2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
51 members (clothearednincompo, brendon, andredatele, Carey, anotherscott, chopinetto, 36251, 13 invisible), 638 guests, and 466 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Maurizio Pollini - A Musical Portrait
#2994195 06/22/20 07:34 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
B
In an era dominated by YouTube sensations and children in diapers playing La Campanella, and flashy young virtuosi playing flashy music deranged by themselves because the original piano pieces weren't flashy enough to elicit standing ovations, it's refreshing to be reminded of the staying power of the grey hair wink and wisdom borne of decades of concentrated study and concertizing from........when they were kids in diapers playing the Hammerklavier.

When it comes to musical and pianistic intellectualism and vigour (not to mention rigour), Pollini immediately springs to mind. His fingers these days might not be as un-erring as they once were (like his teacher Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, his inability to hit wrong notes was the stuff of legends - I saw him play the Schumann Fantasie in C at least four times over four decades, but he never even came close to splitting a note in the March's treacherous coda, despite his fearless tempo), but his refusal to compromise and his disdain for charm or beauty for its own sake - extending, like Richter, to never playing any transcriptions - never left him: he is one of the few pianists whose playing is immediately recognizable and distinctive, but never for its waywardness. And who else has a rep extending from Bach to Boulez, and from Schubert to Stockhausen to Sciarrino?

I came across this rare illuminating documentary by accident, and learnt a lot about him that I didn't know before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMpcUEVijyE

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Maurizio Pollini - A Musical Portrait
bennevis #2994210 06/22/20 09:20 PM
K
K
I saw Pollini many times in the 70’s at Carnegie Hall. I used to get front row seats keyboard side for $6. The hall was half empty then as he wasn’t well known but I knew him by his Chopin etudes and Stravinsky Petrushka/Prokofiev 7th sonata album. The latter reminded me of my 78s because was only half full per side and I never saw a modern classical music album so empty but the playing was extraordinary and still holds it’s own even today almost 50 years later. I remember one evening where he played the op 25 etudes of Chopin and early on surprised me by missing a simple stretch in the first etude which I attributed to nerves because all the rest were flawless. I never fully understood Beethoven’s op 111 until I heard him play it live.

bennevis #2994221 06/22/20 10:13 PM
S
S
Just watched this thoughtfully done documentary. An insight not only to his approach to music but also an insight to the man himself.

Thank you for recommending it

bennevis #2994227 06/22/20 11:18 PM
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Pollini is why I play the piano. That's probably coincidence more than anything. But...he's the only pianist who evoked such powerful emotion from Wanderer Fantasy. I happened to have one recording of his version and it happened to be solo piano music that resonated with me, and then I started to play piano. Later I listened to every version I could put my hands on. None of the most recognizable professional pianists play it in that perfect way (perhaps you, reader, have a similar piece?). The closest performance I've heard was actually from someone on this board who is not a professional.

Anyways, I like his style. He's not my 'go-to' choice for most works, but I will always appreciate that he inspired me to take up the struggle, and the fleeting (if incomparable) rewards that it offers.

Last edited by hawgdriver; 06/22/20 11:19 PM.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
bennevis #2994273 06/23/20 06:12 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Fascinating. Many thanks for posting!

regards
Pete
hawgdriver #2994335 06/23/20 10:49 AM
Online Content
Originally Posted by hawgdriver
Pollini is why I play the piano. That's probably coincidence more than anything. But...he's the only pianist who evoked such powerful emotion from Wanderer Fantasy. I happened to have one recording of his version and it happened to be solo piano music that resonated with me, and then I started to play piano. Later I listened to every version I could put my hands on. None of the most recognizable professional pianists play it in that perfect way (perhaps you, reader, have a similar piece?). The closest performance I've heard was actually from someone on this board who is not a professional.
Hawgdriver - I've sent you a Private Message. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner looking for purchase advice
by savagekeys - 12/05/20 11:21 AM
Fazioli soundboards
by Withindale - 12/05/20 10:08 AM
Practice and resting
by Ubu - 12/05/20 05:25 AM
Strange phenomena....
by piano_primo - 12/05/20 12:55 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,279
Posts3,030,850
Members99,491
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission