the brutal honesty! All in all this is a great forum and I appreciate all the members I have encountered. I hope you give this forum community a chance.

As for Sangah, her claim to fame as I see it, is as an improvisational pianist. She also is quite talented and has charisma out the wazoo. As someone who can't improvise his way out of a wet paper bag, I'm very impressed with her abilities. I don't know if I'll ever buy a Samick, but I really like the sound of hers.

Last edited by Emery Wang; 06/26/20 04:22 PM.

Daily driver: Yamaha Avantgrand N1
First crush: Kawai GL10, MP11SE
Current fling: Petrof III
Foster child: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I am glad you found YOUR piano Emery ! You did end up buying the Petrof grand I believe.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 06/26/20 04:29 PM. Reason: spelling
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Here is my opinion based a lot on my experience as an in-home tuner for about 17 years a few decades ago.

A lot of people try to fit the biggest piano possible into their available space. This doesn’t often result in a good balance. The temptation to get a 7 footer for that beefy bass growl can compromise everything else.

It’s so easy to end up with an instrument that’s too loud and overwhelming. It drives the sound into distortion and it just becomes a muddy mess. You lose all the beauty for the sake of a half dozen bass notes.

A piano sized for the room and acoustics is going to bring a whole lot more enjoyment. A 5’3” or 5’7” piano could easily sound superior once the whole package is balanced.

To my ear, the videos and links posted above are not indicative of inferior pianos as much as too big instruments played too harshly.

I always thought of Samick pianos as a bit mushy and sluggish but I haven’t touched one in over 20 years. They can be easily improved and can be an intelligent purchase.

After all that... I would rather have a great 5’7 piano than a mediocre 7 footer.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Mehlin & Sons Piano Identification
by LeviWhitted - 12/06/21 08:37 PM
jack position button not present in old grand
by f4tune81 - 12/06/21 08:11 PM
Thinking about recital #65
by stevedoz - 12/06/21 04:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,420
Posts3,151,114
Members103,539
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission